D2 Season 60-- Whatcha gon' do with all that junk? Topic

I'm rarely impressed by my own teams, but Bellarmine has surpassed my expectations this season.  We're 9-0, defeating six ranked teams by an average margin of 17 1/2 points.  We won the Derby City Classic and, in a 'battle of champions', defeated the Yarnell Invitational winner, Harding. 

It doesn't get any easier. My next 4 games are vs. #3 Chico;  #10 Indianapolis; #26 So. Indiana; and #6 So. Illinois-Edwardsville. 
10/10/2012 4:53 AM
Non-con is essentially over and three teams have separated themselves from the pack:

#1 CSU, Chico:  An opening game loss to #2 Belmont Abbey was followed by 9 straight wins.  Six of those wins came over top 40 RPI teams.  12 upperclassmen.  Currently #2 RPI & #6 SOS.

#2 Belmont Abbey:  Simply beat everyone put in front of them, including CSU, Chico.  A perfect 6-0 against top 50 RPI teams.  #1 RPI & SOS #9.

#3 Bellarmine:  Derby City Champion and 9-1, with the sole loss coming to #1 CSU, Chico.  Beat 5 other top 20 RPI teams. 

Who is 4th?  The ratings would have you believe it's Yarnell Champ Harding, but they are only 1-2 against top 50 teams.  Concord is just behind them, with a 3-2 record against top 50 teams.  RPI would have you believe it's 7-3 Incarnate Word, with blowout losses to Chico & Bellarmine (and a loss to U of the Sciences) but 3-0 against other top 50 teams.  The battle for the 4th spot should be interesting.

How's your team?   
IW has only had two games decided by less than 10 points.  We're either very good or we get blown out, the type of team that could get a high seed, but then an early NT exit.
10/11/2012 10:59 AM
Brutal, brutal conference...
10/14/2012 6:06 PM
Anyone else notice a decline in perimeter shooters in the last couple classes? You can still find a high perimeter player but they seem to be garbage in most other categories.
10/14/2012 6:32 PM
Posted by bvb24 on 10/14/2012 6:32:00 PM (view original):
Anyone else notice a decline in perimeter shooters in the last couple classes? You can still find a high perimeter player but they seem to be garbage in most other categories.
+1
10/16/2012 5:16 AM
My team just keeps getting better. I've turned the PG duties over to a Junior who's improved 10 in his PE already this year. T-Seed no longer has to bear the burden of all my scoring like last year. My SR SG is also still improving. We finally have an outside game to match the inside game. We'll be pretty strong by tourney time.
10/18/2012 12:14 AM
I have Bellarmine, Chico, Belmont Abbey, and Harding as my top 4 squads. Chico will be very scary come tourney time with their superclass. 

My Longwood team is still very young, but improved. If we get to 14 wins we should get into the NT. We lack for scoring but our starting 5 plays very solid defense. I really like my sophomore class a lot, so hopefully we improve a lot in the coming seasons. 
10/18/2012 5:22 PM
My St. Mary's team is having a terrible season.  We have lost so many close games I've lost count.  Given how tough the Heartland conference now is we may not get the 14 wins we need to make the NT.
10/18/2012 6:51 PM
Posted by bbunch on 10/18/2012 5:22:00 PM (view original):
I have Bellarmine, Chico, Belmont Abbey, and Harding as my top 4 squads. Chico will be very scary come tourney time with their superclass. 

My Longwood team is still very young, but improved. If we get to 14 wins we should get into the NT. We lack for scoring but our starting 5 plays very solid defense. I really like my sophomore class a lot, so hopefully we improve a lot in the coming seasons. 
Definitely Chico...they dominated my Bellarmine team down the stretch.  No pressure, twiddlebug, but only the worst coaching job in the history of the game could prevent Chico from winning the title. LOL
10/19/2012 3:03 AM
One of the great things about Iba is the great coaches spread out amongst many great conferences. Here's a conference overview, 8 games in. I'm also predicting my 64 teams in. Hope this adds life to this thread. Let me know what you think. 

CCAA - (prediction - 3 in) This is Chico St. and twiddlebug's year. Quite a superclass over there. They are the national title favorites. bvb has Stanislaus in contention for the tourney despite a very young team. Grand Canyon looks pretty strong as well. 

CVAC - (prediction -  7 in) Belmont Abbey is undefeated and a real contender for the national title. Traditional powers Longwood, Limestone, and Erksine have had solid yet unspectacular seasons. Pfieffer should be strong and might garner a 3 or 4 seed, though they lack depth. Barton and former conference doormat Lees-Mcrae are also looking like they find their way into the tourney. 

Cen. Atlantic - (prediction - 4 in). Goldey-beacom, NJ Tech, and U of the Sciences are very strong teams in an otherwise weak conference. All 3 of them could make it into the sweet 16, possibly beyond.  Felician will probably squeak in for a low seed. 

Cen. Intercollegiate (prediction - 2 in) definitely a down year for Bowie St., but they should still find their way into the tourney. Winston Salem St. rarely makes waves once in the postseason, but they've been in the postseason 37 of the last 38 seasons. Expect those 2 to make the NT and fight for the division crown.  

East Coast - (prediction - 2 in) - this isn't the Mercy team of 25 seasons ago winning 3 national titles in 5 seasons, but they still win this conference nearly every season. They should definitely end up the NT. However, New York Tech is the real story here - a true final four darkhorse. NYT has already beaten Mercy by 20 and also defeated U of I in non-conference - they will most probably be the top team from the east coast.

GLIAC - (prediction - 1 in) - Hillsdale , despite their youth, is the best team in the conference. Michigan Tech is the only real challenger.  

GLV - (prediction - 6 in) - This conference is strong this season. Bellarmine is beasting this season, and the ever charismatic greenhawks could coach them to a national title. U of I is right there behind them, having a great season as well with a great three-guard lineup. S. Illinois Edwardsville is very strong, and always in the mix. Wisconsin Parkside and their NASTY defense and ugly brand of ball will get them in the tourney. Mercyhurst has a very solid squad, they are fighting for prominence. S. Indiana should find their way in as a double digit seed. 

Great NW - (prediction - 3 in) - W. New Mexico and Seattle is the big rivalry here - and though Seattle seems more impressive on paper, W. New Mexico won the conference battle convincingly. Pesky Central Washington will get in as a low seed. 

Gulf South - (prediction - 2 in) - Rough times for the once-proud gulf south. Formerly the CVAC's biggest challenge, the GSC has a great and potentially final-four bound Harding team and a W. Georgia team who has beaten up on a very soft schedule, and that's about it.  Looks like they will have many PIT entries. 

Heartland - (prediction - 8 in) - the Heartland has never been this good. All the water cooler talk has been about the Heartland's first win over the CVAC in their non-conference challenge (albeit a squeaker), as well as conversations such as "Damn, where did W. Alabama come from all of a sudden?" and "Who the hell is Montevallo? They're pretty good". Detfire could definitely take Lincoln to the tourney this season, proving the CVAC's loss is Heartland's gain. St. Mary's and Incarnate Word are strong as always, though St. Mary's tough schedule might hurt them as they struggle to find 14 wins. Drury, St. Edwards, and Valdosta St. could all get in at low seeds, making it a record setting year for the Heartland. 

Lone Star - (3 in) - new upstarts Texas A+M Kingsville are leading the conference, with some very impressively close out of conference losses against some of DII's best teams. SE Oklahoma St. and Northeastern St. have seen better days, but are always well coached and always in the mix come tourney time. E. Central could squeak in as a 15 or 16 seed, but i'll place them just outside the bubble. . 

Mid-America (1 in) - The Doormat conference of DII. Pittsburgh St. will win the conference, get a very low seed, and probably get pummeled by a top squad. They are a year away from being very dangerous, though. Nobody else worth discussing here. 

North American  (3 in)- the ridiculously geographically diverse conference with the endless plane flights. Slippery Rock could really make the final four - if they ever make it, this is probably their season with 9 upperclassmen. W. Virginia Wesleyan and Western Oregon should also find their way in, probably as mid-level seeds.

North Central (1 in) - Nebraska Omaha is pretty solid, but their seeding could be hurt by strength of schedule. S. Dakota St. might be sneaking in, but I think they will more likely end up in the PIT.  The rest of this conference is very weak. 

Northeast 10 - (3 in) St. Rose and Franklin Pierce will find their way in, and St. Rose's veteran team might be good enough to scare the hell out of someone in the first round. Lemoyne will make it despite their very robotic, emotionless coach.

Northern Sun - (1 in) Way to beat up on a bunch of patsies, SW Minnesota St.!  They could be pretty good, but are one of the most untested undefeated teams that I've seen. 

Peach Belt - (3 in) Lander gets to the tourney every season, but rarely does much once they get there. Armstrong Atlantic St. looks like the weaker team now, but is usually stronger come tourney time, and is often a spoiler for a top-notch squad. Augusta should get in as a 13 or 14 seed. 

Penn St. - (3 in) E. Stroudsburg St. is for real, and will probably end up with a #2 or #3 seed, and a few tourney wins. Cal U PA will probably be a mid-level seed, and either Shippensburg and Kutztown might squeak into the tourney. (the other will be a top PIT seed)

Rocky Mountain (2 in) - as usual, a 2 horse race between Adams St. and Mesa St., one of the more underrated DII rivalries out there. Neither team usually raises a huge stink once they get in the tourney, and they should both end up mid-level seeds. 

South Atlantic - (1 in) - I don't remember this conference ever looking this pitiful. Lenoir Rhyne will find their way in, as they always do. Nobody else has much of a team. 

Southern Intercollegiate (1 in) - it's Clark and nobody else, and they play a fast-paced game that might annoy the heck out of whatever #1 or #2 seed they end up against.  This is probably the worst conference in DII. 

Sunshine St. Conference (1 in) - also known as the "Eckerd U. and a bunch of bums" conference. the bums in the Sunshine are slightly more competitive than the DIII-level teams in Clark's conference. 

WVIAC - (3 in) - definitely a three-horse race here. Fairmont St. is new and pretty strong. Charleston is hoping to return to the Final Four, though I see a 2nd round or sweet exit for them. Concord's extremely fast paced offense makes for a tough matchup....they are the #1 scoring offense in DII and score  more PPG than their nearest competitor. They usually do well until they run into a top squad that can match their relentless energy. 

10/19/2012 8:59 PM
Awesome job bbunch! I hope you're right about Lincoln. We haven't played any ranked teams yet, so I'm curious to see how we do when we play one.
10/19/2012 11:43 PM
Posted by greenhawks on 10/19/2012 3:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bbunch on 10/18/2012 5:22:00 PM (view original):

Definitely Chico...they dominated my Bellarmine team down the stretch.  No pressure, twiddlebug, but only the worst coaching job in the history of the game could prevent Chico from winning the title. LOL
wow- nothing like the kiss of death.  thanks for the kudo. I've been known to botch up even the best plans.
10/19/2012 11:44 PM
That is great stuff bbunch.  I look forward to your conference recap at the halfway point of every conf season.  ;)

And seriously twiddlebug, if you don't win it with that team, something's wrong.  I give you the 2nd dreaded "vote of confidence."

Shame about the Gulf South.  Not sure why no one wants to play with hackerhog anymore.

10/20/2012 1:33 AM
Posted by davefilby on 10/20/2012 1:33:00 AM (view original):
That is great stuff bbunch.  I look forward to your conference recap at the halfway point of every conf season.  ;)

And seriously twiddlebug, if you don't win it with that team, something's wrong.  I give you the 2nd dreaded "vote of confidence."

Shame about the Gulf South.  Not sure why no one wants to play with hackerhog anymore.

Lol - I'm a busy guy, but I'd love to do it at the halfway point every season(if I'm not booked w/ grading Algebra Tests)
10/20/2012 8:49 AM
Great write up bbunch. Loved reading through that.
10/20/2012 10:45 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
D2 Season 60-- Whatcha gon' do with all that junk? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.