recruiting sham..no way this would happen Topic

Unbelievable, I have 18k invested and an accepted freshman start, playing time and yet I am losing this guy to D!AA teams http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/RecruitProfile/Ratings.aspx?rid=10064372&section=Ratings

Simply put this would not happen at all in the real world.. And yes, i am aware this isnt real, just saying this is really rediculous..
10/13/2012 8:38 AM
Distance advantage?
10/13/2012 8:59 AM
hes at NAVY so its fairly local.
10/13/2012 10:31 AM
I would find it really inconcievable that distance, prestige ect, would have such a profound inpact on this recruit. Bottom line is a D1A school offers you a scholarship, spends a significant amount of money to recruit you, you go to the D1A school over the D1AA school all day, 10 out of 10 times. PERIOD. Every CV I offer, this guy accepts and yet he is red to me..and losing to a D1AA teams stings terribly.
10/13/2012 10:34 AM
It's 100% a numbers game. It takes into account prestige, recruiting effort (not money spent), etc, and spits out a number. Highest number wins. This isn't real life.

How for away is the recruit from you?
10/13/2012 11:59 AM
it's your 1st season at Navy -- the coaches at W&M and Hampton have very successful programs and have been there for a long time -- prestige wins this time.

you'll have more $'s next season with a bowl game or 2 under your conferences belt.

you're 333 miles away (thanks yatzr's tool) and W&M is 250 and Hampton is 264
10/13/2012 12:39 PM
my question is when did you start recruiting him. 18K isn't that much for a DI recruit so if you started recruiting him late it's not going to make a huge impact without your own prestige being higher.
10/13/2012 12:52 PM
My humble observation - two 1AA schools to battle over a good 1AA OL - they could be at 40K-50K in by now. even a 1A at 18K would not be in the running - the fact that the recruit is taking CV from you means you are not out, another 1AA wouldn't even get a visit. They both probably also have FR start + PT.
10/13/2012 1:01 PM
@glaity- I disagree with a few things here. This isn't a prestige issue....this is a $$$ issue...but I will get to that in a second. Your last line is misleading as far as recruiting goes. There is pretty much no difference between 181 miles and 360 miles when it comes to a "battle" at any level. I don't have exact numbers in front of me, but I know it's a minimum of $800 for a CV at 0 miles, and it's $1044 at 360 miles. I believe it's around 1k for 181 miles. So for every CV between 181-360, he loses likely a maximum of $44 per CV.

Since our OP says he's 18kish in, he likely has 17 CV's or so in with his scouts, starts, etc. So far he's given ground of about $748 if that's the case.

$748 is not why he's losing this battle.

He's losing the battle because this guy is a monster for D1aa and should have been picked up already by a D1a school. He has good Ath, perfect Str, very good block, awesome GI, and slightly average Tech. If he got overlooked a bit, I can easily see these two being 50k+ into him and maybe even have 75% of their rolls into this guy.

10/13/2012 2:25 PM
Princess Bride: "Inconceivable" !   
10/13/2012 2:57 PM
Here is another one.. against a simmy I have spent over 15k. I have a HUGE distant advantage and yes I am aware that doesnt matter with a simmy.. I am just saying it for the sakes of saying..
http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/RecruitProfile/History.aspx?rid=10064086&section=Ratings

I knocked off the other 3 simmy's been on this recruit since go on recruiting yet I am losing.. INSANE
10/13/2012 6:21 PM
again, that's not a ton for DI, even with it being a sim.
i understand the frustration but it's not like you're 24K into him with starts and PT promised.
10/13/2012 6:29 PM
Been seeing a lot of people lately at D1 that have no idea how recruiting works.
10/13/2012 7:02 PM
Agree with cochran this time.  And a lot of us who think they know have been getting burned on some recruits as well. 
10/13/2012 7:49 PM
a lot of it has to do with either not being used to the certain level or issues with not understanding that X amount of $$$ doesn't guarantee a recruiting win.
coaches are so used to vision that once it's not present anymore they go a little nuts.

besides Husker. did you learn nothing from when we battled over the QB recruit in Rockne?
he was right in your backyard for A&M and i was recruiting him from Georgia, i spent less money on him than you did, i didn't promise any starts nor PT and i ended up red shirting him.

and no i'm not trying to brag by bringing up the QB. simply illustrating a point. money spent isn't always the tell all in recruiting.

10/13/2012 8:23 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸
recruiting sham..no way this would happen Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.