Question for good DIA recruiters. Topic

When recruiting at DIA and you see DIAA teams on a recruit,do you, for lack of a better saying, lose interest in the guy?  I'm thinking that if I'm to build a contending team at Army, that DIAA guys are not what I need.  If a DIAA team can get the guy then he isn't going to be good enough to get my team to the next level.  Yet it never fails that the day before or the day of signing for my DIAA teams, I lose guys to not just any DIAs but to elites.  Aren't those guys handicapping those teams?  Isn't that like trying to build a DIAA winner out of DII guys or DII winner out of DIII guys?

Try to remember I am asking the GOOD DIA guys. Guys that win and get to the big dance.  I'm not trying to be offensive but there are a lot of guys out there that aren't to that level and their advice would be as useless as mine.
9/7/2012 8:47 AM
I know you asked for GOOD DIA guys to answer, and I'm relatively in the infancy phase of of my DIA experience, but I thought somehow I could relate to this topic. The one thing I've noticed is that you CAN NOT compete with the big boys for recruits if you're new to DIA. You have no bowl money and the normal recruiting budget won't cut it, so, I think you have to D-IAA guys when you're first starting out. Again, that's just my personal experience to this point. Sorry it exactly pertain to your question.
9/7/2012 9:16 AM
Posted by chaneyj2 on 9/7/2012 9:16:00 AM (view original):
I know you asked for GOOD DIA guys to answer, and I'm relatively in the infancy phase of of my DIA experience, but I thought somehow I could relate to this topic. The one thing I've noticed is that you CAN NOT compete with the big boys for recruits if you're new to DIA. You have no bowl money and the normal recruiting budget won't cut it, so, I think you have to D-IAA guys when you're first starting out. Again, that's just my personal experience to this point. Sorry it exactly pertain to your question.
I agree with you when starting because normally your team sucks and what you say is true.  But guys that have been established or have elite teams I would think is a diffeent story.  I realize teams need backups but why pull them from DIAA teams instead of DIA teams?  An elite could get one from say Army as easily as a DIAA and I would think the guy would be better.  Maybe that is why some of these DIA guys don't do as well as others.  Of course some maybe happy to get the lesser bowls but I'm not.
9/7/2012 9:25 AM
Like chaney said, you asked for good and I am not in that category, but just because I see a D1AA team on a recruit I dont lose interest necessarily.  A top D1AA program will see some pretty high ranked players.  And some that may not be ranked that high are also still pretty good.    A lot of it may be on what your calling a D1AA recruit.  If you want send me a site mail and I can be a little more specific with a recent recruiting season with one of my teams.
9/7/2012 10:07 AM
At D1A, I do my searches on ALL recruits without limiting myself to just D1AA (edit: should have said "D1A").  During a scouting trip, I do not give the "D1A" or "D1AA" designation any thought whatsoever. 

Either they meet my minimum recruiting requirements or they don't.  Either they have good potential or they don't.  And depending on their stats, even their potential might not be much of a factor to me.  Certainly the posted division doesn't make any difference at that level.  So, no, I don't lose interest in a guy because D1AA schools are already recruiting him.  If anything, I know that the kid should be easier to get than if D1A SimAIs were on him.
9/7/2012 12:09 PM (edited)
Posted by cydrych on 9/7/2012 10:18:00 AM (view original):
At D1A, I do my searches on ALL recruits without limiting myself to just D1AA.  During a scouting trip, I do not give the "D1A" or "D1AA" designation any thought whatsoever. 

Either they meet my minimum recruiting requirements or they don't.  Either they have good potential or they don't.  And depending on their stats, even their potential might not be much of a factor to me.  Certainly the posted division doesn't make any difference at that level.  So, no, I don't lose interest in a guy because D1AA schools are already recruiting him.  If anything, I know that the kid should be easier to get than if D1A SimAIs were on him.
I'm not at D1, but this makes sense to me and is the way I would look at it.  At D2, I don't look for just D2 guys or lower level D1AA guys.  I just look for the best players in my vision that fit my requirements.  I think the designations that WIS puts on players is just fluff...like a lot of the other stuff you see.  Its a distraction.
9/7/2012 10:35 AM
Posted by ozzzball19 on 9/7/2012 10:07:00 AM (view original):
Like chaney said, you asked for good and I am not in that category, but just because I see a D1AA team on a recruit I dont lose interest necessarily.  A top D1AA program will see some pretty high ranked players.  And some that may not be ranked that high are also still pretty good.    A lot of it may be on what your calling a D1AA recruit.  If you want send me a site mail and I can be a little more specific with a recent recruiting season with one of my teams.
This exactly. Last season in Dobie, I had FAU, and I managed to pull in not 1, but 2 very highly rated, high potential WRs (According to GUESS), George Watson and Mark Schultz, for D-IAA. They would have absolutely made good mid-major D-IA starters one day, and solid backups at an elite. How I managed to keep the hounds off them is beyond me! In reference to the discussion, I don't think there is a moment that I would lose interest in a guy just because a D-IAA school is interested in him. If the dude can play, I want him.
9/7/2012 11:15 AM
I guess I'm making my mistake by thinking there is a clear cut division in DIA and DIAA players like there is in DIAA and DII or DII and DIII.  Is there an actual meaning to WIS recruit ranking?  I ask because at SHSU and before at Iona, I think I was seeing all the recruits.  I was assuming that their rankings are fluff and only go after one of them if they are on my list.

I guess I have one more question then for DIAA.  Maybe I am battling too much for my recruits.  I have never waited for drop downs.  Are there  decent drop downs for DIAA teams?  I am thinking I should be going for only a few key players initially and then sorting through the rest maybe the last 24 hrs.  Or maybe not even start until the last 24 or 36 hours.  Just thinking I might get some even higher ranked recruits this way. 
9/7/2012 12:52 PM
There are generally D1A back ups left over that can be picked up by D1AA teams that are pretty darn good players.
9/7/2012 12:56 PM
Don't pay attention to the division they are recommended in. You need to develop your own criteria for recruits. Even some of the cores listed on the FAQ are not important to me. I recruit solely based on my own formula for my team that I believe is successful. WIS ranking of recruits is mostly based on their overall rating which is misleading.
9/7/2012 1:07 PM
at DIAA in most cases i wait til the 2nd day to start recruiting outside of a few potential stars.
that way most every has spent their payload and you can then find highly talented players with just sims on them and you can slightly avoid the DI coaches who are dropping down due to strategy or anticipation of recruiting battle losses.

at DI, pay no attention to the distinction made between DI & DIAA in the WIS recruiting search. talent and cores are more important,
ideally you want to grab top 50-75 ranked talent at their respective positions but sometimes you can find some nice gems that are rated as DIAA who are just as good on paper and cost a lot less to turn green.
9/7/2012 2:37 PM
Posted by grindi on 9/7/2012 12:52:00 PM (view original):
I guess I'm making my mistake by thinking there is a clear cut division in DIA and DIAA players like there is in DIAA and DII or DII and DIII.  Is there an actual meaning to WIS recruit ranking?  I ask because at SHSU and before at Iona, I think I was seeing all the recruits.  I was assuming that their rankings are fluff and only go after one of them if they are on my list.

I guess I have one more question then for DIAA.  Maybe I am battling too much for my recruits.  I have never waited for drop downs.  Are there  decent drop downs for DIAA teams?  I am thinking I should be going for only a few key players initially and then sorting through the rest maybe the last 24 hrs.  Or maybe not even start until the last 24 or 36 hours.  Just thinking I might get some even higher ranked recruits this way. 
I have tended to hold back a scholarship or two to wait for drop downs. Target who the 1A teams didn't sign at first. Still need to do some scouting and put a couple CV's in to get interest. I also look for D1AA back-ups to turn green just in case. I offer the D1A players scholarships also, because I have had D1A SIMs come in and take players I have been watching if I hadn't put any effort into them.
9/7/2012 3:57 PM
Like others said, I search for ALL players and search by my cores for each position. He had great potential but low WE, I was so thin at DB I had to start him FR And SO, and increased so much he was good his JR/SR years.. 6th rounder in the draft this season.

I don't look at who else is on him, be it an elite or DI-AA or anyone in between, I have my own specific criteria and it has to fit; regardless of anyone else's criteria it fits or not.
9/7/2012 5:52 PM
grindi, remember that classification of players has more to do with overall rating than how good a player really is.  Typically, there's a strong correlation between overall ratings and GUESS ratings, but not always. 

Also, top ranked AA teams can see LOTS of BCS-caliber players.  They rarely get to sign any of them because they can't compete against BCS teams, but good players do occasionally slip through the cracks and go to AA teams.  As an example, last season with my elite team, Florida State, I found the #17 RB in the country according to the GUESS rankings considering only an AA team, and this was AFTER signings.  He even had high potential.  Needless to say, I stole him from that AA coach who'd failed to sign him for some reason.  How that coach ever even had a chance to sign him is beyond me, but somehow he did.

DI-A teams will also grab players considering AA teams as backups.  They don't always sign those guys, but they're there as a safety blanket.  If they don't end up signing them, they'll go back to the AA team that had them green previously.

Also, I often leave 1 or 2 scholarships open until after signings and try to find a cheap guy who's gone back to "undecided" after signings begin.  Occasionally, I end up having to snag an AA guy instead.  He may not be a stud, but he's cheap and he's better than a SIM recruit, and your guys can't all be 4-star players afterall.

Oh, and it's MUUUUUUCH cheaper to take a guy considering the AA national champion than it is to take a guy considering a crappy A team.
9/7/2012 6:02 PM
I can speak from experience having just left  a non BCS conference.   Taking a recruit who has a  D1AA SIM on him  all depends on the position and certain attributes your looking for.   There isn't one clear tightly packed answer but on the bright side your in the Sun Belt Conference,  which means you have a lot of room for forgiveness from the AD.  
When I was at Tulsa for the first couple of years,  I took a few of those marginal recruits but I  only looked at higher attributes and sent a Scouting Trip to verify what kind of potential talent they may have.   After a few years when prestige builds up , looking at D1AA talent definitely hurts you in the long term bc of the time it takes for that recruit to contribute to your team compared to the solid D1 players.

9/7/2012 6:20 PM
123 Next ▸
Question for good DIA recruiters. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.