A-Rod: Satan? Topic

I only eyeballed for numbers similar to season average.   

Unfair or not, it's what's remembered.    Sheffield, Gordon, Posada, Clark and Brown are long gone(and nobody liked Brown either). 
10/11/2012 11:18 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/11/2012 11:18:00 AM (view original):
I only eyeballed for numbers similar to season average.   

Unfair or not, it's what's remembered.    Sheffield, Gordon, Posada, Clark and Brown are long gone(and nobody liked Brown either). 
I guess that's the point.  It's unfair.
10/11/2012 11:20 AM
That's the question I asked.  But that's kind of just sports.   Tom Brady is King of Football.   Tom Brady completes 0 passes in his career if he's sitting on his *** 1 second after every snap. 
10/11/2012 11:23 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/11/2012 10:58:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/11/2012 10:54:00 AM (view original):
A-Rod's post-season legacy was cast in cement by his "deer in the headlights" performance in games 5 through 7 in the 2004 ALCS.

That's pretty much what I come to expect from him in every post-season game.
Jeter went 3 for 15 in those games.

You aren't playing those games if A-Rod didn't play in the ALDS.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.
You're missing the point.

The expectations on A-Rod, particularly that post-season (his first in pinstripes) was that he was going to be the guy who was going to make them dominant for the rest of his contract.  Instead, Yankee fans got the "BIGGEST POST SEASON COLLAPSE EVER!!!", which stung even more because it came at the hands of the ******* Red Sox, and the lasting memory was A-Rod swinging and missing at pitch after pitch after pitch that was low and away in the last couple games of the ALCS.

It was a team collapse, but the spotlight fell on A-Rod because he was supposed to be the difference maker.
10/11/2012 11:52 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/11/2012 11:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/11/2012 10:58:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/11/2012 10:54:00 AM (view original):
A-Rod's post-season legacy was cast in cement by his "deer in the headlights" performance in games 5 through 7 in the 2004 ALCS.

That's pretty much what I come to expect from him in every post-season game.
Jeter went 3 for 15 in those games.

You aren't playing those games if A-Rod didn't play in the ALDS.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.
You're missing the point.

The expectations on A-Rod, particularly that post-season (his first in pinstripes) was that he was going to be the guy who was going to make them dominant for the rest of his contract.  Instead, Yankee fans got the "BIGGEST POST SEASON COLLAPSE EVER!!!", which stung even more because it came at the hands of the ******* Red Sox, and the lasting memory was A-Rod swinging and missing at pitch after pitch after pitch that was low and away in the last couple games of the ALCS.

It was a team collapse, but the spotlight fell on A-Rod because he was supposed to be the difference maker.
Then Yankee fans have an incredibly selective memory.  You aren't playing the Red Sox if A-Rod isn't on that team; you're golfing.  And A-Rod was great in those first 4 games.  Up 3 games to 0, with your foot on their throats, and A-Rod homers off Lowe to give the Yankees the lead.  Your blame is in the wrong place.
10/11/2012 12:31 PM
And Jeter batted .200 in that series.
10/11/2012 12:32 PM
Where was A-Rod in games 5-7?

Were any other Yankees making $22m in 2004?
10/11/2012 12:43 PM
He went 1 for 12 with 2 walks.  Superstars have a streak like this from time to time.  He also went 7 for 19 with 2 homers in games 1-4.  But let's forget about that.

And again, you aren't playing games 5-7 without Alex Rodriguez.
10/11/2012 12:50 PM
And to your salary question? No.  But there was a guy making $18.5 mil who batted .200.
10/11/2012 12:51 PM
Yeah, I've already explained that guy.

No one cares how you got to where you got before you failed.   Just making a BL roster is an amazing feat.     Batting .118 in your only season is a considered a failure.

The wife and I met a guy who pitched in the bigs a few years ago.   Non-descript career.   The wife asked the next day "Was he good?"   I responded "Compared to everyone who's ever played baseball, he was very good.  Compared to BL pitchers, not so much." 

A-Rod is compared to great players not guys who played baseball at one time.
10/11/2012 1:48 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/11/2012 1:48:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, I've already explained that guy.

No one cares how you got to where you got before you failed.   Just making a BL roster is an amazing feat.     Batting .118 in your only season is a considered a failure.

The wife and I met a guy who pitched in the bigs a few years ago.   Non-descript career.   The wife asked the next day "Was he good?"   I responded "Compared to everyone who's ever played baseball, he was very good.  Compared to BL pitchers, not so much." 

A-Rod is compared to great players not guys who played baseball at one time.
So Derek Jeter isn't a great player? Just a guy who played baseball at one time?
10/11/2012 1:52 PM
Jeter isn't failing time after time.   And, when he does, he's earned the right. 
10/11/2012 2:01 PM
Arod is probably a top 20 player all time. He's had a better career than Jeter. If Jeter's earned the right to bat .200/.333/.200 in an ALCS, Arod has certainly earned the right not to shoulder the blame when he bats .258/.378/.516 in the same ALCS.
10/11/2012 2:05 PM
A-Rod has not been a top 20 player all-time in NY.   Yankee fans don't give a **** what he did in SEA/TEX.    I'm quite sure a Dodger fan has no idea who's earned what in NY.    Stick to WAR.  Even though you don't know how it works, you did sound smarter then.
10/11/2012 2:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/11/2012 2:12:00 PM (view original):
A-Rod has not been a top 20 player all-time in NY.   Yankee fans don't give a **** what he did in SEA/TEX.    I'm quite sure a Dodger fan has no idea who's earned what in NY.    Stick to WAR.  Even though you don't know how it works, you did sound smarter then.
Maybe you shouldn't give an opinion on this topic? Just a couple posts up you refer to Jeter as just "a guy who played baseball at one time."

10/11/2012 2:16 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.