I think you should stick with the one off/def thing for at least two full seasons to be sure that you have a good data set to review.
11/7/2012 6:22 PM
Well it finally happened. After the 55th game(Last game of 2nd season) my players went from an F to a D-. Not just in motion/man-to-man, but in all offenses and defenses. The one sophomore who didn't was Blair and that must just be due to the fact that his WE(35) is lower than the other sophomores. I suspect he will switch over a few games into the next season. I knew this happened at some point and Iguana had already spoken of this earlier, but now we know it is right around the end of 2nd season or beginning of 3rd depending on WE.   
11/8/2012 2:19 PM
Well once recruiting is over tomorrow this experiment will start to get very interesting. The team still has tons of upside. Knight's PER will top out at 99. Looking at the practice plan their is still blue all over the place for these players and we already appear to be a top 20 team talent wise.  I expect no less than a top 50 RPI and an NT appearance at the very least. Top end i would say 15-20 RPI and Elite 8.
11/21/2012 3:54 PM
Just an interesting thought, and not to try to change the experiment but just for some commentary from others.

We are seeing how IQ effects the team and in this case it's an extreme case with no practice time. Has anyone tried other patterns?

Lets say one season you go all out on skills with no IQ practice, then the next year, put points back into IQ practice and then back to ratings the next season, just
alternating back and forth.

Another option being to just minimize practice mintues. Instead of the usual 15-20 min, maybe only 5 min. You would still get higher ratings because you could max th players faster, and you would still get SOME IQ. It would not be great, but it might be enough to get you to high C, maybe even B's which would be serviceable.
11/21/2012 4:18 PM
Well i guess they don't include knowledge of team off/def into rankings because we have started the new season ranked #3. The committee doesn't care if my team just plays street ball or one-on-one most of the game. They think we've got what it takes!
11/23/2012 4:16 PM
Try all iq practice other than the absolute minimum to keep ratings stable, see how THAT goes ...
11/23/2012 5:02 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 11/23/2012 5:02:00 PM (view original):
Try all iq practice other than the absolute minimum to keep ratings stable, see how THAT goes ...
I'm not sure what you mean. Like 5 minutes in every off/def category?
11/23/2012 9:02 PM
Posted by robotdevil on 11/23/2012 9:02:00 PM (view original):
No, I think what he means is put the very minimum amount into the individual practice plans to keep the individual ratings from dropping and dump all the excess minutes into IQ.
11/23/2012 9:13 PM (edited)
Posted by poncho0091 on 11/21/2012 4:18:00 PM (view original):
Just an interesting thought, and not to try to change the experiment but just for some commentary from others.

We are seeing how IQ effects the team and in this case it's an extreme case with no practice time. Has anyone tried other patterns?

Lets say one season you go all out on skills with no IQ practice, then the next year, put points back into IQ practice and then back to ratings the next season, just
alternating back and forth.

Another option being to just minimize practice mintues. Instead of the usual 15-20 min, maybe only 5 min. You would still get higher ratings because you could max th players faster, and you would still get SOME IQ. It would not be great, but it might be enough to get you to high C, maybe even B's which would be serviceable.

I am hoping this study will help me (and anyone else who studies it) get a better grasp on IQ value. Maybe the sweet spot is 20-25min for practice or not as important and only need 10min to be succesful. So to me if this team can make a Sweet 16 or Final Four I would have to believe that with C+/B- IQs maybe we could have gotten over the top. So I would guess that 10-15 minutes would be good enough for my future teams, although obviously putting more minutes into team practice as skills max out. On the flip side if we can be the #3 ranked team and not make an NT then IQs are VERY important and 20-25min is definitely the way to go. We shall see.   

11/23/2012 9:35 PM (edited)
Posted by dcy0827 on 11/23/2012 9:13:00 PM (view original):
No, I think what he means is put the very minimum amount into the individual practice plans to keep the individual ratings from dropping and dump all the excess minutes into IQ.
Yeah that would be kind of cool to see how fast the IQs can grow, but I don't want to tamper with the current experiment at least for a few more seasons.
11/23/2012 9:34 PM
Posted by robotdevil on 11/23/2012 9:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dcy0827 on 11/23/2012 9:13:00 PM (view original):
Yeah that would be kind of cool to see how fast the IQs can grow, but I don't want to tamper with the current experiment at least for a few more seasons.
Well, that would also be the other side of seeing how important iq was; having your ratings sit still while your iq improved instead of the other way around. And actually it would probably have better control - you would only be making two variables change instead of ten(the ten rating categories)
11/23/2012 9:59 PM
I'm starting to get the feeling IQ doesn't mean a whole lot of anything. At least for man-to-man/motion. After 12 games 8-4 against a tough schedule. #19 RPI -- we shall see how this plays out.
12/1/2012 2:29 PM
I am going to send you a challenge man, I want to see this in action vs a good team.
12/1/2012 2:50 PM
Challenge accepted!

12/1/2012 2:58 PM
IQ still means a lot. Credit for putting together a very solid and savvy schedule, but you're 40-50 pts better than most of those teams, and, well ... based on how many chose to gameplan for you, they're poorly coached. There just aren't likely to be many D3 coaches who are smart and experienced enough to understand how to properly gameplan and exploit things.

12/3/2012 7:01 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11|12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.