Turn off Minimum Roster Size Prior to the Season Topic

Posted by kschoenberg on 9/14/2012 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Al, where are they emptying a level to? Presumably they're sending them to another level that needs players. So there is no net loss of players on the teams rosters. In my 20+ seasons I've never had a rollover occur where all of my levels had 20+ so it's happening. I'm just suggesting a way to take the pain out of making your teams legal.

The minimums also don't protect against a team having no catchers, no MIs or no starting pitchers. There are plenty of ways for the owner that doesn't care to destroy a team...making it harder on the ones that do care really is of no benefit.

The problem isn't allowing them to move them out initially, it's having no way to force someone to replace them when the limit is back in effect.

9/14/2012 1:24 PM
Al, but that problem is there anyway. This season I have 9 guys on my AAA roster...if I do nothing, don't promote players or sign new ones to AAA what happens when the season starts? If I have no money left because I spent it on BL FAs and I don't have enough players in my organization then the same thing that happens under your scenario right?

I'm just looking to make it easier for owners that care to move their players around prior to the season. This is no the optimum solution...the game needs a better interface for organizational movement, but that would probably require more effort than WIS is interested in giving the game (which appears to be a pretty small amount lately). The change I'm talking about would most likely not require a lot of work on their part and might make one aspect of the game a bit less of a drudge. The present system kind of promotes what Mike did...just slapping players around quickly to fill spots because doing it the right way just takes too long and requires working off the game interface.
9/14/2012 1:29 PM
Posted by kschoenberg on 9/14/2012 1:21:00 PM (view original):
Mike, congratulations you made a bunch of moves with little thought. A monkey could probably do that. The player that wants to put the right players at the right level to promote their development as well as field competitive teams at all levels might do it a bit differently. 

Yeah, I do my "real" player moves at a different time.  This was just filling out minor league rosters.   You know, the meet minor league roster requirements.

Was I somehow off-topic?

9/14/2012 1:33 PM
Hell, I'm in a giving mood.

Here's what I do:
When my season ends at a specific level, I look to see who would start the next season at a higher level.  They get promoted right then.
Season rolls, I resign my minor league FA and place them appropriately.   My real prospects are already where they need to be.
Spring training plays out.  
IF I need players at a certain level to meet minimum requirements, I promote the most "seasoned" minor leaguers to the next level.   The system politely, and quietly, keeps count of how many active and inactive players I have at each level.   I make note of that and adjust accordingly.  Takes me somewhere between 4 and 7 minutes to get everyone where I need them.

I'M A GODDAM ROCKET SCIENTIST BECAUSE I WAS ABLE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THIS WITH STRESS!!!!

9/14/2012 1:38 PM

This little box does the math for me.

Active Roster Sizes (Current/Max)
MLB: 24/25 High A: 25/25
AAA: 25/25 Low A: 25/25
AA: 25/25 Rookie: 18/30

Total Roster Sizes (Current/Max)
40-Man: 40/40 High A: 25/35
AAA: 27/38 Low A: 26/35
AA: 25/37 Rookie: 18/30
9/14/2012 1:39 PM
In both worlds!!!

Active Roster Sizes (Current/Max)
MLB: 25/25 High A: 25/25
AAA: 25/25 Low A: 25/25
AA: 25/25 Rookie: 25/30

Total Roster Sizes (Current/Max)
40-Man: 41/40 High A: 25/35
AAA: 34/38 Low A: 27/35
AA: 28/37 Rookie: 25/30
9/14/2012 1:40 PM
Posted by kschoenberg on 9/14/2012 1:31:00 PM (view original):
Al, but that problem is there anyway. This season I have 9 guys on my AAA roster...if I do nothing, don't promote players or sign new ones to AAA what happens when the season starts? If I have no money left because I spent it on BL FAs and I don't have enough players in my organization then the same thing that happens under your scenario right?

I'm just looking to make it easier for owners that care to move their players around prior to the season. This is no the optimum solution...the game needs a better interface for organizational movement, but that would probably require more effort than WIS is interested in giving the game (which appears to be a pretty small amount lately). The change I'm talking about would most likely not require a lot of work on their part and might make one aspect of the game a bit less of a drudge. The present system kind of promotes what Mike did...just slapping players around quickly to fill spots because doing it the right way just takes too long and requires working off the game interface.
You're missing my objection. You can get stuck in either scenario, but currently, you can't make a decision to punt a level or two and put 10 scrubs there for cost savings. You could if you waive the minimums and then put them back, if you don't add a new way to enforce compliance.
9/14/2012 1:44 PM
Anyway, I already said I agree but just like watching you pitch a bitchfit when someone doesn't say "GREAT IDEA!!!!"

And I also exhibited how simple it is to work the current system.   I even gave you detailed instructions on how to do it. 
9/14/2012 1:46 PM
I wasn't talking about just "filling out" minor league rosters, but setting your organization for the season so you have each player at the correct level that means the ones with BL potential, and the ones that match up well with your coaching strengths or ballpark affects at the different levels and the ones that will make the team at each level competitive. So, yes...I could start with my RL team and just throw two catchers on AAA...but in many cases you're moving players up a step or two at a time. The game as it is doesn't prevent that, but does make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Look, I understand many here care little or  nothing about their minor league teams and even less about any player that doesn't have BL potential. To them this change wouldn't make a difference...but for some reason WIS does have five levels of minor leagues, a majority of the players in the game are not even close to BL quality and WIS went so far as to have playoffs and awards at those levels. At some point someone there thought there was some importance to the minor leagues. In some cases, especially if you're rebuilding at the ML level you can get enjoyment from this game by playing/managing your teams at the lower levels. That's kind of ruined by others not trying at all to be competitive.

I just don't see the benefit of the current system as the same problems people here are suggesting might happen can and do happen anyway. Even the Rule V draft can leave a team under the minimum or without 
9/14/2012 1:46 PM
Are you seriously implying that making sure the 8th season SS with poor 3B ratings is at the "right" level is important to you?
9/14/2012 1:49 PM
FWIW, I'm not saying that it shouldn't be important to you.  Everyone has their own "important" when playing games.   But I'm almost certain that 99.7% of the users playing HBD aren't fretting over their Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Teddy Culver being at the right level to take advantage of his unique, yet limited, talents.
9/14/2012 1:53 PM
And, if you agree, that makes your request very, very self-serving and not an "improvement" that benefits HBD owners as a whole.
9/14/2012 1:54 PM
And I wasn't suggesting promoting from rookie to aaa, I was saying handle promotions from the bottom up. You can that as long as you aren't removing a player from a roster that won't meet minimums after the move,
9/14/2012 1:55 PM
Mike, trust me I'm not upset...and as I've said with your posts there's little to be gained from them.

I know how to move players in the current system.

This is a suggestions forum...I'm suggesting something that I believe might the game a little better. You, on the other hand, admit to only contributing to this thread (as I'm sure many, many others) to create something negative and potentially deter others from making suggestions.

The fact that WIS allows you to carry on this way is probably indicative of how little they care for this forum.
9/14/2012 1:55 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 9/14/2012 1:55:00 PM (view original):
And I wasn't suggesting promoting from rookie to aaa, I was saying handle promotions from the bottom up. You can that as long as you aren't removing a player from a roster that won't meet minimums after the move,
Al, when you do it from the bottom up you then start to hit the roster caps.

Obviously it's not impossible with the current system, but what you end up with is either doing basically single player transactions one at a time or having a huge list of pending moves which then makes it difficult to figure out just who is really on a roster in the GM screen because the player might already be involved in another move. 
9/14/2012 1:59 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Turn off Minimum Roster Size Prior to the Season Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.