Player Ratings???????????? Topic

You can't completely ignore OVR if you want every edge over the other guys.  Paying attention to OVR, and picking up a guy with inflated OVR, may allow you to trade said inflated guy to some other owner who doesn't look deeper, allowing you to obtain better value in a trade.  Some of you will call this trade rape, but when you trade a 88 OVR guy for a 80 OVR guy, and you are getting the lower OVR guy (but better ballpalyer), it is just good ownership.
10/4/2012 4:14 PM
Posted by rangerup on 10/4/2012 4:14:00 PM (view original):
You can't completely ignore OVR if you want every edge over the other guys.  Paying attention to OVR, and picking up a guy with inflated OVR, may allow you to trade said inflated guy to some other owner who doesn't look deeper, allowing you to obtain better value in a trade.  Some of you will call this trade rape, but when you trade a 88 OVR guy for a 80 OVR guy, and you are getting the lower OVR guy (but better ballpalyer), it is just good ownership.
Yes, I would usually call this trade rape.  If an owner has been around for a while and makes a trade like this I either typically look for other reasons s/he might have made a poor trade based on player value (contract status, whatever).  If a new owner makes a trade like this I almost always either mention it in trade chat with the new owner or else bring it up in world chat.  And if I see a pattern of these sorts of trades I will leave a world. 
10/4/2012 4:37 PM
I don't know, I'm a noob and I wouldn't call that necessarily trade rape.  There are all sorts of reasons why someone would overvalue a player - not the least of which is misleading or exaggerated advance scouting.  You don't have a deal unless both guys think they're getting value.  And if someone makes a bad deal, it's on them.

IMO the most important thing for a noob to learn - once you get the hang of how all this **** works - is just what constitutes "player value", because that affects every other move you make.

10/4/2012 4:48 PM
A lot of people here think if a trade is not a complete wash (same benefit to both sides) it is trade rape.  It's a knee jerk reaction because they are not smart enough to see all the different angles of a trade.  Not smart = they are probably not one of the better owners in their world = they will eventually leave that world.
10/5/2012 6:59 PM
If by "A lot of people" you mean 1 or 2 owners somewhere out there, you're right. The other 99.5% view trade rape as dumping lousy contracts, dealing over-the-hill vets for prospects, or trading career minor leaguers for major leaguers with unsuspecting new owners as trade rape. As has been said every time someone complains about having a trade blocked, if 10 owners veto a deal, it's a bad deal.
10/6/2012 12:35 AM
I have been trade raped at first but now I am more aware of certain owners and do not trade with them its usally a one sided trade that does me no good
10/10/2012 1:35 PM
In the World Camp we decided that the term "Trade Rape" was too offensive. So we preffer to go with "Surpise Sex" instead. Camp was truly a fun world and I wish I could have stayed.
10/11/2012 1:58 PM
◂ Prev 12
Player Ratings???????????? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.