Real-time FA bidding Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
So, once the agent tells me yay/nay, how long before I can bid again?    If you say "immediately", just delete this thread because you should know why that won't work. 
10/16/2012 3:12 PM
There a website called ebay.com you should check out.  You can bid again immediately, if you want.

I'm looking forward to you explaining to all of us why it doesn't work.
10/16/2012 4:58 PM
You said it yourself in your first post . . . it's not how MLB bidding works.

eBay's bidding model is proxy bidding.  You bid the maximum amount that you're willing to pay, and a proxy will automatically bid on your behalf so that you outbid the next highest bidder by a fixed amount, up to your maximum bid amount.

For those unfamiliar with eBay and proxy bidding, here's how it would work in HBD.

You like FA SS Jimmy Numbnuts, and are willing to pay up to $8m per season for him.  His initial asking price is $4m per season.  You put in your proxy bid of $8m, which is the first bid.  You are now #1 bidder on him at $4m.  Somebody else comes in and puts in their proxy bid of $6m per season.  Your proxy bids up to $6.1m.  You're still the #1 bidder, but now the price has gone up.  A third person comes in a puts in their proxy bid of $9m per season.  His bid surpasses yours, and now he is #1 at $8.1m.

Here's why this wouldn't work in HBD.  Somebody decides that they are going to put in a proxy bid of $20m on a particular FA.  Assuming the next highest bid is $9m, then you sign him for $9.1m.  Which is quite different than the way it works today, in which if you put in a bid of $20m and you sign him, you are paying $20m.

Proxy bidding dumbs down the game, and takes the strategy out of FA bidding.  It works great for eBay, but I'm not sure how that's better and "more fair" than the way HBD works today.

10/16/2012 5:14 PM

No need to check out eBay.   The HBD playing field is already tilted in the favor of those who can check in frequently.   Allowing FA bidding as you suggest takes a lot of owners out of the game.   When worlds are struggling to fill, the last thing we need is owners jumping ship because they can't keep up because, you know, they work.

I'd say I'm surprised you don't know this but, honestly, I'm not.   Much of this forum is full of "This is good for me" suggestions with no thought on how it affects the rest of HBD.

10/16/2012 7:35 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The people have spoken. Dumb idea.
10/16/2012 9:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/16/2012 7:35:00 PM (view original):

No need to check out eBay.   The HBD playing field is already tilted in the favor of those who can check in frequently.   Allowing FA bidding as you suggest takes a lot of owners out of the game.   When worlds are struggling to fill, the last thing we need is owners jumping ship because they can't keep up because, you know, they work.

I'd say I'm surprised you don't know this but, honestly, I'm not.   Much of this forum is full of "This is good for me" suggestions with no thought on how it affects the rest of HBD.

>>Allowing FA bidding as you suggest takes a lot of owners out of the game <<

What are you talking about?

>> the last thing we need is owners jumping ship because they can't keep up because, you know, they work. <<

That's pretty much what I'm saying. Maybe you said it better. I'm not sure. In any case, you do realize you're supporting this suggestion with that, don't you?

>> Much of this forum is full of "This is good for me" suggestions <<

Mike, I don't think anybody has established themselves as more of a WIS/HBD defender and apologist than you.  It's obvious that you have nearly unlimited time for this game, 365 days a year.  You don't travel. You don't spend extend time with your family.  Or ever have any reason to be anywhere where you can't get online.  You don't have a job that ever makes demands of you.  Your life and more power to you.  I have no reason to believe you're not a super happy man.

But anybody whose reads & enjoyed your posts can see that whatever else your motivations are, you don't seem to understand that not everyone on earth lives like you.  You think everyone is, or should be, Mike.  That's just some combination of ignorance & delusion.

If more people with, you know, JOBS could fit this game into their lives and have a chance to compete, maybe there would be more players?  I don’t see how there would be fewer.

Pretty much every long-term player I've chatted with whose left gave the reason not of enough time to play so they could compete.  As you said, HBD is tilted in favor of those who can check in frequently.

So wouldn't it be in the interest of HBD to make changes that allow more people to play & compete?  Especially if those changes didn't dumb the game down.  Maybe if they even added strategy & options?

Will you really like it better when there are just a few worlds that function reasonably well left and you and your core of buddies get to play until Fox decides it's not worth paying the power bill on the server?

10/16/2012 9:35 PM
Posted by usfbully on 10/16/2012 9:26:00 PM (view original):
Well thought out response. Good counter points.  Bummer that eBay won't work or catch on. Seemed like such a good idea, too.
10/16/2012 9:37 PM
How, exactly, is me sitting here, bidding 10k more over and over again until I'm high bid better for owners who check in at 7 AM before they go to work and again at 7 PM when they come home?
10/16/2012 9:38 PM

And please be brief.  I read 3-4 lines of your nonsense.  Nothing more.  So get to the point.

10/16/2012 9:39 PM
Posted by tufft on 10/16/2012 9:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by usfbully on 10/16/2012 9:26:00 PM (view original):
Well thought out response. Good counter points.  Bummer that eBay won't work or catch on. Seemed like such a good idea, too.
McDonalds makes millions from serving **** on a bun, In N Out makes millions serving quality. There is more than one way to have a successful product. The Ebay system would be retarded in this game.
10/16/2012 9:42 PM
Posted by tufft on 10/16/2012 9:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/16/2012 5:14:00 PM (view original):
You said it yourself in your first post . . . it's not how MLB bidding works.

eBay's bidding model is proxy bidding.  You bid the maximum amount that you're willing to pay, and a proxy will automatically bid on your behalf so that you outbid the next highest bidder by a fixed amount, up to your maximum bid amount.

For those unfamiliar with eBay and proxy bidding, here's how it would work in HBD.

You like FA SS Jimmy Numbnuts, and are willing to pay up to $8m per season for him.  His initial asking price is $4m per season.  You put in your proxy bid of $8m, which is the first bid.  You are now #1 bidder on him at $4m.  Somebody else comes in and puts in their proxy bid of $6m per season.  Your proxy bids up to $6.1m.  You're still the #1 bidder, but now the price has gone up.  A third person comes in a puts in their proxy bid of $9m per season.  His bid surpasses yours, and now he is #1 at $8.1m.

Here's why this wouldn't work in HBD.  Somebody decides that they are going to put in a proxy bid of $20m on a particular FA.  Assuming the next highest bid is $9m, then you sign him for $9.1m.  Which is quite different than the way it works today, in which if you put in a bid of $20m and you sign him, you are paying $20m.

Proxy bidding dumbs down the game, and takes the strategy out of FA bidding.  It works great for eBay, but I'm not sure how that's better and "more fair" than the way HBD works today.

You have a long record here liking HBD as it is.  IMO, it's because you know the tricks and the bugs and you believe that you benefit at the expense of other players. If the game was made more fair & easier to play, with more real strategy instead of knowing the tricks, IMO it would attract & keep more players.

Only thing in your post that's true & relevant is that MLB works differently.  There are other differences between HBD & MLB, but generally I agree HBD should follow MLB when possible. But there are so many differences between how HBD  FA negotiations really work that it might make for a better game if HBD followed a model that's been proven to work very well online in the real world rather than a bad imitation of the MLB ,model

Why don't you at least take a deep breath & read what you wrote.

"Here's why this wouldn't work in HBD...".  And then you explain exactly how it could work in HBD.  Making my point exactly, only in more detail that I did.  Thanks. What point were you trying to make?

"Proxy bidding dumbs down the game, and takes the strategy out of FA bidding."  Both ridiculous statements.  The current system is a tiny bit of strategy and whole lot of being online every 4 hours to keep making bids.

Most important advantage is having endless time, as you & Mike see to pretty much 365 days a year. Just not how most of us live our lives.

Next is knowing  exactly what 1/2 cycle players & coaches start to accept offers, so you know when to bump your bids a little more to beat out the owners who don't know HBD, bugs & all, inside & out like you do.

Next is knowing how to read remaining budgets, which allows for much better bidding in many cases.  Can argue there's skill in that, but it takes knowing how to access information not available in MLB and therefore something newer owners aren't likely to think of for several seasons.

You might like to kid yourself that the current system is all about strategy.  I'm calling BS.

"You benefit at the expense of other players"

I play in three of the most competitive worlds in HBD.  I don't play in worlds full of n00bs.  There's nobody in my three worlds that I can take advantage of.  So I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion.

"The current system is a tiny bit of strategy and whole lot of being online every 4 hours to keep making bids."

You think eBay proxy bidding (make one bid, sit back and see if you win)
 is more strategic than making a fixed bid (which may or may not be way overbidding the next highest bidder)?  That seems kind of dumb.

"Next is knowing  exactly what 1/2 cycle players & coaches start to accept offers, so you know when to bump your bids a little more to beat out the owners who don't know HBD, bugs & all, inside & out like you do."

Again, I play in worlds with experienced owners.  They all know how the system works, so there's no advantage.

"Next is knowing how to read remaining budgets, which allows for much better bidding in many cases.  Can argue there's skill in that, but it takes knowing how to access information not available in MLB and therefore something newer owners aren't likely to think of for several seasons."

That's not something that I've ever done.  MikeT has proposed that we should NOT
 be able to see other team's budgets for exactly the reason you outline.  I agree that that's a good idea, to take that advantage away from those who do.

"You might like to kid yourself that the current system is all about strategy.  I'm calling BS."

You can call it anything you want.  I'll say that dumbing down the game, as proxy bidding would do, is not strategy.  It's kind of the opposite.

10/16/2012 11:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/16/2012 9:39:00 PM (view original):

And please be brief.  I read 3-4 lines of your nonsense.  Nothing more.  So get to the point.

You get so much wrong sometimes it take more than 1-2 lines to get to all of it.
10/17/2012 1:12 AM
I think I understand how the proxy bidding works. I can see how tufft would say it would work for those who have jobs, lives, etc.

But the other thing tufft asked for is real time bidding. Now, at what point would the player accept? Because I am one of "those" people who pretty much has full time access to WIS.

If, as tecwrg says, tufft puts an $X max bid on any player, and I can counter in real time, tufft is never going to get any player for less than his max bid because I will find it and force it. I could do that with every player in the league. Real time bidding would allow a guy like me to pretty much control the FA market in a league if I put enough time and effort into it.

So I see that tufft might thInk it would work for him, but I think it's something another player could use against him.
10/17/2012 1:32 AM
1|2|3...12 Next ▸
Real-time FA bidding Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.