Coaches & Hiring Process Topic

Posted by damag on 9/20/2012 12:21:00 PM (view original):
There's a lot of "could", "should", "maybe", and "might" in that explanation.  But there's also debate in another forum about how much real difference health ratings make.  Now, if there's no consensus on the difference 30 points in health ratings between two players makes, it does lead one to ask how much difference three points between coaches makes.  From the budget ranges I've seen set, and the way owners go about choosing their coaches, I would guess that a large number of experienced owners have come to view admin's explanation of the coaching process as more or less cosmetic.

damag, You may be right. 1 win during a season is .61% of the season.
Any baseball fan knows that losing a game can come down to pulling a pitcher a batter too late, not pinch hitting at the right time or sending a runner incorrectly.

Maybe having coaches that are 5% better than the average won't make enough of a difference to win that one game...and maybe you can basically ignore the coach hiring process and just take the easier to grab that are available. Perhaps the developers are completely making it up and coach ratings are completely meaningless...more likely though they will make a slight difference...and that difference might be enough to win that one game. With all the time you have to spend to have a good team in HBD....spending a few minutes extra on coaches is probably worthwhile...at least it is to me.

9/20/2012 6:05 PM
I'll break it down a little further(using players).

You're pursuing FA.   Player A has hitting ratings of 77/71/55/65/75,   Player B has 77/69/55/64/72,    Everything else is identical.   You can get one for 675k.  The other goes for 2.675m.   Which one do you sign?
9/20/2012 6:30 PM
Posted by stews_blues on 9/20/2012 3:28:00 PM (view original):
I think WIS needs to open coaching and treat them similar to players or simplify it to the same level as scouting, medical, or training. 
+1.  But since HBD seems to be dead game, I don't ever see this happening.

9/20/2012 7:02 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/20/2012 6:30:00 PM (view original):
I'll break it down a little further(using players).

You're pursuing FA.   Player A has hitting ratings of 77/71/55/65/75,   Player B has 77/69/55/64/72,    Everything else is identical.   You can get one for 675k.  The other goes for 2.675m.   Which one do you sign?
What if one is 675K and the other is 577K but you have to work the negotiations for a day longer? At the BL level you can almost always get better coaches if you're willing to work negotiations, offer different jobs and prioritize which ratings other than the main rating is important.

or not... and maybe it doesn't make a difference...or you lose one game because of it. No biggie right? 

9/20/2012 8:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/6/2012 4:11:00 PM (view original):
This has been discussed a million times.  First, coach hiring is as easy, or horrible, as you make it.   If you obsess over 2-3 points, it's going to be tough on you.  At the BL level, there are TONS of capable coaches.  Fretting over that 87 when there are ten 82s will age you quickly.    Second, LT deals are another way for a spiteful, or just plain bad, owner to set back a franchise.   Sign a bunch of horrible coaches to big money, long-term deals and you've wrecked a franchise for the forseeable future.    Finally, if you abide by the "Don't worry about 3 points" rule, you don't have to check in every half-cycle.  You'll be fine if you miss a couple.
This is what you took exception with.  It was in response to people complaining about the rigors of coach hiring.   I gave them a simple way to avoid the mess. 

Now I know you have a tremendous boner for me but, please, tell me how one can avoid hating coach hiring while worrying over an 85 when ten 82s are waiting on you.
9/20/2012 9:09 PM
I spend at MOST a half an hour each season on coach hiring and I have only been burned once - when I missed out on all the FI in the world and got stuck with a fairly low one.  But I took that guy who was 26 and a 57 rated FI and rehired him until he left as a 34 (?) FI with a rating in the 80's.

I always feel pretty solid about my ML coaches and fairly comfortable with my minor league coaches.  I spend about $9-$10 mil a season on coaches.  Of course this could all explain why I can't win a WS...but who knows.
9/21/2012 1:02 PM
I don't believe anyone can do a good job of coach hiring if they can't log in at least once, maybe twice a day, during the first few days of the process, and then 3-4 times a day once coaches start accepting offers.

Every time I'm unable to log in during coach hiring (which seems to happen about 1/3 of the time) I end up with crappy coaches at several MinL positions.  So then I have to move prospects to the wrong level to get them with better coaching.  All while I've got money in the budget and there are plenty of good coaches who won't drop a level for any amount of money.

Completely unrealistic.

Mike's picking out one example from one work with a lot of fielding coaches with ratings & the 80s and claiming there are that many similar coaches for every role at every level. It's not true.

9/21/2012 4:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/6/2012 4:11:00 PM (view original):
This has been discussed a million times.  First, coach hiring is as easy, or horrible, as you make it.   If you obsess over 2-3 points, it's going to be tough on you.  At the BL level, there are TONS of capable coaches.  Fretting over that 87 when there are ten 82s will age you quickly.    Second, LT deals are another way for a spiteful, or just plain bad, owner to set back a franchise.   Sign a bunch of horrible coaches to big money, long-term deals and you've wrecked a franchise for the forseeable future.    Finally, if you abide by the "Don't worry about 3 points" rule, you don't have to check in every half-cycle.  You'll be fine if you miss a couple.
I'd like you to point out where I mention fielding coaches.

Since I know it's not there, here's how to handle FI:   Decide your high bid on three FI.   Make it.   Check back in later to see if you're the leader.  If not, bid on other coaches(max FI bid again) or wait to see if your 2nd/3rd choice drops to you.

There is no reason to bid 24 times on coaches.   NONE. 

But, hey, what do I know?  I've played over a hundred seasons and don't get all stressed out by coach hiring.   Feel free to check out my current coaches in ANY world. 
9/21/2012 4:31 PM
If it weren't for MikeT23 imagine how few discussions there would be in these forums. Why doesn't Patrick or the other WIS folk participate anymore?
9/27/2012 7:53 PM
I'd like to know why there are so few quality Fielding Coaches.  after the first 4 or 5 semi decent ones, it drops off to pitiful real fast.  Everyone plows big budget into trying to get the quality ones, then when they don't get them, they're left with several million left over in their coaching budget.  real simple fix.  ADD MORE QUALITY FIELDING COACHES INTO THE MIX!.   God knows there are lots on almost all the other categories.
9/30/2012 8:12 PM

FI isn't broken.   HC, BC and PC are.    What's the point of coaches if everybody gets a great one?

10/1/2012 3:20 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2012 3:20:00 PM (view original):

FI isn't broken.   HC, BC and PC are.    What's the point of coaches if everybody gets a great one?

Yes I've only been through one coaching cycle but by the end of it in our world we had a pileup at the top.  A huge number of the HCs, PCs and BCs had all moved up the chain till they were all looking for BC positions.  If you wanted to sign someone quickly, you had to fill from below, and many of the veteran owners were just waiting around to see whose demands would drop by the end.

I will be interested to see what happens to all those guys next season, after having had a season "on the street."

10/1/2012 5:11 PM

Like players, they'll lose some ratings points.   But I don't think I've ever seen one demand BL, go unsigned and then demand AA the following season.   That's not to say it hasn't happened, I've just never seen it.

10/1/2012 5:25 PM
Well I would assume many of them would go back to being satisfied being BL HCs and PCs.  There was a lot of talent going unused, with all these guys wanting to be BCs.  They were much better than the guys already in the HC and PC pools.  Am I wrong?

Regarding FI, pretty much all the FIs appear to be happy staying FIs, so I would agree nothing looks wrong there.

10/1/2012 7:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2012 3:20:00 PM (view original):

Ditto this.  People always miss the point that coaches need to be developed too.  People forget that the first few seasons of HBD we were hiring 70's rated coaches and thinking that was perfect.  

Everyone thinks they HAVE to have a top 10 FI or else they are screwed.  Take a hit, hire a FI with a mid 60's and bring him up and after a few seasons you'll have your very own mid-80's FI that is signing over and over for the minimum.  If every player in the league had this mentality there would be a ton of young FI available.

By the way, you'll notice the same "problem" with 3B coaches...nobody is developing young ones.
10/2/2012 9:33 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Coaches & Hiring Process Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.