Update Status - 10/1 Topic

The let's-buy-the-old-code thing was attempted. It was denied.
10/22/2012 11:43 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I remember playing GD for the first time, using the "old engine". I played 3 seasons and quit, swearing I would never play this "crap" again, and I didn't for about 2-3 years. I couldn't stand it! It was predictable, boring and all in all possibly the WORSE SIM game I had ever played!

I know its been said before. But, here it goes again. It took a few seasons, but if you put the time in and actually studied the game. There was a method to the madness. Sure it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but that was the same for everybody. Not just the "so called" top coaches. No, you couldn't just pick a team and immediately compete for a NC. You had to build your squad. Learn what those other coaches had learned over the seasons. Nobody gave you anything. But, you had so much more control over your team, and over your gameplan, that in 3, 4, or 5 seasons you could actually compete to a degree. There were no newbies winning NC's. There was no overwhelming randomness. Your success depended on you building a team, not the engine. If you like the coin flip philosophy, well thats your preference. I simply preferred the old engine.  Just my 2 cents.........(the end).
10/24/2012 10:52 AM (edited)
coach_deen and shonuff504:  You both overstate your positions.  Both engines weren't as good or bad as you say.  But the next engine will need to be better than both of them or the 2nd mass exodus could cripple this product line. 

It is my expectation that the next engine will be superior in control and game balance, but will require more real time adjustments to remain competitive.  No more setting a depth chart/game plan at the beginning of the season and then checking back in to make final adjustments for the playoffs (which is basically true for both GD v1 and v2).  They guys who were good at figuring out either of the first 2 engines are going to be the same guys who figure out how to be dominant in the 3rd. 

The complaints about the next engine will likely revolve around the additional complexity and time consumption that will end up confusing and dissuading newbies.  So even then, it won't be perfect.  But I think we will be a lot closer to playing the college football simulation we have been wanting to play for all these years.
10/24/2012 11:51 AM
Posted by shonuff504 on 10/24/2012 10:52:00 AM (view original):
I remember playing GD for the first time, using the "old engine". I played 3 seasons and quit, swearing I would never play this "crap" again, and I didn't for about 2-3 years. I couldn't stand it! It was predictable, boring and all in all possibly the WORSE SIM game I had ever played!

I know its been said before. But, here it goes again. It took a few seasons, but if you put the time in and actually studied the game. There was a method to the madness. Sure it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but that was the same for everybody. Not just the "so called" top coaches. No, you couldn't just pick a team and immediately compete for a NC. You had to build your squad. Learn what those other coaches had learned over the seasons. Nobody gave you anything. But, you had so much more control over your team, and over your gameplan, that in 3, 4, or 5 seasons you could actually compete to a degree. There were no newbies winning NC's. There was no overwhelming randomness. Your success depended on you building a team, not the engine. If you like the coin flip philosophy, well thats your preference. I simply preferred the old engine.  Just my 2 cents.........(the end).
+1. I agree totally.
10/24/2012 1:31 PM
Posted by bhouska on 10/24/2012 1:31:00 PM (view original):

+1. I agree totally.
+1 100% Much much more controle  over who played, when, and how much they played. The right players for the right formation.
10/24/2012 3:50 PM
I have one more season and will add two. If nothing changes in 3 months I am out of here. Too bad too. After 60 seasons.  There has been players with over 200+ seasons, gone. When these players left the game they were so ****** off that I dought that they will ever be back.
10/24/2012 3:54 PM
Posted by fermor332002 on 10/24/2012 3:54:00 PM (view original):
I have one more season and will add two. If nothing changes in 3 months I am out of here. Too bad too. After 60 seasons.  There has been players with over 200+ seasons, gone. When these players left the game they were so ****** off that I dought that they will ever be back.
I too will decide my fate on the new engine. I left after a while and came back because I missed it. But, I can't just keep throwing good money after bad. if nothing changes, I will be outta here also.....
10/25/2012 6:13 PM
Posted by cydrych on 10/24/2012 11:51:00 AM (view original):
coach_deen and shonuff504:  You both overstate your positions.  Both engines weren't as good or bad as you say.  But the next engine will need to be better than both of them or the 2nd mass exodus could cripple this product line. 

It is my expectation that the next engine will be superior in control and game balance, but will require more real time adjustments to remain competitive.  No more setting a depth chart/game plan at the beginning of the season and then checking back in to make final adjustments for the playoffs (which is basically true for both GD v1 and v2).  They guys who were good at figuring out either of the first 2 engines are going to be the same guys who figure out how to be dominant in the 3rd. 

The complaints about the next engine will likely revolve around the additional complexity and time consumption that will end up confusing and dissuading newbies.  So even then, it won't be perfect.  But I think we will be a lot closer to playing the college football simulation we have been wanting to play for all these years.
I agree with you 100% on the next update. It will have to be the best yet, by far, or you're right, we will see a mass exodus. And I for one believe it will be the best yet. I have a lot of confidence in Norbert. Honestly, I guess I really don't know why, probably the fact that he's kept us informed and has listened to what we have to say. Bottom line...I believe Norbert is doing his best, which is all that I ask for, and I believe his best will be good enough!
10/26/2012 1:08 PM
The thing is that we are paying for the product here so there should atleast be more customer service interaction. I understand it takes forever to rewrite these codes but how hard is it to answer some of the basic questions? Or atleast like a once a month overview of what WIS is working on to improve the game. 
10/26/2012 3:09 PM
Posted by ruplayer on 10/26/2012 3:09:00 PM (view original):
The thing is that we are paying for the product here so there should atleast be more customer service interaction. I understand it takes forever to rewrite these codes but how hard is it to answer some of the basic questions? Or atleast like a once a month overview of what WIS is working on to improve the game. 
Umm, what are you talking about?

First of all, if you don't like the current product, don't pay for it.  Just stop playing.  Wait for the next engine or find something else to do with your time.  You can't do it, can you?  You're addicted and now your getting mad at your dealer because of your weakness.

Secondly, just what questions do you want him to answer?  He's already said he's redesigning a brand new system of how rushing and passing plays works.  Its a major overhaul that he has made a lot of progress on but is not yet ready for beta.  Why is it so hard to believe that when he has something new to tell you, he will?

Finally, he started this thread less than a month ago.  How can you complain about him not giving you a monthly overview of what he's doing when he's already giving you what you are asking for?  That doesn't even make sense.

10/26/2012 5:31 PM
Posted by cydrych on 10/26/2012 5:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ruplayer on 10/26/2012 3:09:00 PM (view original):
Umm, what are you talking about?

First of all, if you don't like the current product, don't pay for it.  Just stop playing.  Wait for the next engine or find something else to do with your time.  You can't do it, can you?  You're addicted and now your getting mad at your dealer because of your weakness.

Secondly, just what questions do you want him to answer?  He's already said he's redesigning a brand new system of how rushing and passing plays works.  Its a major overhaul that he has made a lot of progress on but is not yet ready for beta.  Why is it so hard to believe that when he has something new to tell you, he will?

Finally, he started this thread less than a month ago.  How can you complain about him not giving you a monthly overview of what he's doing when he's already giving you what you are asking for?  That doesn't even make sense.

JFC, stop being such a tool.  Do you get compensated for being a WIS mouthpiece?
10/26/2012 6:53 PM
Why do I need to be compensated.  I don't mind criticism of WIS.  There is much to be critical about!  I just wish it was done in a fair and respectful way.  How is that being a tool?
10/26/2012 7:01 PM
I don't think it is "unfair" or "disrespectful" to expect answers more than 1 time per month.  Other games that charge similar prices (or even play for free games) have people answering questions daily. 
10/26/2012 7:32 PM
Posted by fermor332002 on 10/24/2012 3:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhouska on 10/24/2012 1:31:00 PM (view original):

+1. I agree totally.
+1 100% Much much more controle  over who played, when, and how much they played. The right players for the right formation.
+1
This engine is the DICE ROLL ENGINE. The previous engine was predictable, but very fair. The control over the game was good as well. Hopefully more control will be put back into it with the new engine- IF that day ever comes.
The problem is not that I and many others are complaining, norbert may be pressured into getting an engine rolled out that may not quite be right. Hope I wrong on that.
10/26/2012 7:40 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Update Status - 10/1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.