Real-time FA bidding Topic

cshake93 --

Wow back at ya!!!  You really read all that?  Congratulations.  Or not.  Anyway...

You are correct my friend. Within the scope you've chosen.

You have done what economists are trained to do.  I expect you're getting a lot of A's.

You chose to completely ignore a portion (in this case, a really big portion) of the real word so your neat little economic theory and equations work.

Makes for excellent white papers.  And often valuable academic debates that can lead to further discoveries.

But when those theories are launched into the real world, bad things happen.

For example, what's happening to HBD today.  (MLB = Booming.  Online Gaming = Booming.  HBD << Booming.)

In the 10 previous pages I went into a lot of detail to explain the bigger FA issue and why it has to take priority over the goal of a perfect MLB simulation for HBD to increase GM retention and the overall quality of worlds.

One example of this in place is giving every team the same budget every season.  Could not be less realistic than MLB. Does anybody complain about that? (Answer: Yes. But not the point of this tread.)

Do I really need to make that bigger point again to an obviously sharp guy like you?

Or could you maybe acknowledge that you include that point in your conclusion?

You wouldn't be the first human to dig a fox hole and then chose to die in that fox hole rather than look for a better option before being overrun and shot.  Can't really argue with people who make that call.  It's their call to make. Just like it's your call to like HBD as it is and one day have it not be there because it's not economically viable. And on that day decide it was best that you were right into the end and that if HBD could not survive exactly as it was, best it died a noble death.

I do not mean to be giving you ****.  I gave others in this tread ****.  And I like to give Mike sometimes, because he's a mostly good hearted dope.  In one person he represents almost everything about why America has the big problems it has.  Have you ever seen An Idiot Abroad? Tell me that show would not be a massive hit in the US if it starred Mike?

Anyway.... If you have time to read all the crap before this, you might have time for this, too.

6/26/2015 8:03 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/26/2015 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Do you understand how RL FA works?     It's designed to get max $$ for players.    And it's actually more difficult because agents will lie and say "Well, another team is offering 10/167m to your 8/133m" when it's all bullshit.     We get a nice, straight answer.

Real-time bidding for FA was worse than the simmy team suggestion. 
Mike, Mike, MIke...

How many times do you have to make the same point so that I can make the same counter point?  Didn't we solve this?

You are correct if the most important thing in HBD is for the best pretend players to get the biggest contracts possible.

I am correct if it's more important for humans who sign up to play HBD stick with their teams and for worlds not to have teams nobody wants.

Do you debate that that new and desperate GMs frequently sign pretend contracts with pretend HBD players that gives them more pretend money for more pretend seasons than you or I would?

Yes or No?

Do you debate that the real world has shown us that those same human often drop their teams before those big contracts are up, leaving a team other humans would rather not take over, thus making worlds harder to fill and delaying the start of HBD seasons?

Yes or No?

Do you debate that eBay has been around for years and has proven that it's model for online auctions has been proven to last?

Yes or No?

Rhetorical questions.  You don't like specific question.
6/26/2015 8:15 PM
Too long.  Shorten it up and I'll read it.  Otherwise, move along.   Universally declared a bad idea three years ago.   Nothing has changed.
6/26/2015 8:27 PM
Thanks for the bump.  It was comical to see someone support such a horrible idea even after   presented with clear and obvious reasons why it won't work
6/26/2015 8:37 PM
Posted by bfkfraser on 6/26/2015 8:37:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for the bump.  It was comical to see someone support such a horrible idea even after   presented with clear and obvious reasons why it won't work
Troll on....

Please share one "clear and obvious" reason it wouldn't work.

That's a very high level you've set for yourself. Clear and obvious that there is no way, no how, no matter way, an FA bidding system that works like other proven models could not possibly work in HBD.

6/26/2015 8:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/26/2015 8:27:00 PM (view original):
Too long.  Shorten it up and I'll read it.  Otherwise, move along.   Universally declared a bad idea three years ago.   Nothing has changed.
As I wrote a few days ago -

When guys like you melt down is when guys like me know we're on to an OK idea.  You'll throw a fit, make excuses, call people names, storm out, etc., when you've got nothing else left.

Thanks.

6/26/2015 8:58 PM
Posted by tufft on 6/26/2015 8:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bfkfraser on 6/26/2015 8:37:00 PM (view original):
Troll on....

Please share one "clear and obvious" reason it wouldn't work.

That's a very high level you've set for yourself. Clear and obvious that there is no way, no how, no matter way, an FA bidding system that works like other proven models could not possibly work in HBD.

Re-read everybody's responses.   They have provided numerous reasons why your suggestion will never work.   You have mot provided one sound reason.   Just because you do not comprehend or choose to ignore them, doesn't make them less clear and obvious

1)  Real time bidding benefits those online often  
2)  Ebay removes strategy
3)  There should be consequences for overbidding.
4) Ability to game the system
5) Dumbs down the game

6/26/2015 9:05 PM
tufft, just briefly, can you tell me why, after seeing that you are the only person of 20 that believe an idea is beneficial, you refuse to see that it may, in actuality, not be?  Genuinely, I'd like to know.  This isn't a mocking post, this isn't a condescending post.  I genuinely want to know what it is about the sound logic that several others have presented is so wrong.  What am I missing?  If there is something, I would genuinely like to understand.
6/26/2015 10:15 PM
Posted by tufft on 6/26/2015 8:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/26/2015 8:27:00 PM (view original):
As I wrote a few days ago -

When guys like you melt down is when guys like me know we're on to an OK idea.  You'll throw a fit, make excuses, call people names, storm out, etc., when you've got nothing else left.

Thanks.

So, if "guys like me" disagree with your idea, it must be a good one?

What if "everyone" disagrees with your idea?    Are they just "guys like me"?    Or, maybe, it's a **** idea?

6/27/2015 7:14 AM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12
Real-time FA bidding Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.