THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

And yet, in this case, the thing we are talking about does not walk like a duck or quack like a duck. It's the complete opposite of a duck. Whatever that is.

No, it's definitely a duck. It has all the attributes of being a duck and anyone viewing it objectively knows it's a duck.

It just doesn't want to be considered a duck because that wouldn't fit its agenda.  It wants to be some kind of super duck where the rules that apply to ducks don't apply to it. That's why it is in denial and refuses to be considered a duck.
12/13/2012 2:42 PM
"ALL" the attributes of being a religion?

Like what?

A group of people don't believe something exists. That's a religion how?

If you asked me how Catholicism was a like a religion, it'd be a pretty easy answer. Catholics believe in God. They have seven sacraments. They read the Bible. They go to Church on Sundays. They get baptized, take communion, and confess their sins. There are nuns and priests and monsignors and bishops and cardinals and a pope.

You can do the same exercise for Jews, Christians, Hindus, etc. etc. etc.

You know what you can't do? List all the ways that atheism is like a religion. Because it isn't.

12/13/2012 2:56 PM
You think Catholics and Christians are different?
12/13/2012 4:18 PM
Depends on what you mean by different.

Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity, but as someone who spent over ten years at Catholic schools growing up, I consider the differences between a Catholic and a non denominational Christian to be quite large.
12/13/2012 4:27 PM
What about a Christian belonging to any other organized denomination?  IE the majority of the world's Christians?
12/13/2012 5:00 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/11/2012 4:12:00 PM (view original):
Well, yeah, the last 6 letters are theism, meaning belief in one god, but that first letter makes a pretty big difference. Atheism is the rejection of the belief in a god.

To fall into the category of atheist you don't have to believe in anything, pray, or follow any rituals or codes of conduct. You just have to not believe in god.

As you point out in your definition, religions have those elements - fundamental sets of beliefs and practices, devotional and ritual observances, a moral code governing conduct.

Another definition of religion:

re·li·gion  

/ri'lij?n/

Noun
  1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
  2. Details of belief as taught or discussed.

Synonyms
faith - belief - creed - denomination
Not all that surprising, you also for some reason think theism involves belief in one god...
12/13/2012 5:01 PM
OK...a little nit-picky. I'm sorry I left out "at least."
12/13/2012 5:06 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 12/13/2012 5:00:00 PM (view original):
What about a Christian belonging to any other organized denomination?  IE the majority of the world's Christians?
Who cares? Yes, Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity. Other denominations may have more or less in common with Catholicism.
12/13/2012 5:08 PM
Atheism is a religion in the sense that sitting on my fat *** is a sport.
12/13/2012 5:09 PM
It's a set of beliefs about the origin and nature of the universe.  I don't see why that doesn't qualify for my definition of a religion, anyway.  I'm actually surprised so many people don't see it as a religion.  As I mentioned earlier, if you ever take a survey that asks about your religion, atheist or atheist/agnostic will certainly be an option.
12/13/2012 10:11 PM
"It's a set of beliefs about the origin and nature of the universe."

So is physics.  Is physics a religion?
12/13/2012 10:58 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 12/13/2012 10:11:00 PM (view original):
It's a set of beliefs about the origin and nature of the universe.  I don't see why that doesn't qualify for my definition of a religion, anyway.  I'm actually surprised so many people don't see it as a religion.  As I mentioned earlier, if you ever take a survey that asks about your religion, atheist or atheist/agnostic will certainly be an option.
That's a none of the above or non-religious option. Atheism is not a religion.
12/14/2012 1:19 AM
So what exactly make a religion a religion that doesnt make Atheism a Religion?
12/14/2012 3:19 AM
NOTHINGNESS
12/14/2012 5:46 AM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/14/2012 3:19:00 AM (view original):
So what exactly make a religion a religion that doesnt make Atheism a Religion?
A belief in and worship of some sort of supreme being, a.k.a. God, or a god, or set of gods.
12/14/2012 6:26 AM
◂ Prev 1...35|36|37|38|39...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.