A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 8/6/2013 12:14:00 PM (view original):
So you firmly believe that MLB has nothing more on ARod than the others?    That there are no "extenuating circumstances" with him?   That MLB was simply on a witch hunt for ARod?
I think it falls somewhere in the middle. MLB probably has more on Arod than the others. But I also think MLB (with a wink and a nod from the Yankees???) decided they were going to throw the book at Arod regardless of the evidence.

8/6/2013 12:36 PM
So you believe that MLB/Yankees said "**** this guy"?   That legal and business aspects aside, they decided to persecute ARod just because?
8/6/2013 12:43 PM
Yes. The business aspect actually created an incentive to do that.
8/6/2013 1:06 PM
From as business standpoint, what does MLB have to gain by dragging this thru the media during what should be the best time of the year for baseball?
8/6/2013 1:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/6/2013 1:11:00 PM (view original):
From as business standpoint, what does MLB have to gain by dragging this thru the media during what should be the best time of the year for baseball?
Not much. But they don't have much to lose either. The Yankees, on the other hand, can save at least $25 million in salary and, if this puts them under the luxury tax threshold, another $10-15 million in taxes.

Don't think that the Yankees don't have Bud's ear.
8/6/2013 1:53 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
So it's your belief that the Commissioner's Office is giving one team preferential treatment at the expense of the other 29?
8/6/2013 2:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/6/2013 2:00:00 PM (view original):
So it's your belief that the Commissioner's Office is giving one team preferential treatment at the expense of the other 29?
I think the commissioner is trying to impact his legacy by taking down his own personal moby dick. The side benefit is that he gets to help out the most popular and influential team in the league.

If you don't think the commissioner plays favorites, your're delusional.
8/6/2013 2:44 PM
OK, Mr. Conspiracy Theory.

Wouldn't a massive failure in this persecution negatively affect Bud's legacy as much, if not more, than anything else he's done(or not done)?
8/6/2013 2:52 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/6/2013 2:52:00 PM (view original):
OK, Mr. Conspiracy Theory.

Wouldn't a massive failure in this persecution negatively affect Bud's legacy as much, if not more, than anything else he's done(or not done)?
Is a 50 or 100 game suspension a massive failure? I don't think so. And anyway, Bud can always say, "hey, look, I tried to clean up the game. I tried to suspend Arod for life. But the union appealed. PEDs are on them, my hands are clean."

EDIT: Also, his legacy is ****** regardless of the outcome of the appeal. His legacy wasn't tainted by PEDs. It was destroyed by the 1994 strike.
8/6/2013 2:59 PM
I think, when you whisper "lifetime" and issue "211" that 50-100 is a pretty damn big failure.    Essentially the guy with mountains of evidence against him is getting the same penalty as an unknown minor leaguer. 

BTW, it was announced that the appeal wouldn't be heard until November.
8/6/2013 3:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/6/2013 3:10:00 PM (view original):
I think, when you whisper "lifetime" and issue "211" that 50-100 is a pretty damn big failure.    Essentially the guy with mountains of evidence against him is getting the same penalty as an unknown minor leaguer. 

BTW, it was announced that the appeal wouldn't be heard until November.
Bud was dumb to whisper lifetime. That's on him. It's still a win for him to catch and suspend Arod. even if it is only for 50 games.

8/6/2013 7:28 PM
He possibly overplayed his hand.   He, and his people, thought ARod might negotiate something less and avoid the appeals circus.    Of course, he didn't factor in how delusional ARod, and his people, are.  I assume MLB thought ARod would take a 200 game suspension and ARod's camp thought "That's a career-ended.  We'll take our chances in arb."   After all, I don't think anyone will be surprised, or think less of ARod, when the evidence is there for all to see.
8/7/2013 7:54 AM
I heard that the arbitration is closed. So, unless MLB continues to ignore the confidentiality clause of the JDA, we aren't going to know what the evidence is.

MLB definitely overplayed their hand. They put Arod in a position where his only logical choice was to appeal. Had they offered him 100 games, I think he would have taken it.
8/7/2013 9:50 AM
I think we know that MLB is full of leaks.    When a NFL player is suspended, do you hear about it weeks/months in advance?   You always do with MLB.   No doubt the evidence is leaked.
8/7/2013 10:09 AM
◂ Prev 1...25|26|27|28|29...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.