Seriously Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 10/17/2012 11:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/17/2012 11:11:00 AM (view original):
Isn't that what I said?    Is it worth the risk to go from 195k to 208k?   I don't think so.   You have to hire/manage another person.   Increase expenses and hope he produces 80k and not 60k.    All to make what amounts to a poverty level increase?
Even if he only produces 60k you don't lose money because the tax rates are marginal. You only pay the higher rate on the first dollar earned over X.
The objective of a business shouldn't be "Don't lose money."   There is risk involved in hiring and producing more.    Taxing at a higher rate doesn't reduce the risk once you move into the next tax bracket.
10/17/2012 11:18 AM
Isn't that what I said?    Is it worth the risk to go from 195k to 208k?   I don't think so.   You have to hire/manage another person.   Increase expenses and hope he produces 80k and not 60k.    All to make what amounts to a poverty level increase?
Of course it's worth the risk.  You don't think every smart businessman would jump at the prospect of netting an additional 13K?  And poverty level increase?  You don't think an extra 1K per month is relevant to that owner?  You don't think his wife would love to have some additional shopping money?  Or more money for the kids education?  Not to mention the increase in market share that the company gains.  
10/17/2012 11:22 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/17/2012 11:18:00 AM (view original):
Even if he only produces 60k you don't lose money because the tax rates are marginal. You only pay the higher rate on the first dollar earned over X.
The objective of a business shouldn't be "Don't lose money."   There is risk involved in hiring and producing more.    Taxing at a higher rate doesn't reduce the risk once you move into the next tax bracket.
There is risk in being in business.  Nobody goes into business saying "I don't want to take any risks".

That being said, I think you're getting caught up in tax brackets and missing the point on marginal tax rates.

Would you have felt it was less risky in my example if the tax rate was only 25% and you netted 15K instead of 13K?
10/17/2012 11:27 AM
Posted by jvford on 10/17/2012 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Of course it's worth the risk.  You don't think every smart businessman would jump at the prospect of netting an additional 13K?  And poverty level increase?  You don't think an extra 1K per month is relevant to that owner?  You don't think his wife would love to have some additional shopping money?  Or more money for the kids education?  Not to mention the increase in market share that the company gains.  
Having been there, done that, no, I don't think every smart businessman would jump at making an additional $250 a week based on the risk exposure.   But that's neither here nor there.   Maybe I'm not a smart businessman(despite managing to stay alive during two recessions).     Nonetheless, it's silly to think everyone thinks the same way.   I once had a business partner.  She'd have jumped at an extra $250 a week(she bailed in the 2002 mini-recession). 

Don't assume everyone values $250 the same.   With more profit comes more headache.   Sometimes it's not worth it.
10/17/2012 11:36 AM
Posted by jvford on 10/17/2012 11:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/17/2012 11:18:00 AM (view original):
There is risk in being in business.  Nobody goes into business saying "I don't want to take any risks".

That being said, I think you're getting caught up in tax brackets and missing the point on marginal tax rates.

Would you have felt it was less risky in my example if the tax rate was only 25% and you netted 15K instead of 13K?
Based on a 195k starting point?  No.   But there is a point when the risk is worthy if you're willing to put in the extra work.
10/17/2012 11:38 AM
So you (and other businessmen that are risk adverse) don't really enter into this.  You're not interested in taking on risk to grow your business, so you're most likely not hiring people no matter the tax rate.

Kinda goes back to the original point that tax rates don't affect hiring.
10/17/2012 11:42 AM
I don't consider it "risk adverse".   Hiring people is nice.  Keeping them employed is better.   Don't know if you've ever had to let someone go.  It's not fun.   I'd rather not take someone away from a potential career for a 4-6 month job with me so I can make another $250 a week.    Perhaps I lack to ruthlessness to have go from small business to big business.    And, of course, I don't care to put myself out there for an additional 13k so the goverment can tax me at a higher rate.   Maybe if I had more faith in my government to spend wisely and allow me to sustain a certain level of revenue, I'd be more willing to a bigger risk to grow my business.
10/17/2012 11:58 AM
But, again, businesses run on the bottom line.   Anything that affects bottom line is a factor.  To pretend it isn't is to just prefer not to live in reality.
10/17/2012 11:59 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/17/2012 11:58:00 AM (view original):
I don't consider it "risk adverse".   Hiring people is nice.  Keeping them employed is better.   Don't know if you've ever had to let someone go.  It's not fun.   I'd rather not take someone away from a potential career for a 4-6 month job with me so I can make another $250 a week.    Perhaps I lack to ruthlessness to have go from small business to big business.    And, of course, I don't care to put myself out there for an additional 13k so the goverment can tax me at a higher rate.   Maybe if I had more faith in my government to spend wisely and allow me to sustain a certain level of revenue, I'd be more willing to a bigger risk to grow my business.
If you won't hire someone in order to net an additional $13k, then there probably isn't a magic tax rate that will make you comfortable hiring that person. Even if your tax rate is zero, you're still only looking at an increase of $384 a week.

But, if demand for your product was robust and hiring that employee would increase your gross revenue by $500,000, I'm sure you'd do it, even if the increase to your personal income was taxed at 39% instead of 35%.
10/17/2012 12:06 PM

But, to be fair, I doubt I'm doing any hiring under either candidate regardless of tax rate.   The economy isn't going to go back to 2006 in the next 4 years regardless of who's running the show. 

10/17/2012 12:08 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/17/2012 11:59:00 AM (view original):
But, again, businesses run on the bottom line.   Anything that affects bottom line is a factor.  To pretend it isn't is to just prefer not to live in reality.
In the scenario of increasing demand for your product, tax rates are irrelevant to hiring.
10/17/2012 12:09 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/17/2012 12:06:00 PM (view original):
If you won't hire someone in order to net an additional $13k, then there probably isn't a magic tax rate that will make you comfortable hiring that person. Even if your tax rate is zero, you're still only looking at an increase of $384 a week.

But, if demand for your product was robust and hiring that employee would increase your gross revenue by $500,000, I'm sure you'd do it, even if the increase to your personal income was taxed at 39% instead of 35%.
It all depends on what is required and how it affects the bottom line.   I'm not Microsoft.  I can count nickels.   And, according to Obama, 98% of small businesses are in the same boat as me. 
10/17/2012 12:09 PM
Posted by jvford on 10/17/2012 12:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/17/2012 11:59:00 AM (view original):
In the scenario of increasing demand for your product, tax rates are irrelevant to hiring.
Incorrect.   Not sure how many times I can say it.

And I'll repeat that it's retarded and ignorant to assume every small business owner thinks the same way.  So quit implying that they do.  Thanks in advance.
10/17/2012 12:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/17/2012 12:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/17/2012 12:06:00 PM (view original):

It all depends on what is required and how it affects the bottom line.   I'm not Microsoft.  I can count nickels.   And, according to Obama, 98% of small businesses are in the same boat as me. 
Except that most of those businesses do whatever they can to grow, increase market share, and increase marginal profit despite risk.  Especially when there's an increased demand for their product.

10/17/2012 12:13 PM
And I'll repeat that it's retarded and ignorant to assume every small business owner thinks the same way.  So quit implying that they do.  Thanks in advance.
10/17/2012 12:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
Seriously Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.