3 players poached by the same team on last cycle Topic

In D1, this is fine.  Everything is fair in D1.  I actually did this as coach of Florida to my arch-rival Florida State, who had poached me in prior years when he looked overextended.

As a D2 coach, I would NEVER do this to a D3 school.  Just mean. 

10/9/2012 4:30 PM
Yeah, but you would never be a ****** D2 coach who goes 0-27.
10/9/2012 4:43 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/9/2012 12:15:00 PM (view original):
You called it unethical in your opening post.  I think that's highly questionable.  If it only happens one time, I wouldn't think twice about it.  Yeah, it sucks.  But if he legitimately looked at the recruiting pool and decided those were the best guys for his program, it makes sense for him to take them if he thinks he can.  If you look at it from his perspective, would you really want to take what you perceived as lesser recruits just because the guys you want all happen to be considering the same school a division below yours?  I wouldn't.  In fact, I have taken 3 recruits from the same school (both D3, but I took advantage of having a few more openings to outspend and take the guys I wanted) in 1 recruiting period in the past.  I would only worry about it if it becomes a problem.  Where I would perceive an issue is if this guy isn't actually FSSing or doing his own scouting, he's taking advantage of you to do his scouting for him and saving the FSS money to win battles for players you're essentially telling him are good.  I don't even think that's against the rules, per se, but I would consider it unethical.  I'm sure seble would have something to say about D2 teams using high-level D3 programs as a farm system/scouting network.  But again, if he scouted the guys and just thought they were the best players he could get, I see nothing wrong with it at all.  I'm really surprised nobody else has said that yet.  We all know recruiting isn't over 'till it's over.

I agree with this. I would never do it, in fact I rarely start battles at all; and I would certainly be irritated to no end if it had happened to me; but it's not unethical or unfair, it's just annoying.

Yes, it's a dick move by him, but everyone is saying he should be going after better players and he probably should be. But an 0-27 D2 program does not have as good of a team as a perennial power D3 program so in theory he IS going after better players than he currently has.

Perennial power D3 teams could probably make most D2 NT's, so it's a great way for an 0-27 coach to start to improve his team with solid players. In future classes maybe this particular coach will start going up a level himself, but even when doing that, sometimes you have to "settle" for D2 recruits and occasionally have to fend off a D3 guy to get them.

But the bottom line is that the D3 coach was the one going up to the D2 guy's level. These were pulldowns by chapel, not actual D3 recruits, let's remember that.

Again - not a strategy I employ or even endorse, but it's not illegal - it's just annoying for the guy who gets dinged, and I feel for ya Chapel, I'd feel the same way as you.

10/9/2012 11:27 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by chapelhillne on 10/8/2012 10:25:00 PM (view original):
I am not very happy right now. I have Palm Beach Atlantic and had 5 recruits picked out for 4 spots, going into the 8 PM signing cycle. All had been considering me and never considering any other player, except one had considered a SIM. I come back to see the players I signed, and come to discover that Midget218 at Florida Institute of Technology has jumped on three of the four players. Highly unethical. I can see poaching one, maybe two if he wanted to be a jerk, but 3!!!
Unethical?  You do not own a recruit until you sign him.  Don't be a jerk? Be a better recruiter and don't over recurit.
10/10/2012 12:05 AM
Posted by fredpaull on 10/10/2012 12:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 10/8/2012 10:25:00 PM (view original):
I am not very happy right now. I have Palm Beach Atlantic and had 5 recruits picked out for 4 spots, going into the 8 PM signing cycle. All had been considering me and never considering any other player, except one had considered a SIM. I come back to see the players I signed, and come to discover that Midget218 at Florida Institute of Technology has jumped on three of the four players. Highly unethical. I can see poaching one, maybe two if he wanted to be a jerk, but 3!!!
Unethical?  You do not own a recruit until you sign him.  Don't be a jerk? Be a better recruiter and don't over recurit.
 He's back!
10/10/2012 12:11 AM
Whoop whoop!!!1
10/10/2012 12:39 AM
Being told to "be a better recruiter" by fredpaull (aka the Destroyer of Programs) is about the most hilarious thing I've read on these forums in quite some time.
10/10/2012 12:41 AM
So Midget = fredpaul?
10/10/2012 1:00 AM
Is Fred Paul a troll name or is he serious?

Edit:  Holy crap, look at that Queens team!  NC the year before he got there and then you can see the bottom drop out each successive year he's been there.  I'm not sure I've seen someone recruit for the FCP worse than he did with that team.  Thanks for the morning laugh, Fred!
10/10/2012 5:23 AM (edited)
Where's fred at i need to become a better recruiter. Check out my bad Beloit squad. I need some recruiting tips. 
10/10/2012 8:15 AM
I can see this from both sides.

On one hand, it's certainly annoying to have a guy from a division above swoop in on recruits you thought would probably be yours.

On the other, it's not only legal, but as some have pointed out, could have been at least a decent (if not good) strategy for him given his situation. You may think it's not right, but it is what it is.

I wouldn't do it nor would I want it done to me, but that's a decision each has to make for themselves I guess.
10/10/2012 8:46 AM
I fall on the same side as nearly all of you thus far. However, I do disagree that it's right if the division 2 team didn't FSS the states the players are in. I think it is against the spirit of the rules to swoop in on a dominant D3's interested recruits, the theory being if he is interested in these players, they must be good so I don't have to spend the money to scout them. Not against the rules, but should be addressed if it becomes a growing problem. Just my two cents.

Oh, and Fredpaull, thanks for the laugh for the morning...
10/10/2012 9:50 AM
There are two questions here.  Is it unethical?  No.  Is it one of the biggest dick move I've seen in my eight years of playing HD?  Absolutely. 
10/10/2012 9:58 AM
Posted by flashlantern on 10/10/2012 9:50:00 AM (view original):
I fall on the same side as nearly all of you thus far. However, I do disagree that it's right if the division 2 team didn't FSS the states the players are in. I think it is against the spirit of the rules to swoop in on a dominant D3's interested recruits, the theory being if he is interested in these players, they must be good so I don't have to spend the money to scout them. Not against the rules, but should be addressed if it becomes a growing problem. Just my two cents.

Oh, and Fredpaull, thanks for the laugh for the morning...
I dont think you can make or should make a rule requiring that someone use FSS in order to recruit. I ASSUME that You ASSUME he didnt use FSS. Shrugs I really dont know and dont know how far away these recruits were from his school. Now if the intent was to damage the Div 3 team then it was petty to say the least.
When I recruit I realize that in a sense I am poaching when I look for players from a higher Div. Some maybe cast offs there, others are not. Personally, and call me wrong, but I think it is rather hypocritial to complain about "poaching" the recruits you are "poaching".
10/10/2012 10:49 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
3 players poached by the same team on last cycle Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.