3 players poached by the same team on last cycle Topic

I am not very happy right now. I have Palm Beach Atlantic and had 5 recruits picked out for 4 spots, going into the 8 PM signing cycle. All had been considering me and never considering any other player, except one had considered a SIM. I come back to see the players I signed, and come to discover that Midget218 at Florida Institute of Technology has jumped on three of the four players. Highly unethical. I can see poaching one, maybe two if he wanted to be a jerk, but 3!!!
10/8/2012 10:25 PM (edited)
1. I wouldn't necessarily call it unethical, there's no such thing as dibs
2. I do agree that it's a dick move
3. If none of your recruits had been considering anyone else, you should have some cash in reserve. He's C- D-2, you're A+ D-3, that's fairly even. Go ahead and give him a battle, no reason you shouldn't keep at least one of those guys
10/8/2012 10:31 PM
I am planning on doing just that. I have a ton of cash, and a lot more experience, unless it's an alias for him. He has only one season under his belt. I just think it's really not very kind. I don't remember ever poaching, unless you would count coming on a recruit the first day poaching. We'll see what happens at 11 PM. I have a plan in place,
10/8/2012 10:35 PM
 You are coming off a National Championship so the other guy has figured out you know talent. I would not like it either but then again apparently I never recruit well enough anyone wants mine. It would be interesting to hear the other coaches response since this is now gone public.
10/9/2012 7:31 AM (edited)
I would agree that chapel recruits well but I find it odd a D2 coach would go after all 3 recruits from a D3 coach. I am all about going after players that can help your team, but I can't imagine the only 3 players that can help your team are being recruiting by chapel. 
10/9/2012 8:05 AM
yeah really, definitely a dick move. to do this in d1 is highly questionable, to do this as a d2 school to a d3 school, thats just ridiculous
10/9/2012 8:36 AM
This happened to me once, many moons ago when I was at OK State in Phelan. The coach at (I think) Arkansas jumped on 3 of my recruits the last day (I think I had 5 openings). I know exactly what he was thinking. He wasn't expecting to get all three. It was a strategic move on his part, hoping to force me to spread out resources among the 3 players, so I'd have to pick and choose which one(s) I really wanted.
10/9/2012 8:39 AM
He said he was on them since the first cycle but was only able to recruit sporadically. I find that somewhat unbelievable though since I had to pull all 3 down, and my thinking is he was on them they would have been considering him, since he is a D2 school and they were D2 recruits. I lost 2 of them, but am battling for the 3rd one. I ended up getting a couple of decent to good replacements for the ones I lost. Makes me want to move up to the Sunshine League so I can return the favor. If it happens again next year I may just do that.
10/9/2012 8:42 AM
Posted by professor17 on 10/9/2012 8:39:00 AM (view original):
This happened to me once, many moons ago when I was at OK State in Phelan. The coach at (I think) Arkansas jumped on 3 of my recruits the last day (I think I had 5 openings). I know exactly what he was thinking. He wasn't expecting to get all three. It was a strategic move on his part, hoping to force me to spread out resources among the 3 players, so I'd have to pick and choose which one(s) I really wanted.
I can see that at D1 although it's still kind of a jerky thing to do. But I would personally feel bad at D2 doing that to a D3 school, since the cash is not easy to come by at D3 to find other recruits.  It also seemed like he poured a lot of money into all 3, although I have no way of knowing. I was behind on all 3 at 8 PM, and at that point made a decision to pick the one I wanted most, and find cheap, decent replacements for the other two, so I would not end up with 3 walkons if I failed. I already had one other player considering me that I had recruited early on before I found a better guy, so I just had to spend $100 to offer him the scholarship. The other guy was also pretty cheap, so I have been able to sink all of my resources into the one I want. Fortunately I had a lot of cash stored up since I didn't spend much before signing, and the conference sent a lot of teams to the NT, plus I think I had a decent carry-over for a D3 school.
10/9/2012 8:53 AM

At DII and DIII it seems to me there are usually plenty of recruits to go around, even talented ones. You can often find similar players to replace ones you lose or are tied up by other human coaches.

That being said, it's POSSIBLE the guy is telling the truth about being on players from the start, even if they didn't show they were considering him. I've been interested in players and put some cash into them (not pull downs) and they won't be considering me. If life gets in the way and I don't recruit at all for a day or so, then my DII recruits are considered by someone at DIII but I want them, I'm going to fight for them the same as he was doing.

I honestly think pull downs are too easy in HD anyway. If the player is a legitimate DII talent, he should want to go to just about any DII school before ever considering a DIII team. Yet all the time there are battles between divisions like this one, which shouldn't even be much of a battle (no offense chapel).

Sure, maybe a few guys could be the exception and would rather be "big fish in a small poind", but the rule should be a player would rather ride the pine at a higher level than drop down.

Either that, or WIS needs to reevaluate what it considers to be each level and assign players more accordingly - meaning, instead of pulling people down, the vast majority of recruits would only stay within their divisions, and drop downs would be an every now and then thing if they couldn't get any attention at all at their level.

10/9/2012 10:14 AM
He should be flogged...
10/9/2012 10:16 AM
Posted by bistiza on 10/9/2012 10:14:00 AM (view original):

At DII and DIII it seems to me there are usually plenty of recruits to go around, even talented ones. You can often find similar players to replace ones you lose or are tied up by other human coaches.

That being said, it's POSSIBLE the guy is telling the truth about being on players from the start, even if they didn't show they were considering him. I've been interested in players and put some cash into them (not pull downs) and they won't be considering me. If life gets in the way and I don't recruit at all for a day or so, then my DII recruits are considered by someone at DIII but I want them, I'm going to fight for them the same as he was doing.

I honestly think pull downs are too easy in HD anyway. If the player is a legitimate DII talent, he should want to go to just about any DII school before ever considering a DIII team. Yet all the time there are battles between divisions like this one, which shouldn't even be much of a battle (no offense chapel).

Sure, maybe a few guys could be the exception and would rather be "big fish in a small poind", but the rule should be a player would rather ride the pine at a higher level than drop down.

Either that, or WIS needs to reevaluate what it considers to be each level and assign players more accordingly - meaning, instead of pulling people down, the vast majority of recruits would only stay within their divisions, and drop downs would be an every now and then thing if they couldn't get any attention at all at their level.

I agree for the most part, except in this case our Palm Beach Atlantic team has made the final 4 in 9 of the last 11 years and won 4 national Championships including one last year. The Florida Tech team is coming off of a 0-27 season, so I'm thinking that our team would be more desirable in real life.
10/9/2012 10:18 AM
Sounds like some other "issues" going on there.  Did the dude used to be in your conference?  Did you used to beat him down by 45 points a game?  Why else would a D2 school want to go get all of another D3 school's players? 
10/9/2012 10:29 AM
Yeah - I wondered that at first. But he is only in his second year, unless it is an alias. The first year was season 15, which was before I even started playing. Plus, I don't have any enemies in HD that I know of. I try to treat everyone with respect, so I don't know why anyone would be out to get me, unless it's a D3 coach with an alias that is trying to knock me down a few notches. :)
10/9/2012 10:47 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 10/9/2012 10:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 10/9/2012 10:14:00 AM (view original):

I agree for the most part, except in this case our Palm Beach Atlantic team has made the final 4 in 9 of the last 11 years and won 4 national Championships including one last year. The Florida Tech team is coming off of a 0-27 season, so I'm thinking that our team would be more desirable in real life.

Isn't that kind of the point?

Everyone is upset about the D2/D3 thing, but it's pretty clear you recruit better players at D3 than most people do at D2.  So you're recruiting D2-caliber players.  I think it's probably a dick move and would be ******, but I'm not sure why it's "unethical" or even wrong.  Just more stupid than anything else.

10/9/2012 10:51 AM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
3 players poached by the same team on last cycle Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.