A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Posted by winner77 on 9/29/2014 3:34:00 PM (view original):
Ideally, he would take a buy out from the Yankees for the remaining 3 years....say 30 million of the 60+ he is owed.  That said, he won't do it because he is greedy and apparently wants to end his career batting .250 with 18 homers and 140 strikeouts per season.  Sad.
Why in the hell would he do that? What motivation would he have to take half of what he is owed? ESPECIALLY after how he was treated by MLB and the Yankees.
9/29/2014 3:49 PM
Yes, let's all shed big crocodile tears for how poor ARod was treated by the big bad bullies.
9/29/2014 3:54 PM
I'll mention this again because it seems to have been overlooked earlier.   If a doctor deems A-Rod unfit to play, he could retire and collect his full salary.   And the Yankees would have a large portion of it covered by insurance.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/will-insurance-on-a-rods-contract-save-the-yankees/
9/29/2014 3:54 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/29/2014 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Ideally, he would take a buy out from the Yankees for the remaining 3 years....say 30 million of the 60+ he is owed.  That said, he won't do it because he is greedy and apparently wants to end his career batting .250 with 18 homers and 140 strikeouts per season.  Sad.
Why in the hell would he do that? What motivation would he have to take half of what he is owed? ESPECIALLY after how he was treated by MLB and the Yankees.
He embarrassed the entire team, and the entire sport, AND himself.  Taking the buyout and bowing out gracefully would be ideal for all involved.  He is going to go out for 3 seasons and play like crap anyway.  I get why he won't because 30 million is 30 million.....I just think it would be the BEST thing to do for everyone.
9/29/2014 3:57 PM
A-Rod has the same self-awareness as badluck.   He doesn't think he embarrassed anyone.  Especially himself. 
9/29/2014 3:59 PM
But I do agree with BL.   Why would he take a buyout?   Because he's afraid he'll be booed?   I can buy some nice earplugs with 60m.   Because he wants people to like him?   That's not going to happen. 
9/29/2014 4:00 PM
Posted by winner77 on 9/29/2014 3:57:00 PM (view original):
He embarrassed the entire team, and the entire sport, AND himself.  Taking the buyout and bowing out gracefully would be ideal for all involved.  He is going to go out for 3 seasons and play like crap anyway.  I get why he won't because 30 million is 30 million.....I just think it would be the BEST thing to do for everyone.
You're missing the rather enormous point that ARod has so little self-awareness, I don't believe that he thinks he's embarrassed anybody. 

In fact, I'm guessing that he believes he's a victim of everything that's gone on around him, as BL seems to believe he is.

9/29/2014 4:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/29/2014 3:59:00 PM (view original):
A-Rod has the same self-awareness as badluck.   He doesn't think he embarrassed anyone.  Especially himself. 
And that, too.
9/29/2014 4:02 PM
FWIW, no one has ever intimated that A-Rod doesn't love baseball or that he was not a hard worker.   He may have spent the last year preparing for his glorious return.    If so, he didn't put in the work to take a settlement. 
9/29/2014 4:05 PM
Because we was suspended for PEDs? How many guys have been suspended for PEDs? How is Arod more of an embarrassment than Braun or Chris Davis or any of the other dozens of players who have been caught since testing began or the likely hundreds and maybe thousands who used before testing was in place. 

It's part of the game. 
9/29/2014 4:09 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/29/2014 3:54:00 PM (view original):
I'll mention this again because it seems to have been overlooked earlier.   If a doctor deems A-Rod unfit to play, he could retire and collect his full salary.   And the Yankees would have a large portion of it covered by insurance.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/will-insurance-on-a-rods-contract-save-the-yankees/
Because that was written in 2012, there's this:

"teams typically cannot insure the player for more than three years at a time. When the policy expires, the team can renew, but any new injuries the player suffered in that three-year window would be taken into account in the new policy."

And then this:

"let’s assume it was purchased before the start of the 2012 season and covers a three-year term"

Leading to this:

"If Rodriguez’s injury forced him to retire, the Yankees could potentially recoup 80% of his 2014 salary — or another $20 million. But the Yankees would not have insurance coverage for the 2015 to 2017 portion of A-Rod’s contract and would have to assume that loss as a sunk cost."

and then the kicker:

"The one thing an A-Rod insurance policy doesn’t give the Yankees may be the one thing they really want: luxury-tax relief. That’s because all of A-Rod’s salary from 2013 to 2017 will count toward the luxury tax in each of those seasons, even if the Yankees are reimbursed for a significant portion of that salary under the policy."
9/29/2014 4:16 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bad_luck on 9/29/2014 4:09:00 PM (view original):
Because we was suspended for PEDs? How many guys have been suspended for PEDs? How is Arod more of an embarrassment than Braun or Chris Davis or any of the other dozens of players who have been caught since testing began or the likely hundreds and maybe thousands who used before testing was in place. 

It's part of the game. 
He is a bigger embarrassment that the other players you named because (a) he's the biggest name with the biggest legacy of all active players, and (b) he actively tried to obstruct an investigation into the biggest drug scandal in MLB history.  Which is why he was slapped with the biggest drug suspension in MLB history.

I just don't get how you can downplay these facts as if they're irrelevant.
9/29/2014 5:57 PM

It amazes me that anyone is still arguing that A-Rod didn't have a different situation.   He was hit with the longest drug suspension in MLB history WITHOUT a failed drug test.   Yet he dropped his appeal.   Why is that?

9/29/2014 6:01 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/7/2014 5:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/21/2013 11:46:00 AM (view original):
Retweeted Mike Greenberg (@Espngreeny):

ARod's fit yesterday means only one thing: He will never have to testify under oath about PEDs. That's what this was. Nothing more or less.
Greeny called it.
this.
9/29/2014 6:09 PM
◂ Prev 1...42|43|44|45|46...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.