Who wins this recruiting battle? Topic

Posted by bow2dacowz on 10/3/2012 5:58:00 PM (view original):
Why make that many calls or send that many letters? isnt it more value to just put that money into hv and/or cv?
That was my first thought.
10/3/2012 6:53 PM
Team A won the battle.
10/4/2012 10:47 AM
Posted by sull21858 on 10/3/2012 5:04:00 PM (view original):
Equal distance and prestige

Team A
81 Calls
33 Scouts
33 HV
20 CV

Team B
100 Letters
111 Calls
21Scouts
80 HV
20 Promised Minutes

A fellow coach was kind of enough to share information on a recent recruiting battle.
Team A was the first school the recruit considered

Thoughts?
its almost a toss up. the unknowns really are the equal prestige (can be up to 1/3rd prestige grade, or more if A+ is involved - still, pretty easy to have a 5% or 10% swing with even prestige), and the considering credit advantage A would presumably have (depends when all the money was spent, i think, so B could get the advantage there even with A being considered first.. at least i'd think so).

taking out the common parts, we basically have
team A - 12SV, 20CV
team B - 1800 in calls/letters, 47HV, 20m

using my 2:1 HV:CV ratio, team A would have 12 SV to 1800 in calls and letters and 20m, and 7HV. without the HV, those are extremely close in value, its basically a wash. im pretty sure that is within a HV of even, maybe its 6-7HV advantage for team B.

the prestige impact on roughly 100HV of effort can be considerable, even with a modest 5% advantage to one team (i believe 5% is roughly the expected advantage for one team when two have the same prestige grade) - that would be 5HV. considering credit, i believe, could be an even bigger factor. so the 6-7HV advantage for team B is well within the range of the unknowns, so either team could easily come away with the player.

10/4/2012 11:04 AM (edited)
couple questions.
Sull, is Depaul = B?
if so did it take all 21 scouts to get the player to talk to you?
and if so... I would then ask if he spent all 33 to pull the player to him? (since he was on him first).
The teams are D+ prestige I presume... so I see little to no difference in prestige at all. (just no range at all in high or low D+)
I believe the HV / CV to be a dead heat and the possible unknown here would be how much if any effort was derived from the scouting visits.
10/4/2012 11:17 AM
DePaul is Team B

I took a different approach to recruiting this year with a D+. I went JuCo and high ratings last year, wanted to shoot for as much high/high and have these 2-3 players really contribute as upper classmen.

That means I sent out a good amount of total scouting reports to my top 5-10 recruits to determine who qualified as high/high and what, if any, battles I could win.

Then I began actually recruiting.

The player rejected my first 30-40 home visits so I had to pound him with calls/letters/scouts to become considered. This is where I most likely lost the battle. I normally only use calls/letters to maintain contact with a recruit only considering me.

Again, this was a fun battle that I knew was close, was just caught off guard by how close it actually was when I saw the final tally.

10/4/2012 11:56 AM
Seems really close to me, really comes down to how much longer team A was on the recruit before team B.
10/4/2012 11:57 AM
Sull...  how much cash did each team end up spending? Also similar I assume?
10/4/2012 3:47 PM
Team A $35,035

Team B $44,170

10/4/2012 4:57 PM
U mean 34K... ? your #'s are off here
10/5/2012 9:38 AM
◂ Prev 12
Who wins this recruiting battle? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.