Round 2 Themes Topic

Great themes as always.  2 comments: 1) Did we not do something simliar to the 120mil theme recently (perhaps even last year)? 2) The first 6-10 rounds of the reverse salary draft should be riveting with all the 200-300k guys taken ;)
9/3/2012 9:59 PM
This is mostly a curiosity based question because I'm a long way out of the cage, but how do you tend to do draft timing?
9/4/2012 1:20 AM
So the maximum salary you could pick in round 1 of the reverse salary draft is about 4.3 million? (110mil/25 = $4.4mil per slot). So if I wanted to, I could draft 25 guys right around 4.4 million? Provided they went in the right order?
9/4/2012 12:18 PM
Posted by fooolishfool on 9/4/2012 1:20:00 AM (view original):
This is mostly a curiosity based question because I'm a long way out of the cage, but how do you tend to do draft timing?
Forum drafts, one pick per day (30-minute time slots).   We'll start a couple of days before the schedule kicks in (with no skips).
9/4/2012 12:39 PM
Posted by jfranco77 on 9/4/2012 12:18:00 PM (view original):
So the maximum salary you could pick in round 1 of the reverse salary draft is about 4.3 million? (110mil/25 = $4.4mil per slot). So if I wanted to, I could draft 25 guys right around 4.4 million? Provided they went in the right order?
Yes, in theory... if you can find 25 guys that have a salary in that small range.  During the draft updates, I will probably include a formula-based "Max Salary" calculation, to make sure people don't overspend. 

Assuming 100K increase per pick, something like this...

Max Salary for next pick = [($110M - current salary) / (Picks left)] - [(Picks Left - 1) * $50K]

Example, My team salary is $80M with 4 picks left....

Max Salary on Next pick = [($110M - $80M) / (4)] - [3 * $50K] = $7.35M

This assumes your next 4 picks would be in the range of $7.35M, $7.45M, $7.55M, $7.65M
9/4/2012 12:52 PM (edited)
Here's another example.  Let's assume you've made seven $200K picks.  The max salary calculation would give you a maximum of $5.18M for your next player.  This assumes your next 18 players would range from $5.18M to $6.88, with small increases for each successive pick.
9/4/2012 12:52 PM
Is the draft order going to be static for rounds 2-25 of the salary draft?
9/4/2012 1:46 PM
The draft order will be 1 thru 24, 24 thru 1, alternating each round. 
9/4/2012 2:37 PM
For the $110m theme, my preference would be to have a hard rule that you couldn't pick a player that exceeded your allowed Max Salary allotment (which hopefully is updated at the conclusion of every round).  That way you wouldn't have to worry about people being blocked and everything that entails.

If for example, I were to exceed the max salary for a round (thus making it impossible for me to complete all 25 picks), would I be allowed to continue picking in order to block other people's selections?  And once, everyone else drafts how would you handle differing # of picks (ex. I would need 5 picks to finish my roster versus another owner who might only need 2).  Would I get the first n picks until I caught up or what?  And would the players that get dumped back be available again for selection by only those people who need picks?

If we made it that you couldn't make an invalid roster (but your range of selections get smaller and smaller instead), I think all these problems go away.
9/4/2012 3:02 PM
Posted by schwarze on 9/4/2012 2:37:00 PM (view original):
The draft order will be 1 thru 24, 24 thru 1, alternating each round. 
Won't this give a double advantage to whoever picks early as they'll get to pick early in both round #1 and round #25 (which is probably the most important round).  Why not do rounds 2-25 based on team salary (with ties going in reverse order of the previous round).

If everyone picks $200K scrubs in round #1, then it does go 1-24, 24-1, but if the last guy picks $1M dollar guy, he picks #48 (last in the 2nd round).
9/4/2012 3:08 PM

I agree with you.  I don't want the headache of dealing with that mess.  

Making a rule to prohibit somebody from going over the max salary at any time is probably the way to go.  Keep in mind that the max salary calculation has some built-in wiggle room, so I would allow some leeway if somebody barely goes over it as long as they can demonstrate they can still make the cap. (This would really only come into play during the last couple of rounds).

I am going to re-word the rule.

9/4/2012 3:15 PM
I assume for the 90M theme it is not necessary for the two teammates to be both WIS eligible for the year they were teammates (assuming they at least played 1 game together via www.Baseball-Reference.com) but they have to be both WIS eligible for the two years you actually select for their teammates.
9/4/2012 11:40 PM
First point: Correct. 

Second point: You actually have to use these two players (so yes, they have to be WIS eligble)... but you can use teammates from either player even if the year they were teammates, the player in question is not WIS eligble. 

So the bottom line:

1st: Find two players that played on the same team during the same year (that makes them teammates)
2nd: Any season/team combination that either of those players played at least one game, you can take any teammates from those teams.
9/5/2012 12:14 AM
Just to make sure I'm clear on how the 90m theme works, if I expand on tjefferson example of selecting 2007 A-Rod, the 2nd selection of 2001 Ichiro Suzuki as the other teammate, the 23 teammates could come from any of the following seasons: 94-12 Mariners (split between A-Rod/Ichiro), 01-03 Rangers, 04-12 Yankees.
9/5/2012 2:35 AM
Correct.
9/5/2012 9:09 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.