The Newb of Newbies Topic

Been considering doing this for over a year now, finally decided to go ahead and give it a shot.  So far I've been trying to figure everything out on the fly and I can tell I've wasted some valuable recruiting money doing so (me not reading all the rules of only 6 players in a class and taking a team with 8 open scholarships so as to build something from scratch basically).  Any advice would be helpful as I've picked up a good bit just from reading through the forums.
9/1/2012 11:01 PM
feel free to site mail me with any questions..... reading the forums is the best way to get quick answers though
9/1/2012 11:15 PM
Brianxavier is a great resource. Use him! He helped me a ton, especially early on. Was in a conference with him which was excellent learning experience. Take advantage of his willingness to help ;)
9/2/2012 10:34 PM
So this question is more for future reference, but I had 8 openings for this season, and I went and spent almost a third of my recruiting budget on getting a single player.  Granted he is over a 600 rating but he is also transferring in as a senior, I feel like I went a bit overboard when going after him.
9/3/2012 6:38 PM
I'm not exactly sure what the question was, but yes, you probably overspent on a guy you're only going to get for 1 year.  Brianxavier can help you much more than I can, but with 8 openings, you should and try and redshirt one player and get a couple of JUCOs/Transfers to start balancing your classes.  Having that many openings every 4 years often means your team is going to be very good when they're Jrs/Srs but very bad when they're Fr/So.
9/3/2012 6:50 PM
that is certainly an easy situation to find oneself in....  It is not uncommon to spend a lot of cash on one player when in a battle.  it really comes down to how much each party is willing to spend.  that said, a player like Mr. Wright will certainly help your team immediately - especially since he has the correct IQ to match your  offense and defense.... and I see that almost all the upper-classmen you signed are like that.  this should help your team a lot this year (although I didn't look at your returning players to see how good your overall team will be). 

really it all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish - do you want to be good this year?  then maybe you should grab a bunch of jucos and transfers if you able.  Or are you trying to build a 'dynasty' and be good every year?  then you need to balance your classes out.... eventually you can do both - be good every year and have mostly balanced classes. 

way back in the day, I was told a good coach can go to the NT every year.  I agree with this.  It's probably harder though if you are top heavy and a less experienced coach though since you can't make many recruiting gaffs and win with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores.

whatever you decide, this is still a learning year.  you have 6 seniors leaving after this season too, so you can re-set a little bit and learn from your experiences.

like real life, it seems that most coaches who win the national title do so with 4 year players.  sometimes they bring in a player or two to compliment things, but it probably just depends on their need and availability.  there are some coaches that do well with more jucos and transfers too but I think it's  a little more difficult given the IQ issue.

9/3/2012 10:32 PM
Well I guess I am doing something right since I had the #2 ranked recruiting class for DIII, or maybe I got a bit lucky.
9/5/2012 2:25 AM
Keep in mind that the recruit class rankings don't look at what class a guy is in, so mostly your class is ranked because you pulled in some upperclassmen to boost the average ratings of your recruits.

I would not have signed the two freshman PF's that you signed because of their terrible ATH.  I am sorry to tell you, but ATH wins games maybe more than any other category.
9/7/2012 5:33 PM
I'm still learning all these nuiances about the game, I figure it will take 2 or 3 seasons before I really know what I'm doing, then 2 or 3 more seasons to "fix" my mistakes from the first couple of seasons.  But I am enjoying playing as this game is right up my alley in the kind of games I like to play and that's what is important to me, being successful and winning is secondary to me.
9/8/2012 3:16 PM
we're glad to have new players and happy to help in any way.  part of the enjoyment is figuring it out of course, but you are right in that it takes a few seasons to get the hang of it. there's tons of information on the forums and lots of players willing to help.  it can be addicting.  I keep myself to just 2 teams so that I don't get too carried away (family wouldn't like that). 
9/8/2012 8:07 PM
Egijr, I am sorry if my message about your signings came off as harsh or jerky or anything like that.  Not my intent, was just giving a candid view.

Yes, this is a great game and we always want new coaches to stick around!  Add me to the list of coaches that you can send sitemail if you want opinions or advice.  I know I do some things that are unconventional with my team but have had some success, so I think have good reasons for some of the quirks.
9/9/2012 12:20 PM
Its all good, I tend to be rather blunt at times about stuff when I know what I'm doing and someone else doesn't.
9/9/2012 1:48 PM
Does a coach take any hit in presitge or anything like that if a player decides to transfer?
9/30/2012 1:08 PM
I think it's a reputation hit, which impacts future job consideration.  anyone else know if it does anything besides that?
9/30/2012 7:34 PM
Nope, I think that's all it does is a rep hit to the coach. Not sure how much the drop is or if it's different from just cutting a guy. I've never successfully managed to run anyone out of town except my ex-wife. 

9/30/2012 8:27 PM
12 Next ▸
The Newb of Newbies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.