THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

I'm sure we've all been taught things that aren't true.   Hell, I'm not sure if I should eat eggs or not.   Their value in your diet seems to change every couple of years. 

No one is suggesting a religious education.   I'm suggesting that opening up that option by mentioning it wouldn't be the end of the world as some seem to believe.
FWIW, I don't care one way or the other.   I'm just curious why so many people do.
9/28/2012 1:16 PM
I don't have a problem mentioning god in school. But it really doesn't have a place in science class. Not knowing why something is shouldn't automatically default to "god must have done it." Because that's not science.
9/28/2012 1:57 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by swamphawk22 on 9/28/2012 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/28/2012 1:57:00 PM (view original):
I don't have a problem mentioning god in school. But it really doesn't have a place in science class. Not knowing why something is shouldn't automatically default to "god must have done it." Because that's not science.
ID doesnt mention any specific god.

All it suggests is that based on the complexity of life, and the fact that almost everyone in the world has a creation belief, and many of the share similar qualities that maybe there is somethin to them.

The science community clearly is very touchy about anything that might be religion.

All ID says is that a Supreme Being has a possibility all things considered.
Fine, but that's religion (or at the very least, theism) not science.

Maybe god planned evolution and had a hand in the creation of the universe. Maybe he didn't. Either way, it's not science.
9/28/2012 2:50 PM
Art is not science.  Math is not science.  Did you go to a school that only taught science?
9/28/2012 3:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/28/2012 3:31:00 PM (view original):
Art is not science.  Math is not science.  Did you go to a school that only taught science?
Exactly math is taught in math class. Art is taught in art class. God is taught in religious studies class. You dont teach calculus in a literature class, you don't teach god in science class.
9/28/2012 3:50 PM
Ok, you seem a little slow on the uptake.   Here's what I'm getting at:

You don't have to teach "God" anything.   That's not my point.   I don't even know WTF "Teach God" means.   But people are all up in arms if the word is even MENTIONED in school.     Why is that?   What about that specific word incites a firestorm?
9/28/2012 3:53 PM
No idea. You jumped into a discussion about ID and science. I'm not up in arms about someone saying god in school.
9/28/2012 3:57 PM
Actually the discussion was about Christmas and Jesus' part in it.  

And that refers to "God".     I could care less about ID or science in this forum.
9/28/2012 4:29 PM
ok
9/28/2012 4:34 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 9/28/2012 5:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/28/2012 2:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by swamphawk22 on 9/28/2012 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/28/2012 1:57:00 PM (view original):
ID doesnt mention any specific god.

All it suggests is that based on the complexity of life, and the fact that almost everyone in the world has a creation belief, and many of the share similar qualities that maybe there is somethin to them.

The science community clearly is very touchy about anything that might be religion.

All ID says is that a Supreme Being has a possibility all things considered.
Fine, but that's religion (or at the very least, theism) not science.

Maybe god planned evolution and had a hand in the creation of the universe. Maybe he didn't. Either way, it's not science.
Again we are not talking about any specific diety.

We are discussing the theory that life is too complex to have happened accidentaly. That there would need to be a "Higher Power' guiding it.

In theory there should be life on millions of planets, but we have never seen any evidence that life exists anywhere else.
It's not necessarily too complex for have formed on it's own. We just don't know exactly how it happened. Defaulting to "it must have been god" is not science. It's religion.

And, as you point out in your second line, life is extremely complex and the odds are very long on life happening. It makes sense that, with such long odds, life only flourished in one place. But you never know. The universe is huge and we've only explored a tiny fraction of it, there may be life on other planets.
9/28/2012 5:12 PM
Even with our great technology, we've only been able to explore a tiny fraction of the universe. We've barely explored Mars and Mars is literally a neighboring planet.

God is the same as the higher power you were referring to. I'm not talking about a specific god.
9/28/2012 5:26 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.