THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Talking about it is not an issue. Framing it as a war on Christmas is stupid and hyperbolic.
12/9/2012 11:07 PM
So it isnt the actual issue, its just the catch phrase?

This is the 24 houe news cycle. Stories get names.
12/10/2012 5:19 AM
The issue is that it isn't an issue. No one is waging war on christmas.
12/10/2012 11:57 AM
Well there is a long term pattern of lawsuits against nativity scenes, replacing "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays", limiting of school based performances of traditional Christmas plays, issues dealing with playing songs that have an overly religious theme and using X-Mas instead of Christmas.

Calling it a "War" is a bit of a hyperbole and does possibly alarm people more than needed.

If we want to go down all the stories CNN has given a name to that makes the issue seem more interesting that it might outher be we will be here all night.

So why is the Christian Conservative point of view the one that you seem to feel is a problem?
12/10/2012 12:35 PM
Well there is a long term pattern of lawsuits against nativity scenes

Long term is a stretch but those few and far between nativity scene lawsuits are ridiculous. But not evidence of a war. Just a small vocal minority of people being offended by a religious display on public land.
replacing "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays"

Perfectly reasonable considering that there are like 8 different holidays happening this time of year and not everyone celebrates christmas.

12/10/2012 12:57 PM
No one can tell me how to celebrate a holiday.     If I want to celebrate by saying "Merry Christmas", who is hurt?
12/10/2012 1:30 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/10/2012 12:57:00 PM (view original):
Well there is a long term pattern of lawsuits against nativity scenes

Long term is a stretch but those few and far between nativity scene lawsuits are ridiculous. But not evidence of a war. Just a small vocal minority of people being offended by a religious display on public land.
replacing "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays"

Perfectly reasonable considering that there are like 8 different holidays happening this time of year and not everyone celebrates christmas.

I think the issue is getting close to 50 years, before computers, cell phones and gas over .50 cents. Seems like a long term issue.

And almost every nativity in America now has to follow the so called "Reindeer Rule". So the lawsuits are limited to the watchdogs finding the odd display that drifts to far to Christian imagery.

The question is why?
12/10/2012 1:53 PM
Who cares? Is one random Santa Monica-type lawsuit a year a war on Christmas in a country where a majority of the population celebrates/acknowledges/enjoys Christmas? 
12/10/2012 2:08 PM
Again it isnt the few lawsuits every year.

It is the fact that every city that in the least bit steps out of line is threatened by the ACLU. There is a clear goal to get Christianity out of the public square.

12/10/2012 4:18 PM
That's quite a jump in logic you made there. There is a difference between the ACLU suing cities that put up religious displays on public property and a clear widespread goal to get christmas out of the public square. 
12/10/2012 4:29 PM
How is there a difference?

The ACLU has got small towns scared to have anything that is Christian because they cannot afford a lawsuit.
12/10/2012 6:14 PM
An occasional lawsuit is not a widespread attack on Christmas. I'm buying a Christmas tree today from one of the 2,751 christmas tree lots within a ten minute drive of my house. Yesterday I went shopping at the mall and had to deal with a huge crowd christmas shopping. But it was worth it, because almost every store has a christmas sale. Right now there are literally three christmas movies available for me to watch on regular TV, along with a christmas edition of a reality TV show. Last night I watched an episode of the office that I recorded last week. The main plot line was the office christmas party. My company will be closed on December 24th, 25th, and 26th for christmas. Most other businesses will also close at least one day. The federal, state, and local governments and agencies will close for christmas. Mail won't get delivered. Banks will be closed. Entire television channels will replay the same ******* christmas movie for 24 hours. 

Christmas is alive and well.  If there is a war, Christmas will kick the living **** out of every other holiday.
12/10/2012 6:31 PM
POOR WITTLE ARBOUR DAY!
12/10/2012 6:46 PM
12/10/2012 6:51 PM
Just to bring it a little more into focus.

No one is trying to ban shopping, Trees, Frosty the Snowman or any of the other Secular expressions of Christmas.

They are trying to ban the Christ part. As the fundies like to say the  "Reason for the Season".
12/10/2012 7:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...29|30|31|32|33...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.