THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 12/4/2012 7:45:00 PM (view original):
Looking at some of the stories, I think you may be confused about the right to free speech. You don't have freedom of speech while using, for example, the university email system to mass email all students and faculty. The university is within its rights to restrict that behavior.
Blanket rules are allowed in many catagories.

There are many cases on Christian activities being regulated and everyone else not so much.
12/6/2012 5:13 PM
She was the chief diversity officer, signed a petition against gay marriage and was put on paid leave and then allowed to come back. Would you be upset if a Christian university suspended a teacher for supporting gay marriage?
12/6/2012 9:31 PM
I would be angry if anyone was fired for their political beliefs.

To my knowledge this has never happened.
12/7/2012 4:13 AM
The Chief Diversity Officer position, along with the extra salary it likely brings, should really be forfeit had she actually done what bad_luck said she did - signed a petition against gay marriage.  She signed a petition to create a ballot measure.  Obviously the real intent is the same - she'd like to see the ballot measure pass.  But the reality is that all she did was ask for the question to be decided democratically.  Probably not worthy of removal from that position, although there are definitely universities that would disagree with me.
12/7/2012 6:43 AM
Swamp - She was put on paid leave and then allowed to come back. She wasn't fired.
12/7/2012 11:29 AM (edited)
Ask yourself this question...

Would the same thing happen if she signed a petition for a ballot measure on the other side of the issue.

Your answer should raise some alarm bells in your head.
12/7/2012 12:00 PM
If she had worked for a Christian college it likely would have. Shorter University in Georgia required employees to sign a statement promising not to be gay.

She was the Chief Diversity Officer at a private school. I'm pretty sure they were within their rights to suspend her with pay.
12/7/2012 12:09 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/7/2012 4:13:00 AM (view original):
I would be angry if anyone was fired for their political beliefs.

To my knowledge this has never happened.
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/catholic-school-fires-teacher-for-supporting-gay-marriage-in-self-review/discrimination/2012/06/11/41244

wow, that took a few seconds of research
12/7/2012 1:41 PM
1 I disagree with their actions but it is different. They didnt really fire her, they decided not to hire her again. It is a private Catholic College.

2 This is very rare on this side, and very common on the other.
12/7/2012 1:56 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/7/2012 1:56:00 PM (view original):
1 I disagree with their actions but it is different. They didnt really fire her, they decided not to hire her again. It is a private Catholic College.

2 This is very rare on this side, and very common on the other.
The other lady didn't get fired at all. They put her on PAID LEAVE and then allowed her to come back.
12/7/2012 2:07 PM
The war on christmas is as real as santa claus.
12/7/2012 4:23 PM (edited)
Oh my God Jon Stewart is on tape attacking something Fox News did? Really.

You dont see that more than 2 or 3 times every week!

Why do you have problems with a slight slant on one news network, but you love attack pieces from a completly biased show?
12/7/2012 11:08 PM
Oh my god...interesting statement from an atheist.
12/8/2012 1:21 AM
◂ Prev 1...27|28|29|30|31...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.