THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

The ten commandments don't have to be law to be cultural.

You can insist they're religious all  you want; clearly your own logic shows they are cultural.

3/28/2013 1:53 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/28/2013 1:53:00 PM (view original):
The ten commandments don't have to be law to be cultural.

You can insist they're religious all  you want; clearly your own logic shows they are cultural.

Explain that to me.

christmas is cultural. millions of non christians celebrate it every year. They get trees, exchange presents, sing carols, put up lights, and have a big dinner.

The ten commandments are religious. They come from the bible and the first four are directly related to god.
3/28/2013 2:20 PM
Uh, CHRISTmas.   I don't give a **** who celebrates or how they do it.       It became a yearly celebration for one reason.    And it had nothing to do with blinking lights.
3/28/2013 2:26 PM
The ten commandments are just as cultural as your celebration of Christmas - both can be said to be affiliated with a particular religion, and both can be said to have cultural meaning as well.

Two things can be considered religious or cultural - you can't just say one is religious and the other is cultural because it fits your purposes. That shows you don't know how to use logic at all and simply want to pick and choose what fits your own agenda.

It's a good thing for atheist everywhere you aren't presenting a legal argument for religious displays not being on public property.

3/28/2013 2:29 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/28/2013 2:29:00 PM (view original):
The ten commandments are just as cultural as your celebration of Christmas - both can be said to be affiliated with a particular religion, and both can be said to have cultural meaning as well.

Two things can be considered religious or cultural - you can't just say one is religious and the other is cultural because it fits your purposes. That shows you don't know how to use logic at all and simply want to pick and choose what fits your own agenda.

It's a good thing for atheist everywhere you aren't presenting a legal argument for religious displays not being on public property.

Show how someone can make the ten commandments part of their life without it being religious. Just to read them you have to look in the old testament.
3/28/2013 2:35 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/28/2013 1:46:00 PM (view original):
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Both holidays were pagan celebrations (easter is named after the goddess eostre and celebrations go back as far as 200 BC) adobted by christians to celebrate their god. Also both holidays are celebrated by many people without any religious implications at all. Similar to July 4th or Thanksgiving.

Actually BL is right on this (sort of).

Christmas was not literally the birth date of Jesus (which is historically considered to have been in the springtime). Christmas was merely adopted as Jesus' birthday in order to convince pagans of the merits of Christianity. You see, the pagans annually held a celebration on or near the winter solstice (which is usually around December 21), and by giving the pagans a Jesus-centered reason to celebrate they could more easily convert them.

It's fairly similar with Easter. Technically, Jesus' death and resurrection events were historically linked to the Jewish passover festivities, but linking them to a pagan celebration made it easier to convert pagans to Christianity.
Biz says you're wrong mikey.
3/28/2013 2:38 PM
Since you don't have to acknowledge the birth of CHRIST to celebrate CHRISTmas, why do the 10C have to be religious?  Maybe I'll use them as a Bucket List after I read them.

Neighbor's wife coveted - check
**** stolen - check
3/28/2013 2:39 PM
I don't read biz's posts.   And, for all I know, he's right.   Nonetheless, CHRISTmas is the day the birth of CHRIST is celebrated.    It's kind of religious.
3/28/2013 2:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2013 2:41:00 PM (view original):
I don't read biz's posts.   And, for all I know, he's right.   Nonetheless, CHRISTmas is the day the birth of CHRIST is celebrated.    It's kind of religious.
For some people, sure. But for millions of people like me, it's a day to give presents and drink eggnog and not think once about christ or dionysus or saturnalia or osiris.
3/28/2013 2:46 PM
Why can't the millions of people like you walk past a manger scene on statehouse grounds and not give a ****?    After all, millions of people like you don't think he even existed.   Seems like that would make you chuckle at the dumbasses who think he did.   It should make you smile instead of decide it's something to protest.  Right?

I know imagining a bunch of athiests gathering around a tree to eat, drink and open presents on 12/25 makes me smile.   In fact, typing that made me laugh.   Thanks, buddy.
3/28/2013 2:50 PM
Show how someone can make the ten commandments part of their life without it being religious.

The same way you can celebrate Christmas without making it religious. You simply appreciate them for their cultural value.
Just to read them you have to look in the old testament.

No - you can read them in a lot of places, because they're part of our culture.
For some people, sure. But for millions of people like me, it's a day to give presents and drink eggnog and not think once about christ or dionysus or saturnalia or osiris.
For some people, the ten commandments are religious. But for other people, they are simply a display of cultural and historical relevance.

3/28/2013 2:52 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2013 2:50:00 PM (view original):
Why can't the millions of people like you walk past a manger scene on statehouse grounds and not give a ****?    After all, millions of people like you don't think he even existed.   Seems like that would make you chuckle at the dumbasses who think he did.   It should make you smile instead of decide it's something to protest.  Right?

I know imagining a bunch of athiests gathering around a tree to eat, drink and open presents on 12/25 makes me smile.   In fact, typing that made me laugh.   Thanks, buddy.
I really don't give a **** about nativity scenes. But I do understand, at least a little, why some people do.

I'm more concerned with things like the ten commandments being displayed in courthouses.
3/28/2013 2:56 PM
I know I'll probably regret this, but what makes you so concerned with the ten commandments being displayed in courthouses?

Let me guess: You're afraid their historical significance to the shaping of laws isn't significant enough of a reason to post them there, right? (again, sarcasm)

They should probably take down the blind lady with the scales too. After all, some group or person somewhere might worship her and that means she's a religious symbol.

3/28/2013 3:06 PM
I already said use them as a Bucket List.

Hell, if you break all 10 maybe you get a "**** you, Moses" pin. 

You athiests don't know how to have any fun.   I guess the sticks up your collective ***** makes it too uncomfortable.   Angry protests must be more fun when that's your condition.
3/28/2013 3:11 PM
so how exactly should the system work?

No one should be able to sue the government?

Again if the system cannot weed out a few extremeists the system needs refining.

Fact is the left always wanted to gut tradition in America, and they used the Atheists as a reason to get what they wanted.
3/28/2013 4:11 PM
◂ Prev 1...65|66|67|68|69...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.