Beernoser's Daily Auction Game Room Topic

One of the frustrating things here is that we're all bidding against ghosts. Let's take Michael Brantley. Rejay might have been the only one to bid on Brantley, which would make the $129 bid a little hard to swallow. But we'll never know(save for the commish). Maybe there were seven other bids, all in the range of $10-$60. Or maybe one other owner bid $120 and Rejay was savvy to win by a nose with this bid. How excruciating to bid blindly, into that good night. You really have to know how a player offers value to your team to make smart bids. 

10/22/2012 8:53 AM
I'm sure many of us have participated in a fantasy auction before. The standard there is to have $260 for a 23-player team, making the average salary around $11.3. You've got to forget these numbers here or you'll be building your lineup from Mario Mendoza types. We've got a G for a 40-man roster = $25 average.  
10/22/2012 8:58 AM
All I know is in 10 years, Chris Archer is gonna be a steal at 97... maybe.
10/22/2012 9:04 AM
Posted by rls1 on 10/22/2012 8:53:00 AM (view original):
One of the frustrating things here is that we're all bidding against ghosts. Let's take Michael Brantley. Rejay might have been the only one to bid on Brantley, which would make the $129 bid a little hard to swallow. But we'll never know(save for the commish). Maybe there were seven other bids, all in the range of $10-$60. Or maybe one other owner bid $120 and Rejay was savvy to win by a nose with this bid. How excruciating to bid blindly, into that good night. You really have to know how a player offers value to your team to make smart bids. 

Totally agree.  Throwing $$$ to a black hole is disconcerning.  Maybe that's why I still have all my $$$. 

Some of these bids feel like a top in the stock market. Buyers rush in just in time to get their heads handed to them or are they buying long term value? .

I'm sure someone would have paid $129 or more for Carl Crawford if we started last year.

It's a crap shoot at best.

10/22/2012 10:28 AM (edited)
I have been asked to post the second place bid each day for each player. I can do this, but it would be an effort for me, so I'd rather not.

Right now I start each day by writing each player's name down and put my bids next to each one. Then as the bids come in, I cross out my bid and write down the team's bid that beats mine. And all through the day, I cross out each bid that gets beat out until at the end of the day I have a team and top bid next to each player.  Keeping track of the second place bid will mean I'll have two bids written for each player all day, each time crossing out the number two bid.

I'm convinced this will make my job a greater effort, and will also mean I will make more errors as I will for sure sometimes end up posting the number two bid rather than the top bid.

So, if a bunch of people want it, it can be done, but I'd rather not.

10/22/2012 10:40 AM
I like it the way you are doing it now
10/22/2012 10:46 AM
The 2nd highest bid is only for information and curiosity. Don't need it if it's alot of work.

DD
10/22/2012 10:49 AM
I concur on leaving off the 2nd bid. It'll only drive us crazy. 
10/22/2012 10:54 AM
That's the other thing I'm worried about. Do you really want to know you bid 59 and the next bid was 6?  Actually, that's been rare. For instance, Cain's bid of 183 came late in the day. Until then the winning bid was 181.
10/22/2012 11:11 AM (edited)
If every once in a while you could post an interesting tidbit like the Cain bidding, that would be nice, but don't let it become a task. this has got to be tedious as it is.
10/22/2012 11:13 AM
Here's a not so nice tidbit.

A friend of mine called and said he got an e-mail from me saying I was stranded in London and needing $ 2,500.

If you get such an e-mail, please be assured that I'm doing fine out here in Texas.

My friend is in law enforcement and said he was already working to track down where the e-mail came from.

I will check tonight with an IT friend about what if anything I need to do.
10/22/2012 3:37 PM
Home to survey the damage to my e-mail. I will be talking to some computer experts at the chess club tonight, but as of now all of my contacts and e-mails have been wiped out other than the last 18 I received which I found in trash.

As of right now I have bids from Ben, toddle, spid, rejay, bruce, Jeff, Jon, Jonas, mars, Lou and parking.  If you sent in a list and aren't mentioned above, you may want to resend it.

Looks like what a hacker did was send out a help message to my contacts, then set up an account at hotmail under the same name and redirected responses to it.  I've changed my password, notified hotmail, and the FBI. 

There are some pretty sorry people in the world.  My secretary and myself got phone calls all day asking if they could help.  Hopefully everyone is smart enough not to send money without checking first.

10/22/2012 6:20 PM
Posted by Beernoser on 10/22/2012 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Here's a not so nice tidbit.

A friend of mine called and said he got an e-mail from me saying I was stranded in London and needing $ 2,500.

If you get such an e-mail, please be assured that I'm doing fine out here in Texas.

My friend is in law enforcement and said he was already working to track down where the e-mail came from.

I will check tonight with an IT friend about what if anything I need to do.
Here it is Charlie. Sorry to hear that you were victimized.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/stranded-traveler-scam-hacks-victims-emails-asks-contacts/story?id=16774896

10/22/2012 6:57 PM
Posted by Beernoser on 10/22/2012 10:40:00 AM (view original):
I have been asked to post the second place bid each day for each player. I can do this, but it would be an effort for me, so I'd rather not.

Right now I start each day by writing each player's name down and put my bids next to each one. Then as the bids come in, I cross out my bid and write down the team's bid that beats mine. And all through the day, I cross out each bid that gets beat out until at the end of the day I have a team and top bid next to each player.  Keeping track of the second place bid will mean I'll have two bids written for each player all day, each time crossing out the number two bid.

I'm convinced this will make my job a greater effort, and will also mean I will make more errors as I will for sure sometimes end up posting the number two bid rather than the top bid.

So, if a bunch of people want it, it can be done, but I'd rather not.

We don't need it,running this draft has to be tough enough already.... 

10/22/2012 8:06 PM
Don't need more info.  Keep it the way it is.
10/22/2012 8:17 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...10 Next ▸
Beernoser's Daily Auction Game Room Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.