As we chat it up on the forums and look through coach histories and profiles, I'm sure we all wonder...what if all the best HD coaches were in the same world? How competitive would it be? How much would a title in that world mean?

My idea: Legends World

The scoop: a world where the BEST current coaches in HD are eligible to join, for FREE, provided they have at least one other active HD team.

You know how those messages pop up in conference corner? "You're qualified for X openings in Rupp, World 3"? Well, on Day 1 of the job change period for Year 1 of the Legends world, only the top 374 current coaches (top being a mix of career wins and titles, with more weight put towards the recent years, only active coaches...374 being my guess off-hand for the number of teams in D3) can sign up for a team in the world. On Day 2, however many jobs are still open, THAT many other coaches get invited. Same on Day 3 and 4, with maybe a few stragglers joining the morning of recruiting to fill the last few spots (stragglers being that, it's open to everyone by this point. If you care enough to win the race to these jobs, you're in).

The season progresses as normal inside the Legends World. Each job change period, the same D3 openings iteration begins. The world should stay 100% full due to the fact that it's free and so competitive.

Since it's full, good coaches WILL get fired, creating somewhat of coach flow. Firings will be enabled at D3. It will be such a cutthroat environment that the winner of each national title will gain instant respect and notoriety amongst the HD community. Coaches like LostMyth and Rails could come back in full force to meet the challenge. The prospect of competing in this world, and possibly winning it, will make the game that much more fun.

You are required to have another team in one of the other 10 HD worlds to continue to compete in the Legends world, or you're instantly fired.

I think this would be an AWESOME addition to HD.
10/6/2012 4:00 PM (edited)
I think it is a great idea in theory. 
10/6/2012 7:35 PM
There'd have to be a no-alts rule, since being able to keep 1,000 miles away would be tougher to do.
10/6/2012 8:11 PM
I wouldn't qualify, but that sounds super cool. 
10/6/2012 10:03 PM
Love it! If I ever qualified I'd take a team for sure
10/6/2012 10:46 PM
Wasn't this idea just discussed a few months ago?  And in the end most of the cooler heads agreed that too many coaches would wind up giving up a paid team in favor of the free team, and it would just be bad business?  I mean, sure, 1-world coaches don't have that luxury.  But a guy like me who tried having 4 teams and decided that 3 is absolutely my limit (in fact, even 3 feels like too many, I'd prefer 2, but I don't want to give up any of my current teams) might ultimately wind up remaining at 3 teams, but give up a paid team and take a free team.
10/7/2012 1:42 AM
Talk about raining on the man's parade.
10/7/2012 6:31 AM
I think you would have to charge coaches for their teams in the "Legends" world, but if I qualified I would definitely do it.  That would be awesome.  I love playing in full conferences and tough worlds.  I'm in (in my opinion) the top D3 world now in Naismith and the top D2 world now in Iba, and success in those worlds means more to me than success with my other teams.  The problem you would have with this concept though would be getting the truly top coaches to ALL agree to do it or it would water it down some.
10/7/2012 7:54 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/7/2012 1:42:00 AM (view original):
Wasn't this idea just discussed a few months ago?  And in the end most of the cooler heads agreed that too many coaches would wind up giving up a paid team in favor of the free team, and it would just be bad business?  I mean, sure, 1-world coaches don't have that luxury.  But a guy like me who tried having 4 teams and decided that 3 is absolutely my limit (in fact, even 3 feels like too many, I'd prefer 2, but I don't want to give up any of my current teams) might ultimately wind up remaining at 3 teams, but give up a paid team and take a free team.
understood, perhaps the legends world could just come at a discounted rate that you couldn't use credits for. Like $5 a season, no matter what.
10/7/2012 3:03 PM
also of note is that the team-dropping could be cancelled out by the coaches who stay motivated and play HD for longer
10/7/2012 3:06 PM
I've delayed commenting on this thread because I am feeling down about some recent results... right now I might qualify for this world, but the way things have gone I can't even win where I'm at, so there is no way in hell I'd want to up the level of competition. I'm already a paper tiger... but like I said, mostly that's me being depressed maybe...

most importantly though this idea is too cool for WiS to ever go through with it anyway, so the discussion is probably moot. 
10/7/2012 5:15 PM
You also have the issue of world speed.  Some guys aren't interested in playing 1-a-day worlds, others don't feel they have time for 2-a-day worlds.  You'd hope that a guy like billyg would play a Legends 1-a-day, but there may be some coaches who just wouldn't be interested.
10/7/2012 5:27 PM
I like the idea, but I don't think it would work for free.

First, WIS isn't going to like giving away free teams when it can make money on them. As someone pointed out, that's just not good business. It will likley cost them money as people who otherwise pay for teams would simply use a free team, which someone else also pointed out already.

Second, it's not really fair to coaches who don't qualify that some people get free teams and yet they don't. Sure, you get credits and prizes for being sucessful, but that should be the limit to getting free things for success. You shouldn't get into a world where it's free to play simply because you managed to achieve some arbitrary measure of sucess (or are fast enough to fill the remaining spots, which would go like proverbial hot cakes if they were free).

If you're going to do it, they would need to charge for it. Also, you'd have to have very SPECIFIC guidelines for who qualifies for the world. Meaning something like "you need to have had this many NT appearances and/or wins" to get into it.  This goal has to be attainable by a reasonable number of coaches and yet be something not everyone can get to within a season or two.

You'd also have to have the goal be the absolute cut off - no one gets in because they're the fastest to fill the remaining roles, because that compromises the point you're trying to make by doing it in the first place. When you qualify, you get in. After all, no one can simply fill DI slots in other worlds without qualifying simply because they are available.

10/8/2012 11:10 AM
Bistiza I have to concede you're probably correct on the world being free, but I disagree with your entry requirement sentiment. I think, to an extent, having some mystery to whether you'll qualify for the world increases excitement for applicants. Perhaps a modest minimum for the fill-in players makes sense, but part of the point is the world has to be full. You don't want it to be like D1 in that way.

What is the real benefit in having specific guidelines? Video game design 101 is to make it so you could find that special item at any moment, to keep you playing. See: borderlands 2 or WoW. There should be a shadow of a doubt that if you quit now, you might be only 1 season away from qualifying for the legenda world. Are you trying to reduce forum complainers? Because the complaining will change from "how am I not invited?" to "the restrictions are dumb!"

In conjunction with the world, perhaps there should be a Legends waiting list that is like a ranking so you can see how far away you are. It gives a defined goal without knowing for sure when you'll make the cut, because of the mystery of the ranking system and the inconsistency of firings and retirements
10/11/2012 10:42 AM
I would definitely be interested, but I am not sure what the requirements are and if I would qualify. I have never won a NC. 
10/11/2012 11:34 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.