A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 10/11/2012 8:56:00 PM (view original):
No, it's just a stupid thing to say. 

Everybody loved, or tolerated, A-Rod until he started to fail.   They say you have to earn your pinstripes.   He didn't. 
2 MVPs. The Yankees might miss the playoffs one of those years if it weren't for him.

And if Jeter said "A-Rod is one of the best players of all-time. I don't understand all the hate" there would be a lot less noise. But Jeter refuses to. It's a fair point.
10/11/2012 9:12 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/11/2012 6:08:00 PM (view original):
Is it possible Jeter has a lot to do with this? Let's face it...Jeter is a god in NY. First of all, if fans perceived ARod as a threat to Jeter when he arrived in NY (and he clearly would have been the better SS), fans are not going to react too kindly to him. As well, Jeter has always given the impression he doesn't like ARod. He's never come out and said anything derogatory, but you could tell, especially early on, that Jeter was trying to flex his muscles and let ARod know it was his clubhouse and his city.

I remember a play in '04 or '05 where someone popped a ball up to 3B. ARod didn't even have to move, he was camped right under it. All of a sudden, Jeter starts drifting all the way over from SS, calls it at the last minute, bumps into ARod and the ball drops. Ball hit ARod's glove so he gets the error, crowd boos, Jeter gives ARod a blatant nasty-*** look on the field.

I do find it incredibly ironic that ARod is seen as the self-serving one when everything Jeter does comes off as self-serving. Jeter is a phenomenal baseball player, but I will never see him as a selfless, "team" guy.

This last statement is unfair. He isn't selfless, no. My guess is that he cares a ton about his legacy. Lately his hits are up and his walks are down - I think he's chasing as many hits as he can get. I think he wants people to consider him the best Yankee of all-time. But baseball is a sport where selfishness helps your team. Jeters drive to be great only makes the Yankees better. And being selfish doesn't mean he doesn't root for other teammates to succeed. If you want to argue A-rod? Maybe that's one exception at one point when A-Rod first got here. But you have to think he wants championships, and a good A-Rod only helps.
10/11/2012 9:17 PM
All that is fair(except the point of Jeter being self-serving and selfish).   He probably could have hugged it out with A-Rod and made an easier path for him.   However, A-Rod carried a rep with him upon his arrival and, quite honestly, aligning with him could sully your rep(and this was BEFORE his steroid admission).  
A-Rod is a grown man and should be able to handle himself.   At one point, they were buds.   Only they know why that ceased to be. 

As for self-serving and selfish, no one gives themselves up at the plate like Jeter to move a runner.   Sure some of that is selfish(LOOK AT JETER!!!  HE'S SUCH A TEAM PLAYER!!!) but he could hit more homers, get more extra base hits and drive in more runs by pulling the ball.   He doesn't do that.   As for less walks, that could just be a by-product of not missing.  His power is down.   Could just be a different approach, put the bat on the ball rather than attempt to drive it, or it could be he's seeing more strikes with Ichiro(who puts the bat on the ball a lot also) and Cano coming up after him.  Pitchers could actually prefer to pitch to Jeter now.
10/12/2012 8:20 AM
If Jeter could get more extra base hits and home runs but chooses not to, he's not selfish or unselfish. He's a f*cking idiot.
10/12/2012 10:11 AM
I think Jeter realized he had a knack for going the other way and getting bloop singles, and decided to try and do that most of the time.  He obviously has (had?) the ability to turn on a ball and hit it hard, but at Yankee Stadium that doesn't always work for you.  He does care about his legacy, and realized he could get a ton of hits this way.  So that's what he does.  I obviously have no idea what he thinks, but that's what my guess is.  Is it selfish? Yea.  But hits helps your team, don't they?

As for A-Rod, Chavez should start tonight over him.
10/12/2012 10:17 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/12/2012 10:11:00 AM (view original):
If Jeter could get more extra base hits and home runs but chooses not to, he's not selfish or unselfish. He's a f*cking idiot.
Just a thought - if Jeter thinks he has a 35% chance of getting a single into right field, and a 15% chance of hitting a double in left-center, what should he try and do?
10/12/2012 10:18 AM
Yeah, as I suspected, you don't understand baseball.

Perhaps it's time for you to let those who do talk the game.
10/12/2012 10:52 AM
If the Yanks start benching those who aren't hitting, they need to make some roster moves.    A-Rod is just catching the brunt of it.
10/12/2012 10:53 AM
A-Rod is struggling badly right now.  He's old, might be hurt, and can't catch up with any fastball at the belt.  If Girardi doesn't trust him late, he shouldn't trust him early either.  And if his psyche is going to be bruised, it already is being pinch-hit for in back to back games.
10/12/2012 10:59 AM
I'm not sure Granderson, Swisher and Cano have a combined batting average of .150 so far.    Granderson looks as lost as A-Rod.  Swisher hasn't hit a ball hard(in fair territory) yet.   They just don't have enough bench players to bench 'em all.
10/12/2012 11:09 AM
Swisher's hit a few balls hard last night.  One went to the warning track in right, one was a liner right at the left fielder.  I know he always smiles, but you saw him smiling after those two, as if thinking "What do I have to do?" Granderson looks like a mess too, but there's no good replacement for him.  Chavez is one for A-Rod.
10/12/2012 11:14 AM
Casey McGehee still hanging on there?
10/12/2012 11:14 AM
Posted by kermit on 10/12/2012 11:14:00 AM (view original):
Casey McGehee still hanging on there?
Ew.
10/12/2012 11:15 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/12/2012 10:18:00 AM (view original):
Just a thought - if Jeter thinks he has a 35% chance of getting a single into right field, and a 15% chance of hitting a double in left-center, what should he try and do?
I was being sarcastic. My point is that we should give credit to Jeter for doing what he does (which, by the way, he should get a ton of credit for). But we shouldn't give him extra credit based on some outdated, soda shop hero worship bullsh*t about him being an unselfish team player who could "totally hit more homers if he wanted to, but he's just too unselfish to do that to the team."
10/12/2012 11:43 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.