These are the available fields

Cellular Field
Coors Field
Yankee Stadium
The Coliseum
Tropicana
Rogers Center
Nationals Park

I think you are the last one to need one spid, so just pick one for a dollar.
* * I've got Nationals Park  **
11/21/2012 12:29 AM
Wednesday, Nov 21

Matt Wieters (c)                          oli (12)
Mark Teixera (1B)                       parking (12)
Chase Utley (2B0                       oli (9)
Steve Tolleson (3B)                  no bids
Juan Uribe (3B)                         no bids
Ruben Tejada (ss)                   DD (6)
Mike Trout (OF)                          RLS (88)
Mark Trumbo (OF)                     Toddle (13)
BJ Upton (OF)                             oli (14)   
Justin Upton (OF)                       tie at 21
Ryan Vogelsong (SP)               Bruce (31)
Edinson Volquez (SP)              parking (6)
Chris Volstad (SP)                   no bids
Michael Schwimer (RP)           no bids
Evan Scribner (RP)                   no bids
Chris Seddon (RP)                   no bids
Bryan Shaw (RP)                      toddle (1)
Alfredo Simon (RP)                  toddle (1)
Tony Sipp (RP)                         parking (2)
Joe Smith (RP)                         Beer (2)
Rafael Soriano (RP)                parking (4)   
Craig Stammen (RP)              Beer (3)
Zach Stewart (RP)                   no bids
Drew Storen (RP)                     jonas (4)
Mickey Storey (RP)                   no bids
11/22/2012 1:28 AM (edited)
Justin Verlander (SP)               oli (72)

HOLY **** !!!!  nicely done, oli. 
... and here I paid $180 each for Cain, Cueto, and $160 for Darvish, lol...
11/21/2012 3:07 PM
Yes, looks like oli's strategy of husbanding his money is now paying off very well for him.

My early 59 bid for Joaquin Benoit is not looking as shrewd as it once did.
11/21/2012 3:26 PM
I'm just amazed that nobody with cash left bid higher than $72, lol...  insane, lol... Congrats, oli !
11/21/2012 5:00 PM
Posted by toddleduc on 11/21/2012 5:00:00 PM (view original):
I'm just amazed that nobody with cash left bid higher than $72, lol...  insane, lol... Congrats, oli !
What's insane is that 75% of the teams didn't have $72 to bid on Verlander in the 1st place.  It wouldn't be so insane if you guys didn't shoot your wad in the 1st few letters of the alphabet. I had the cash, but who knew where the market was?  Do you bid low or high if you really want a guy like Verlander?  My bet is oli didn't really want him. He was just trolling and caught the big fish.

You guys ran it up to $180+ for a guy who will play every 4th or 5th day. Kudos to oli for just throwing out a number. I don't think he had any strategy or major insight, but who cares. 

I've made some mistakes and paid up for average players too, but I choose not to blow my wad because a few of you decided to create a artificial pricing war for starting pitching.

Next time you do an auction draft maybe some of you guys won't rush in like fools again. You may get a Verlander for less than 50% of his fair value.

DD
11/21/2012 6:39 PM
I think oli got a deal on Verlander ,but not by much. No one player is worth more than 10% of your payroll. In the next few years I believe $72 for a top tier player will be the norm. I overpaid for some guys early too,but I wasn't willing to pay $100 or more for any player.
11/21/2012 7:22 PM
A lot of different strategies (and some no strategies) are what makes for a great auction and a great league. IMHO
11/21/2012 11:58 PM
Thursday, Nov 22

Bobby Wilson (c)                  no bids
Chad Tracy (1B)                                                    toddle (1)
Omar Visquel (2B)              no bids
Neil Walker (2B)                                                   oli (9)
Luis Valbuena (3B               no bids
Danny Valencia (3B)                                            toddle (1)
Troy Tulowitzki (SS)            tie at 21
Johnny Valdespin (OF)       no bids
Scott Van Slyke (OF)            no bids
Will Venable (OF)                                                  DD (9)
Adam Wainwright (SP)                                       oli (51) 
PJ Walters (SP)                    no bids
Jered Weaver (SP)                                             oli (72)
Kip Wells (SP)                       no bids
Huston Street (RP)                                              oli (9)
Pedro Strop (RP)                                                toddle (1)
Hisanori Takahashi (RP)                                    toddle (1)
Junichi Tazawa (RP)                                          oli (4)
Everett Teaford (RP)             no bids
Joe Thatcher (RP)                 no bids
Dale Thayer (RP)                                                 oli (3)
Matt Thornton (RP)                                             toddle (1)
Shawn Tolleson (RP)                                        DD (1)
Carlos Torres (RP)                                              toddle (1)
Anthony Swarzek (RP)                                      toddle (1)
11/23/2012 1:10 AM (edited)
Starting Pitching wins more times than not.  You need SP to be a legitamate contender.  Yeah, I guess I "shot my wad" as you say, DD on 3 pitchers- but (A) I didn't know what the market would be for SP at the time & (B) I really didn't want/intend to win all 3 of them at those prices.  Not to beat a dead horse, but I just happened to win Cueto & Darvish on the same day which drained $163 more dollars than I EVER intended to spend.  Otherwise I would have had an extra $163 to field a more well rounded team.  But I'll live with the consequences & do the best I can, maybe trade one of them for some offense/another quality bullpen arm or two.  Maybe not & we'll go (60-102) lol.  You live & learn.  This was a new concept, but I'm no spring chicken to free Agency Leagues. Not to toot my own horn, but I started & ran the Curt Flood Free Agency League for about 10 seasons a few years back and won 3 World Series over there.  In epup's original version I think I won 4 World Series in 15 seasons or so, and have made the playoffs all 3 of the first 3 seasons of this version.  So I know what I'm doing & what wins... just got caught with my pants down over-valuing starting pitching value & winning 2 high profile expensive SP on the same day.  I don't know why anyone who had the cash to spend on Verlander would NOT bid at least $100 on him, but this has been fun & interesting & I wish everyone good luck everyone with your teams !  I'm looking forward to a fun Leage experience for years to come ! 
11/22/2012 1:25 AM
No big deal, but when you call out others for not bidding up Verlander and say they were insane for not bidding more on Verlander then you have to man up and take a little criticism for creating the insane pricing for starting pitching. That's all. I believe pitching is paramount too, but a balanced team is probably best.

DD
11/22/2012 5:55 AM
I hear you, DD... I didn't mean to call you or anyone else out... that's just the way things went down I guess...  I think we can all agree that this has been an interesting experiment for all of us, lol.  Next time I'm saving my damn money until the market shakes out a bit first, lol...  I thought for sure both Trout & Verlander would be over $150 at the end, not $88 & $72 lol... My thinking from the onset was to translate the $1000 to to $100 mil or so- so that $180 would be $18 mil- pretty much the going rate that I figured would have had to be paid for a top-notch young Cain or Cueto type in their prime. 

I guess after doing so many progressive League Drafts, you get stuck on the mentality to jump on 2-3 good SP in the first couple of Rounds & bulid an offense later.  I jumped on them early with aggressive bids thinking that's what it would take to get 'em & to lock up some good long term SP.  I guess I was waaaaay off base, lol.  Definitely didn't need Darvish as a 3rd expensive SP clogging up the payroll, lol... that was COMPLETELY unintended.  Been fun- still a lot of players & bargains out there with the tied bids & no bids to go... Good Luck, Everyone !

Happy Thanksgiving - wether you're stuck working or relaxing, enjoy your weekend, everyone !

11/22/2012 9:43 AM
* Also- a big thanks to Beernoser for putting this League concept together & for ALL of the HOURS that he has put into sifting through bids, posting players, updating Rosters- it does take Hours & Hours of tireless, thankless work.  Great League & great job, man...  Cheers !
11/22/2012 9:54 AM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...19 Next ▸
Beernoser's Daily Auction Forum Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.