Help for beginners 2014 Topic

Some of the 'Big Hitters' who do good for me in the $50m sim. Cassels D32 2.4m and CARSON $4.4m on his wing. Bullard $4m with Cassels, or Gilmour D 48 but he is $$ 3.6m I had Bull with Kisio D 19 $1.5m and they lit it up. Great checker is Duggan 95 and only $610g or so. I will draft Helman as his spare. Duggan might go down for 4 g.

WARREN YOUNG is still a D 7 skater on SIM Roids.. He goes good with the Uber cheap Janney and a High D winger like Langlois, Larochelle, Duggan, or Helman.. Be sure the shots are low for Young's other two linemates.. and a good line 4 for me is John Maclean.. about $900g with Boutette ( $500g one or basic 165 m with lotsa points and PIMS... and spare Malone $256g is awesome. If you have heavier cash left: Lecavalier is great at $1.3m or close.. and another sleeper for me is Lukowich at $1.7m. He and lecav' often kill it. Cheap is good

Other wingers I like are Tkachuck at 600g or so, Nolan at $2.8m, and Luc Robitaille at $2.4m goes well with the $ 3 million Janney, or Cassels.

Again, good luck
2/27/2019 1:04 AM
Posted by highstyx5 on 9/16/2014 11:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 9/1/2014 1:54:00 PM (view original):
Here are some open league tips, based on the salary structure and sim engine as of September 2014.
These are only suggestions, you can build a successful OL team without following all of these suggestions.

Drafting

Draft 2 forwards that meet the following criteria:
games played % >= 75
shooting % >= 20
defensive rating <= 40
shots per game <= 4
goals per game >= 0.25
points per game >= 0.50

Draft 1 forward that meets the following criteria:
games played % >= 75
defensive rating >= 70
Salary <= $3.5M

These 3 players should be forward line 1.  Repeat this for forward lines 2 and 3.  With regards to forward line 4, you can either repeat this criteria again or draft 3 minimum salary players (2 offensive forwards and 1 defensive forward).

Draft 5 defensemen who meet the following criteria:
games played % >= 75
defensive rating >= 70
Salary <= $5M

Draft 2 minimum salary defensemen and 1 minimum salary forward.

Draft 3 goalies who meet the following criteria:
games played % <= 30
save % >= 90

Roster Management

You will get 3 minor league forwards, 2 defensemen, 1 goalie.  The forwards can be used if one of your forwards gets injured or suspended.  Use the 2 minor league defensemen and 2 minimum salary defensemen to platoon the 6th defensemen slot.  Use the goalie to run a 4 goalie platoon during the regular season.

In-Game Strategy

During even strength, set your forward lines to conservative and your defensemen lines to rarely shoot.
Been away from this for a while.
My top line is Cassels 62 assists. 3.5 mill 52 + 41 Vaive with LW Helman.79
.D = rubber stamp 93's Daneyko and 19 assists Foote D 79 pr 3 both PP.

Sound workable? 50 mill league. didn't draft anyone HUGE like Mario or 99.

Weakest attendance is Bouchard 66/80 all others 85% pgp +

ROFL this is me 5 years ago

D men need to be 90 or more on the average

Different strategy and parameters now that the cap is 70m
6/11/2020 12:07 AM (edited)
Take a lot of Gretzky and Lemieux and youre gonna be good :)
10/31/2019 7:29 AM
Posted by the_jsa on 11/4/2012 7:59:00 AM (view original):
Thank you for this info!  I rarely play the 50mil cap, so it is quite valuable for me, even though I am not technically a beginner anymore.

Questions:
1)  What kind of assist production do you want from your defencemen?

2) With the min. salary defencemen, do you look for max def rating, or more of an assist maker like
Faubert or Carlyle?

3) has the engine moved away from Crozier in net?  He was appearing on a lot of cup winning rosters for a while
Just draft Byfuglien at about $4.3m. He is rated 90 with tons of points.. He should be around $6.6 to $7 m. a glich. Justin Faulk is another glich player. $2.5m D rated 80 and he has the numbers of a guy who is $6 mill. Then at $5m, you can take Doughty. D 94, 7 plus 39 assists.. should be priced like Savard, but he isn't. The $70m Cap makes it easier to draft a good Defence, and you can still go with Smitty D 93.

The $386,000 Crozier is hot and cold. Wendyl Young at 165g still amazes me. I usually go with a 90% tender and an 88% bckup around $800g, and Young. Starters? 90.1% Fuhr is good enough for me.. 3.2 mill or close. I see guys using the $5 million 92.7% would be phenoms, but they dud out almost all the time and the $2 million tender steals the show. I got to a final with Jim Henry at $1.4m, and another with McAuley at a mill.

Goalies = Total crapshoot

All that said, I haven't won a cup since the Pilgrims landed, but good luck to whoever tries this
11/18/2019 7:01 AM
Bump
4/23/2020 9:52 AM
Hi- Hockey sim question, and I figured this might be the best place to ask it.

I'm still trying to figure out the Shooting % vs. shots taken balance. While S% seems to be a big driver of offense, there does seem to be limits: if you have a guy who shoots 25% but only takes 20 shoots over 81 games played, he's not necessarily going to net you a lot of goals because he doesn't shoot that often.

Has anyone figured out how many shots taken is too low for a high % to help you?

Here's a hypothetical to illustrate the question:
Player A and Player B (both forwards) play the same number of games.
Player A shot 200 times, scored 20 goals, with a S% of 10%
Player B shot 100 times, scored 15 goals, with a S% of 15%
Which player is going to help your offense out more? The less shooting higher % Player B, or the more shooting lower % player A?
Compared to player A, how many shots less can a player with a higher S% take and still be more valuable than Player A?

Hope that question makes sense.
Note that I mostly play no-cap progressive leagues, so $ isn't a factor in this question for me.

Thanks everyone!
5/22/2020 10:42 AM
steev, I don't know the answer but rest assured you are certainly asking the magic question to unlock the mystery box!

5/22/2020 11:12 AM
i think most of us have success with a line made up of a center with less than 2.5 spg, 50 or more assists and high def number. a winger with very low shots taken but a high def# and his shooting% doesn't really matter. lastly a winger with 3+ shots taken per game and a shooting% over 19. this IS NOT a rule though. a lot depends on the type of league your in. and unfortunately your going to have times when it just doesn't seem like anything is working. its a tough game. if you want to try and learn from the best, youd have to follow "chuckinrip". he is absolutely the most successful player right now. check out his teams, ask him questions, we all defer to chuck.
5/22/2020 4:14 PM
can you draft real players for a minor league and keep them going froward in a progressive ?

also why is there not alot of progressives here ? and why WIS does not have an option for like a 30 or 32 team league or even a smaller version say 16 for the earlier years. ,

6/4/2020 10:18 AM
Posted by the_jsa on 11/4/2012 7:59:00 AM (view original):
Thank you for this info!  I rarely play the 50mil cap, so it is quite valuable for me, even though I am not technically a beginner anymore.

Questions:
1)  What kind of assist production do you want from your defencemen?

2) With the min. salary defencemen, do you look for max def rating, or more of an assist maker like
Faubert or Carlyle?

3) has the engine moved away from Crozier in net?  He was appearing on a lot of cup winning rosters for a while
I recently won a cup with Crozier 91% in a league that was about 100m . You still need a back six like (yawning) Harris, Arbour, Smith all 93 and in a 70m sim I go with Faulk D 80 and Lashoff.. or if I have a ton of cash, might to the 90 Byfuglien.. 4.2m he is leading one of my t4eams in assists after one playoff round.. and even in a 70m league, he rocks. Goalies? Crapshoot. I am cheap.. sort of .. will take a $1.4 m 88% Fuhr, then someone for maybe $1.9m at 89.2% who went 60/80, then cheap Eddie Mio.. 86% he sometimes kills it.

I try 4 million dollar phenoms who are 91% in the 70 leagues and get ousted. 89.3% and win a cup. Go figure

Only offence I need from D is with guys like Faulk and he is priced at $2.5m and this is a glich as he should go for $6m Same with Byfuglien. the other gift is Doughty
d 94 at 5 mill. No need for wasting money of guys like Orr or Coffey in a 70m sim.. even a 100m sim. (IMO) Faulk seldom disappoints and Dustin is good in any league..

In a 100m sim, JSA my rates on the back end might be 96 x2 (Hajt - Harvey) Then Doughty 94 with Dustin B. pair 3 Alex Smith 93and 95 Daneyko. You can also spend another 350g and take frig. 96d and he is just one game under 85% usually will play all 82 games. Maybe miss 2

Lots of guys will draft a huge scoring back ender like Robinson for almost 10m and then be disappointed when he shows with few points and a big fat minus beside his name. One mega D I like is Manson rated 98.. but he is still 7 million. Karlsson 96 with 21 goals is a much better buy. he is also about 2 million under market. It is like buying Microsoft for $ 145 when it is trading at $198.. 2 months later.

This is an old thread cuz the cap open is now $70,.

I recently had V Prospal rated D 62 with Danny Grant 50 goals and they killed it. 70m sim. Prospal about 5.3 mill and Grant $4.8m. The 45 goals Robitaille will work just as good with him.. and he is about $4.5m. Seldom disappoints.. but try to have a high AVERAGE d rate with your forwards.. Finnigan 95, Hart 94 and langlois will up the average, but the scorers and feeders should be higher than most.. even if you give up a bit of O. One great Combo for me was recently the 60 goals Maruk.. 6 million and had him with the most expensive Bucyk.. and someone like cheap Larochelle. Don is 9.7 mill though.. so (this was a 90m league) still had to give up in other places.

Hope that helps and if nobody ever reads this thread.. o well. I need the keyboard skill practice
6/11/2020 12:37 AM (edited)
Posted by tycobb33 on 6/4/2020 10:18:00 AM (view original):
can you draft real players for a minor league and keep them going froward in a progressive ?

also why is there not alot of progressives here ? and why WIS does not have an option for like a 30 or 32 team league or even a smaller version say 16 for the earlier years. ,

a 32 team league would never fill.
6/11/2020 12:04 AM
Posted by steev on 5/22/2020 10:42:00 AM (view original):

I'm still trying to figure out the Shooting % vs. shots taken balance. While S% seems to be a big driver of offense, there does seem to be limits: if you have a guy who shoots 25% but only takes 20 shoots over 81 games played, he's not necessarily going to net you a lot of goals because he doesn't shoot that often.

Has anyone figured out how many shots taken is too low for a high % to help you?

Which player is going to help your offense out more? The less shooting higher % Player B, or the more shooting lower % player A?
Compared to player A, how many shots less can a player with a higher S% take and still be more valuable than Player A?

Note that I mostly play no-cap progressive leagues, so $ isn't a factor in this question for me.

Thanks everyone!
You will overpay for shot% over 25.. Here is a typical line 2 for a $70m sim league.. open. Numbers plucked from my memory but are close. Remember you can play a C on the W and he still plays just as good. I could be wrong, but I think an assisting W at C might give up a bit of his numbers, but not bad, In the 70m sim I will take Hextall at 165g and he is about 11 plus 57 and takes about 160 shots.. and a few extra pims, BUT if say Messier or Owen Nolan are susp for 2 or inj, he is a great fill. Swiss army knife . My other spare is always either Helman 79 or larochelle 72

Ok, now the line:

Center is Maruk 60 + 76 . He has good shot % about 2, and a D 36. Takes about 270 shots. THIS is your money bags C. Put him with Ciccarelli 50 goals and D 55.. and Timgren 75 on LW that line will score. Line is about 13 mill

Another combo that usually gets it done 70m sim:

Goulet D 61 with about 51 g and equal assists. close to 7 m.. and he goes good with Henrik Sedin.. Hank is not a shot hog.. his 22 plus 60 season works good he is about a 70D. 5 mill and change.. Langlois on RW so your line is about 12.5m Go cheaper with the D 50 rated Messier $5m and he does good too. You might have him susp for 2 or in though.

With Henrik Hank takes about 150 shots.. Langlois just checks.. and Goulet takes about 240 and shot% is like 21 so they will smoke it

Then you need to spend the remaining $57-8 mill wisely. Rick Martin only a D maybe 25 but he is about 44 plus 41 with I think 18% and for some reason, he kills it with Gilmour D 48.. Martin is $3.1m minus a nickel. That's $7m with Duggan on RW line 3 Duggan needs a backup and therefore Helman.

Put that in the shaker with a decent D and other forwards who will check and score some.. eg: Daoust 900g with Poddubny $2.4m.. and a cheap checker.. Sometimes Goyette at $3.5m goes good too with a shooter who is cheap and a great one for that is Lukowich 34 goals and only $1,7 mill.. on a 4 line he will make you smile.. Cheap Kisio or Daoust will do good there too. You spend lots on 2 lines and then make 2 more that will get you 'there' without breaking any records.
6/11/2020 12:36 AM
Belated thank you to damag, lucko, and aldershot on your feedback!
6/18/2020 6:33 PM
Posted by steev on 5/22/2020 10:42:00 AM (view original):

Thanks everyone!
I have only played a few Progressive leagues.. Players do perform different in those leagues.

I would opt for a winger with say 45 goals like Rick Martin D (I think) about 25 and he is abut like 17% or so.l and I would always take him over someone with 12% and ever 55 g. same D rate.. He does good if put with a C who doesn't hog the shots. Gilmour D 48 works good. That's about 6/8m for the pair of them. Add larochelle 72d for D rate and you got a good line. $70, sim
6/22/2020 2:59 AM
Also good is Prospal at about $5/5, (I am sketchy with the details here) He was 22 plus 59 and with a nice D 62, and almost 20% shots so low shots taken good assists and he lit up 45 goals Robitaille, Danny Gare 50g, Rick Martin at 45g about $3.1m, and he does good in a sim up to about $100m, but in that league, you might do better with a winger who is 20+% with like 45-55 and a D over 55.. Dino works good.. and I am putting him with the 44 goals D 48 Simmer, but Charlie seems (for me) to be a bit of a dud
6/22/2020 3:02 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Help for beginners 2014 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.