Posted by moranis on 11/10/2012 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Pitt is better than Louisiana Lafayette.
According to who?

Show me ONE ranking system that has Pitt ahead of ULL.

You are such a loser. LOL

11/11/2012 10:02 PM
where did all the SEC people go?
11/14/2012 8:18 AM
SIX SEC teams in the BCS top ten.

What, exactly, do you want to argue?   That the SEC teams beat each other up and, by default, all have 1-2 losses?  
11/14/2012 8:53 AM
I was just wondering where they went.  We had a lot more people posting rankings the last couple of weeks.  This week just you, me, and cyd.
11/14/2012 9:44 AM

Could be the holidays.

I could argue that all 6 of those SEC teams would be undefeated if they were in 6 different conferences. 

SC-Clemson and Florida-FSU are the only tests left for those 6 doing a complete sweep of eveyrone not in those 6. 

11/14/2012 10:00 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/14/2012 10:00:00 AM (view original):

Could be the holidays.

I could argue that all 6 of those SEC teams would be undefeated if they were in 6 different conferences. 

SC-Clemson and Florida-FSU are the only tests left for those 6 doing a complete sweep of eveyrone not in those 6. 

Those are definitely big games nationally.  The perception of the ACC would be changed a great deal if Clemson and FSU both win. 

Georgia Tech still plays Georgia also, though I would be stunned if Tech actually won that game.

11/14/2012 11:04 AM (edited)

Yeah, I looked at that one and said "Nope, not happening."

TAMU plays Mizzou and Bama plays Auburn also that weekend.   Not sure who LSU has.   But I don't think any of those 4 are gonna be a problem.   FSU/Clemson are on the edge of the top(#10 and #11).    Clemson lost to FSU and, somehow, FSU lost to NC State.  That is the only "unexplainable" loss among the top 11 in the BCS.  The rest have just beaten each other.  Which, in and of itself, is amazing.  

11/14/2012 11:11 AM
In truth, this is a perfect year to say "An 8 team playoff would leave a deserving team out."     If I had to argue which three of those 11 to leave out, I'm not sure where I'd start.   Care to give it a shot?

I'd go with:
"FSU lost to NC State.  Out."  
"Clemson lost to FSU who lost to NC State.  Out."

And get stuck.
11/14/2012 11:15 AM
You could also say Texas A&M, South Carolina, and LSU all have 2 losses so they are out.  Of course with Clemson v. South Carolina and Florida v. Florida State still left to be played 2 of the 3 to leave out might become a lot more apparent and if there is a major upset that might make for the third. 

Of course an 8 team playoff would have to include the champion of the now 5 major conferences (Oregon, Kansas State, Alabama, Florida State, and Nebraska are leading at the moment), one spot would go to ND, which would just leave 2 spots left, which would probably easily go to Georgia and Florida right now.

11/14/2012 11:22 AM
I still maintain a 16 team playoff with the champion of all 11 conferences and the 5 next best teams (regardless of conference) making the playoffs with a caveat for conference champions. 

I would make a requirement that for a champion to be eligible it would need to meet at least 1 of the following criteria
  • 11-1 or better record (no FCS games counted)
  • ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS standings
  • at least 10 wins (no FCS games counted) and be ranked in the top 32 of the final BCS standings
Thus if you did the playoff this year using my criteria, it would appear that the Sun Belt and Conference USA would not have a representative (though CUSA still has a shot - UCF is 36 and Tulsa is 39, so the winner of the title game could certainly get into the top 32).  The Mountain West might not either depending on how they break their tie, but Boise State is well within the top 32 (San Diego St. and Fresno St. are not).

This system seems like the fairest way to do it and because it has access to all conferences also would withstand any sort of governmental challenge.  I'd make the first round a home game for the top 8 seeds and then move to neutral sites from there.  I would include a midwestern neutral site like say Detroit, Indianapolis, etc. as well as the more traditional bowl game sites of L.A., Phoenix, Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, and Atlanta.
11/14/2012 11:36 AM (edited)
TAMU beat AL.
SC beat GA.
LSU beat everyone but AL/FL.

That's the problem with any playoff system.   Somebody is going to have a case.   I agree with 16.   Of course, this year, you'd have 10 conference champs and 6 SEC teams at this point.   And FSU or Clemson(maybe both as it's possible Miami wins the ACC) would be left out.
11/14/2012 11:37 AM
The way Florida has played since beating LSU, I wouldn't rule out FSU beating them, especially considering they are playing in Tallahassee.

S Carolina without Lattimore will have a tougher time with Clemson than originally expected, but as close as Auburn played Clemson I think SC probably gets the W, even missing Lattimore.

@ Mike:
LSU has Mississippi and then goes to Arkansas for the season finale.

Notre Dame will lose to USC in a couple of weeks, so you could maybe leave them out of an 8 team playoff when that comes to fruition.

I'd be floored if Miami upset Florida State. They just aren't very good, and the Seminoles beat Miami in Miami just a month ago.

Also, if Miami and GA Tech both beat Duke (they should), And NC can beat Virginia and Maryland (Maryland probably, though Virginia may give them a challenge, as they just beat Miami in Charlottesville last week) Then in that scenario NC would be the Coastal champs.
11/14/2012 5:37 PM

I was about to say FL steamrolled SC but then I remembered FL may have had more points than offensive yards.  SC dropped a turd that day.

FSU and Clemson(also home) could both win.    I'd still take both SEC teams.

11/14/2012 6:33 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/14/2012 8:18:00 AM (view original):
where did all the SEC people go?
Who are these SEC people you are referring to?

Besides the three you mentioned:

gregsimon hasn't posted a top 10 since OCT 7th
Anton hasn't either
Knee posted once on P1
Triple H hasn't since Oct 21st
and Crave posted last week but not this week.

So among the people who have actually posted in the last month that leaves Triple H and Crave

I think you'd have a hard time calling Triple H an "SEC person", and Crave is a B1G fan.

I guess the answer you are looking for is:

They are all ashamed since the Bama loss, and therefore do not wish to participate since they can't put an SEC team at #1

Better now...

11/14/2012 6:43 PM
The real question is where have all the Boise St fans gone from the past few seasons?
11/14/2012 6:53 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...16 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.