The New Cold War Topic

The Cold War used to be between the United States and the Soviet Union.

Now it's between the Democratic and Republican parties.

Paranoia and fear of the evil intentions of the other side.

Mostly, it's the Democrats that are fostering this ideology among their constituents.  A handful of my friends are liberal Democrats that are buying into it.  People who I consider to be otherwise very intelligent, well-adjusted and "normal".  But when it comes to politics and the current Presidential campaign, they have drank the Kool-Aid and are propagating the paranoia and rhetoric of fear that has become the de-facto Democratic platform.

The Republicans are mostly just pointing out the failures of the current administration.  But they're also feeding into it as well, just to a lesser extent.

Politics in America, particularly the two party system, is irrevokably broken.
10/9/2012 1:50 PM
They said the same thing in 1796.
10/9/2012 1:54 PM
I have a hard time believing that Republicans are just the reasonable, level headed critics you describe.

Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc. etc. aren't exactly "just pointing out the failures of the current administration" and not "propagating the paranoia and rhetoric fear."
10/9/2012 1:57 PM
BRING BACK THE WHIGS

THE TEABAGGERS WERE THE DEATH KNELL OF REPUGLIKANS
10/9/2012 2:10 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/9/2012 1:57:00 PM (view original):
I have a hard time believing that Republicans are just the reasonable, level headed critics you describe.

Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc. etc. aren't exactly "just pointing out the failures of the current administration" and not "propagating the paranoia and rhetoric fear."
There's always going to be extreme kooks in the media.

Do you think the average American actually takes Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. seriously?

I've never watched or listened to Beck or Hannity.  I listened to Rush maybe one time in the past five years, and I tuned in mostly for comic relief.

I myself am registered as an unaffiliated voter.  I've never been registered as a member of either party because, as I mentioned above, I think the two-party system in America is broken.  I consider myself to be a moderate conservative in my own personal beliefs, but in some particular topics I can be somewhat to the left.

I also try to stay away from reading, watching, listening to any biased coverage of politics from either side because, frankly, it all ****** me off.  I try to understand the issues at hand, blow through the rhetoric, and come to my own conclusions based on my own personal beliefs of what makes the most sense to me.

It just seems to me that, in the current state of America, it's the Democrats who are currently more guilty of trying to create and foster a state of paranoia and fear.  It acts as a good distraction from four years of failure.

10/9/2012 2:12 PM
Posted by antoncresten on 10/9/2012 2:11:00 PM (view original):
BRING BACK THE WHIGS

THE TEABAGGERS WERE THE DEATH KNELL OF REPUGLIKANS
If you look at the "mission statement" of the Tea Party, they say a lot of things that make a lot of sense.

The problems is that their mission statement on paper and their mission statement in practice is two different things.  And I do agree that they have become the biggest problem with the Republican Party today.  They've dragged it way too far to the right.
10/9/2012 2:16 PM
So you like the Republican party under George W. Bush and Mitt Romney and not the Republican party under Eisenhower and Reagan (1st term)?
10/9/2012 2:19 PM
W's one mistake was Iraq.  Iraq was inexcusable.  It was the right thing to do (get rid of Saddam Hussein), but at the wrong time (taking the focus away from Afghanistan and the hunt for Bin Laden) and for the wrong reasons (non-existant WMD's).  I think GWB's war against Iraq was mostly to finish the job his daddy was not allowed to complete a decade or so earlier.

I can't speak to Eisenhower because he was before my time.  I was in my 20's and completely uninterested in all things political during Reagan's term.
10/9/2012 2:36 PM
If one believes the two party system is broken, it's unlikely that he "likes" any administration very much.

I agree that it's broken but that's a largely because you have to pick a side.   I don't want to pay everyone's way via more taxes but I don't care if they pay for their own abortions.    Those two things leave me at odds with both parties.    Could a candidate get elected on the pro-choice/less entitlements platform?   Nope.
10/9/2012 2:49 PM
There is a pattern of fear mongering from the mainstream Democrats you see much less of on the right.

The 2000 election is a great example. There was no theft, just a close election that someone had to win.

Race is another example. Since day one of Obama there have been left wing pundits who keep implying that opposition to Obama is based on race.

Rich vs poor is another. There are mainstream Democrats stating that the rich are stealing from the American middle class.
10/9/2012 3:27 PM
This thread is for discussion.  Not cresten's pictures.
10/9/2012 3:47 PM
Did Romney ever support eliminating a private labor union? Did Ryan?

Woops you must have been making stuff up again!
10/9/2012 4:00 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by The Taint on 10/10/2012 1:34:00 AM (view original):
Posted by swamphawk22 on 10/9/2012 3:27:00 PM (view original):
There is a pattern of fear mongering from the mainstream Democrats you see much less of on the right.

The 2000 election is a great example. There was no theft, just a close election that someone had to win.

Race is another example. Since day one of Obama there have been left wing pundits who keep implying that opposition to Obama is based on race.

Rich vs poor is another. There are mainstream Democrats stating that the rich are stealing from the American middle class.
When you see people constantly posting photos of Obama as a monkey you have to wonder if there isn't a tad bit of racism.  I hear people talking politics everyday...when they don't realize anyone is listening, and if you think there isn't racism still rearing its ugly head you are a dumbass.

When the gap between rich and middle class keeps growing as fast as it does.....how can you not wonder?  The fraud perpetuated upon the American people by the banking institutions and government in the housing crisis is just one example of many. 
And where did we see this Monkey post? How long ago was it?

Just because someone makes a racist comment about someone does not mean they are biased against Obama. Calling bush stupid was somehow more ok than calling Obama the N word. They are angry and using an insulting term.

The fact remains that Americans cast a secret vote and elected a black man, story over.

Just because 2 things are happening at the same time does not prove any realationship.
10/10/2012 3:34 AM
12 Next ▸
The New Cold War Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.