Has HD Become Stagnant? Topic

does seble still work......here?   he doent do anything even when we the paying customers ask him to keep us updated on changes that are coming. down with seble!
10/5/2012 8:00 PM
Nice idea for a post.  My own take is that features usually seem popular (Player roles were nice, recruit sorting when introduced was awesome, immediately, the major update to the site navigation many years ago went over very well), while changes to how the game is played, not as much, to varying degrees.

I don't think being a veteran of the game makes one right about everything, but time in the game 'might' make some things clearer, again the operative word there is 'might'.   A couple of random thoughts regarding changes to the game:

1 - by and large change has not been a source of getting large numbers of new players involved from what I can recall, the only thing that has done that is the few times the game was promoted.  One thing I don't have facts on, but my guess is adding worlds increased the number of players, To what extent such a move is positive or negative for the overall game, I have no idea, but I am pretty sure Tark, Knight, and Phalen increased the total number of coaches.

2 - A couple of changes have caused somewhat more than a normal number of coaches to leave the game, I'd hesitate to quantify that quantity in any one case, too many other factors involved, but generally, we lost a few extra coaches due to a couple of the changes made.

3 - Generally, the community learns to accept change, such that changing back would not be a great idea either, hence comments like potential was a great idea, might be better phrased as the community has learned to deal with potential as it is.  I'd hate to see the old potential system now.  Same is true of recruit generation, in many ways, the ship has sailed on the 'old' game, we've moved on as a community.

4 - One reason you see uproars occur on introduction of change, is sometimes the game manager has taken unpopular changes back, delemna's come to mind, hence, those not liking the change will do their best to get the change rescinded or modified.  I don't know how many remember this, but potential worked poorly for 4 or 5 months, before it was fixed for example.

Great idea for a post, I don't really post much any longer, but I pop on every once in a while, and this one caught my eye.  

Sorry for not using my other ID, as this is my alias account.  Oh, and in the spirit of the political season, I'm Oldresorter, and I approved this message.  Take care everyone!

10/5/2012 8:31 PM
Posted by therewas47 on 10/5/2012 7:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zags27 on 10/5/2012 4:48:00 PM (view original):
My point really is, (and I don't sugar coat things much), WIS can make all the cosmetic changes they want to the game.
They don't change what it takes to recruit, practice, and field a competetive team in HD.
Engine changes do.
We barely get a grasp of what actually works, (it takes months), and what has been removed or changed by trickel down effect from engine changes... and some noob wants to spice up the game and has great ideas of how.
Major changes drive away long time HD vets in droves... it's a fact. I don't want to have to re-learn how to play this game. If it becomes more work and requires more time, people leave.
Again, make all the cosmetic changes you want.
The engine and the current game is the best it has ever been. It's basketball, if basketball is boring... do something else.
I really hate the assertion that new members can't have valid opinions, but, regardless, I don't think I qualify as a noob.
Meh, 47, my comments really weren't meant at you directly.
I just log onto the forums once a week or so and it seems every time there's a thread or two (usually by someone with 4 forum posts, and 2 seasons), saying they want this boring game overhauled.
Every major engine change has been poorly tested... and then implemented (usually) with disasterous results.
Eventually they work out the bugs, (or we learn to adjust), and things stabilize.
You say Stagnant.... I say Stable..... I just didn't say it very nicely... sorry, bad day at work.
again, I am all for making the game more atractive, or anything else to help it's success... but I am against making it harder to understand or play. It's probably too difficult now for most new users to grasp before they drop out.

10/5/2012 9:44 PM
zags, I think we agree for the most part.  I don't think we necessarily need far more major engine changes.  I'm just trying to say we need modernization and that small changes would be beneficial.  Most of the important minor changes would be for marketing, simplicity (updating the faq, info boxes), and/or fun. 

I don't want to do anything that completely changes the gameplay.  I'm mostly just upset about the lack of communication from Seble.
10/5/2012 10:07 PM

agreed, my rant was more against change for the sake of change.
It came off much more like my hero VegasKevin than I meant for it to. 

10/5/2012 10:15 PM
I'm still in the belief that currently too big of changes will drive people away. I still remember when potential first came and a lot of people hated it and left. Not that I think potential is bad, but some people get comfortable with the system. I said it before, changes to the game are not going to bring in new players. All it will do is give those of us still here something new to learn. The only way this game will be saved and bring in new users is if they start promoting the game. This is not ESPN, not everyone knows about this site. They have to build product awareness and considering that this game is a small niche market, word of mouth will only take it so far.
10/6/2012 5:34 AM
◂ Prev 1234
Has HD Become Stagnant? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.