27 SPD, 22 BH, 1 PER Center Goes 2-3 From Deep Topic

Posted by stevejones16 on 11/8/2012 10:59:00 PM (view original):
Some data from real life: At least in the NBA, shooters shoot a materially lower %age on 3s off the dribble compared to spot ups. This is according to Synergy Sports, which tracks play by play data across the league for every player in every game.
this really shouldn't be a surprise - players that have the handle generally drive and penetrate more - higher % shots closer in plus the potential to be fouled. If you can shoot and dribble maybe that makes you a better shooter, but since you can dribble maybe that means you go inside more often...
11/9/2012 3:06 AM
Yeah, I don't think anyone is arguing that taking a spot up 3 isn't a higher percentage shot.

The question is whether, a person's 3-pt ability staying constant, being a better ball handler means he's overall a more effective 3-pt shooter (including the added volume from being able to create his own shot). 

I think whoever said spd is irrelevant is just wrong.  Even for a catch-and-shoot guy, the faster you get open the more open you will be.  Maybe that would be more accurately reflected in a "quickness" rating, but spd is all we have.
11/9/2012 10:49 AM (edited)
Posted by isack24 on 11/9/2012 10:49:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, I don't think anyone is arguing that taking a spot up 3 isn't a higher percentage shot.

The question is whether, a person's 3-pt ability staying constant, being a better ball handler means he's overall a more effective 3-pt shooter (including the added volume from being able to create his own shot). 

I think whoever said spd is irrelevant is just wrong.  Even for a catch-and-shoot guy, the faster you get open the more open you will be.  Maybe that would be more accurately reflected in a "quickness" rating, but spd is all we have.
Speed is important without question.  Another attribute that isn't represented that makes a big difference with a perimeter guy is movement without the ball. 

A good perimeter shooter is a combination of many attributes.  Maybe WIS doesn't name them all perfectly, but it makes sense that the guy that is high in a few of the offensive  categories is a better percentage shooter.  I have no problem with the guy that is 50 speed, 50 ball handling not being as consistent as the 75/75 guy.  But, that doesn't mean that the other guy won't go on an incredible run from game to game, which does happen in WIS.

11/9/2012 12:16 PM
Posted by sol_phenom3 on 10/7/2012 2:40:00 PM (view original):
This guy went 2-3 from deep in this game.  I won, handily, but how does this happen...?  This guy is 4 of 17 from three on the season, which is pretty bad, but considering his ratings, I'd say that's far beyond what anyone would be expecting of him. 

This is probably pretty widespread and maybe it's the norm in HD, but it's just kind of frustrating to me, when this game does so many things right, that a guy like Cotton going 2 of 3 from deep can make a victory and even an 18-game win streak that convoluted. 

Also, this guy went 1-1 from deep.

sh*t happens

in HD:
your guy made 2 of 3 in one game
he was 4 of 17 on the season. . . 

in real life:
Manute Bol hit 6 of 12 3's in one game
He was 4 of 22 for the entire rest of the season
the season before he was 0 of 9
the season before that 1 of 14

so ya, sh*t happens. .  .

and I'd just like to say Manute Bol is a legend
  • a humanitarian
  • he's the only NBA player to kill a lion with a spear
  • and there's documented evidence that he coined the phrase "my bad"
try and name somebody cooler than this guy

11/10/2012 2:18 AM
◂ Prev 123
27 SPD, 22 BH, 1 PER Center Goes 2-3 From Deep Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.