where do they get these ratings? Topic

It doesnt matter. You can use two Halfbacks. It wont make a differance with blocking. they dont give fullbacks a better blocking rating per se.
7/8/2007 7:29 PM
Just out of curiousity, how do the ratings of a unit compare to its salary?
7/29/2007 1:23 PM
By unit, you mean defense, o-line, and special teams? or something else?
Without knowing exactly what you are asking, I will throw out a couple things. Salaries for all players and units are calculated off of ratings. Most of the times we will weight certain ratings over another to give it more cost. Also, we did not try to keep salaries necessarily realistic. We did not look at current players' salaries to determine what the game salaries should be. We looked more at how the players and units balance off each other to determine the salary ranges.
7/30/2007 2:54 PM
I think I'm along the same lines. What a I meant was for, let's say, a defense, how much is the run rating weighed vs. the red zone rating, etc.
8/1/2007 1:45 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By otto2k3 on 1/01/2006Personally, I think the current system (ratings) has it right, and how you coach your team determines it's success.
Agreed
10/11/2007 3:09 PM
comments from my first season: open league, std $60 mil cap
most good teams seem to be near copycats of each other in terms of personnel and style. In other words, many seemed to have figured out the sim's engine
- offensive line is way too cheap. Everyone pays for good O-lines.
- offense more impt than defense. Very few successful teams spent as much on D as on even the 6 skil loff positions.
- most successful owners pass a lot
- most successful owners set their def to protect against heavily against the pass, since others pass a lot.
- most owners spend $$ for the receivers with great yds per catch, and then throw deep
- most rely on only 1 RB, with 3 WR. Two-back offense is dead.
- injuries play a big role, and so no one drafts RB or QB with poor durability Or even good dur - it has to be 100. Thus, I think they should lwer the cost of lower DUR players
- return teams cost a lot, so most spend little on them
In general, I had fun, but there seems to be only one generally successful strategy, as opposed to multiple ways owners can go about setting up a good team. Game IMHO needs a LOT more balance. But tell me where I'm wrong and I might play again.
11/5/2007 3:19 PM
I can tell you from experience that those pass happy no defense teams are the ones that the really good team feast off of. Additionally, the sim goes in cycles. One Year ago everyone had Michael Vick, OJ Simpson and a great Defense. People do tend to copy what is popular and winning. Once you get a little more experience with the sim you will learn that you can literally win with most any style, if you do it well. I have won titles with a single wing running QB and a great Defense. I have won with Dan Fouts throwing it 50 times a game and OJ running it 30. Find the style you like and go with it.
11/7/2007 5:14 PM
I went 0-16 with 84 marino heaving it up every play. He wasn't even subbed for! Overthrows. Underthrows. Dropped screen passes by Craig and Faulk. One game he went 2-60.
11/8/2007 11:26 AM
i once ran a team ot 14-2 with no passing game, 1 rb, and super defense. tom you can win with any style of team you want as long as you coach them appropriately
11/13/2007 11:06 AM
okay, thanks for feedback, I'll admit I'm a newbie. But here's my #1 takeaway so far: Does ANYONE try to regularly go cheap with the O-line and spend money elsewhere? The few teams I've seen with poor offensive lines do poorly, and it seems most teams buy one of the best lines there are. Are there success stories out there from teams using low-priced T/G/C/G/T?
11/13/2007 2:42 PM
are some QBs much better at throwing deep (yds/play)? If so, where is this reflected in the ratings? I assume Accuracy is merely completion %.
12/3/2007 6:58 AM
i think the length of the pass depends more on the receiver
1/16/2008 4:40 PM
Pass Accuracy affects completion chances and distance is factored in as well. Pass Accuracy is calculated to be comparable for different style QBs, so one that threw short with higher percentages may have the same Accuracy rating as one that threw deep with lower percentages. This means you can be more aggresive with a QB that threw short passes overall in real life, but you should then expect lower completion percentages.
Pass Stamina affects pass attempts, and if you go over, your performance will be hit HARD. This is to preserve balance and the long timers know what I mean. This will not change until there is a way to either refactor costs and let everyone throw as much as they like, or have a way to keep the season totals in check. Right now, everything is kept in check per game.
1/17/2008 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By norbert on 1/17/2008

Pass Accuracy affects completion chances and distance is factored in as well. Pass Accuracy is calculated to be comparable for different style QBs, so one that threw short with higher percentages may have the same Accuracy rating as one that threw deep with lower percentages. This means you can be more aggresive with a QB that threw short passes overall in real life, but you should then expect lower completion percentages.
Pass Stamina affects pass attempts, and if you go over, your performance will be hit HARD. This is to preserve balance and the long timers know what I mean. This will not change until there is a way to either refactor costs and let everyone throw as much as they like, or have a way to keep the season totals in check. Right now, everything is kept in check per game.
This statement explains something that had me a bit perplexed. I just put together a team with '67 Joe Namath on it and his pass accuracy was in the low 70s, 72 I believe. In real life, Namath was barely a 50% passer. I assume then that his relatively high accuracy rating is likely due to the fact that Broadway Joe's ability to hit Don Maynard & co. on long bombs is kind-of, sort-of similar to more modern qbs who throw shorter passes for high completion rates but low yards-per-attempt.
1/22/2008 12:42 AM
Don't forget to scroll down.
1/31/2008 1:21 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
where do they get these ratings? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.