THANK YE, PRESIDENT OBAMA ON 9/11!!!!! Topic

I think it's safe to say that you "hate" him as a president and "hate" his policies.  I guess you could argue "strong dislike", but that's really semantics isn't it?
9/13/2012 10:17 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 10:17:00 AM (view original):
I think it's safe to say that you "hate" him as a president and "hate" his policies.  I guess you could argue "strong dislike", but that's really semantics isn't it?
"Hate" is a strong word, one that I typically don't go to unless I'm not being 100% serious.  If you want to say it's semantics, that's your call.  But don't put your words in my mouth.
9/13/2012 10:44 AM
Ok, you win....you "whatever word you want to use for strong feelings of dislike" him and his policies.
9/13/2012 10:46 AM
There is a subtle difference.  In street terms:

Hate - "I'd go out of my way to punch him in the face."
Strongly dislike - "I'd punch him in the face if he gets near me."
9/13/2012 10:48 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/13/2012 10:32:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 9:58:00 AM (view original):
I think you're both really referring to the middle that became disenchanted with him.  Most of us are.

Around me, the people that voted for McCain were angry about his election and worried that he would take all of their money (I don't recall ANY optimism).  They spoke negatively about everything he did.  Heck, even my wife was worried because our taxes were going to be higher.  

Well, I think the "middle" is the barometer by which a Prez is judged.   The extremes "I love Obama and anyone who doesn't is a RACIST!!!" and "I hate all them there negroes" are going to feel the same way regardless of what he does.
Those are very radical extremes that you're throwing out there, so I guess you're referring to a huge middle, now.

I was referring to the voters that typically vote republican but swung over to Obama and democrats that are prone to vote for a moderate republican.  Not quite as big a middle.

However, I'm still surprised that you could walk around a red state after the previous election (where typically 60% voted for McCain) and everybody was enthusiastic and optimistic.  Very different out east.
9/13/2012 10:51 AM
jvford: "A lot of people have a general hatred of Obama"

tec: "I don't hate him, I just dislike him and his policies.  A lot.  There's a difference."

jvford: "Sounds like hate to me.  I'm just going to say you hate him."

tec: "No, that's not what I said, nor what I meant".

jvford "Oh, OK.  (Wink, wink)"
9/13/2012 10:52 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/13/2012 10:52:00 AM (view original):

tec: "I don't hate him, I just dislike him and his policies.  A lot.  There's a difference."

You're absolutely right.  Since hate means "to dislike intensely", I clearly overexaggerated the nuance of your feelings.  On a dislike scale of 1-10, I charged you with a 10 when you most likely fluctuate between a 5 and 7, depending on the specific policy or content of his speech.

I stand corrected.
9/13/2012 11:06 AM
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/13/2012 10:32:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 9:58:00 AM (view original):
I think you're both really referring to the middle that became disenchanted with him.  Most of us are.

Around me, the people that voted for McCain were angry about his election and worried that he would take all of their money (I don't recall ANY optimism).  They spoke negatively about everything he did.  Heck, even my wife was worried because our taxes were going to be higher.  

Well, I think the "middle" is the barometer by which a Prez is judged.   The extremes "I love Obama and anyone who doesn't is a RACIST!!!" and "I hate all them there negroes" are going to feel the same way regardless of what he does.
Those are very radical extremes that you're throwing out there, so I guess you're referring to a huge middle, now.

I was referring to the voters that typically vote republican but swung over to Obama and democrats that are prone to vote for a moderate republican.  Not quite as big a middle.

However, I'm still surprised that you could walk around a red state after the previous election (where typically 60% voted for McCain) and everybody was enthusiastic and optimistic.  Very different out east.
"Enthusiastic" and "optimistic" are your terms, not mine.    And there's a long way between those and "hate". 

"Hopewell with a wait and see attitude" might work. 
9/13/2012 11:10 AM
And I guess that's where our experiences differ.  I saw more of a "this is gonna suck" attitude.
9/13/2012 11:16 AM
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 11:06:00 AM (view original):

You're absolutely right.  Since hate means "to dislike intensely", I clearly overexaggerated the nuance of your feelings.  On a dislike scale of 1-10, I charged you with a 10 when you most likely fluctuate between a 5 and 7, depending on the specific policy or content of his speech.

I stand corrected.
There's a level of emotion, of passion, in "hate".

There is not, in dislike.

You're welcome.
9/13/2012 12:24 PM
I saw a lot more "This sucks" when another option was in sight.   Personally, I thought it was gonna suck for a long time but that didn't stop me from being hopeful.   When unemployment didn't get better and Obamacare became a given, hope was lost.   The nation he hopes to create isn't a nation I believe in.
9/13/2012 12:27 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/13/2012 12:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 11:06:00 AM (view original):

I stand corrected.
There's a level of emotion, of passion, in "hate".

There is not, in dislike.

You're welcome.
Thanks for clarifying "intensely" for me.  You must be the go to guy for this stuff in your office.
9/13/2012 12:39 PM

Thanks for hearing what you want to hear, and not what was said.

You could have a nice career as a political commentator.

9/13/2012 1:04 PM
Would you say you "hate" jvf or "intensely dislike" him?
9/13/2012 1:06 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
THANK YE, PRESIDENT OBAMA ON 9/11!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.