Let's face it... Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 10/23/2012 5:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/23/2012 5:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/23/2012 4:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/23/2012 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Isn't the Brookings Institute a liberal organization?  If so, I think we can throw that out. 

Much like Obama wanted to "make his mark" with Obamacare, Romney is running for Prez to make his mark in the economy.   I think he'll make the right decisions to get the "bottom line" sorted out.   I don't think his plan is to tax anyone more.   His plan is to tax 12m more people by putting them to work.   He's going to make some tough budget cuts, sorry Big Bird, and he intends to do away with some regulations that he believes is styming businesss growth.   Will he be the "green" President?  No.   Will he be the humanitarian President?  No.  

Although, in all fairness, that's all talk of good intentions.   Obama had good intentions.   It hasn't worked.   But, if I have a kid cutting my grass poorly for 4 years, I'm not giving him another 4 years to do it right.   Especially if he says "I only need 4 years to make this right."
Um, no. The Brookings Institute is a liberal think tank but that was a paper by the Tax Policy Center, a joint venture between Brookings and the Urban Institute that is non-partisan.

You have REALLY fallen hard for the talking points. Romney's 12 million jobs plan is absurd

EDIT: additional info on TPC:  In 2002, tax experts who had served in the Ronald ReaganGeorge H.W. Bush, and Bill Clinton administrations established the Tax Policy Center to provide unbiased analysis of tax issues. The following year TPC developed a comprehensive tax simulation model to analyze the federal income tax and proposals to change it. That model has evolved to incorporate new and additional data, changes in federal tax law, and other aspects of the tax system and the economy.

So the Brooking organization is a liberal organization?   "The Brookings Institute is a liberal think tank......"   Seriously, don't say "No" and then disagree with yourself.    A liberal organization and a non-partisan organization work together on a paper.   What way to you think it leans?

I haven't fallen for the talking points.   Romney is as vague on his jobs promise as Obama is on Libya.   

However, Obama has done nothing that makes me think he has a plan that will work.        As I said:  "Although, in all fairness, that's all talk of good intentions.   Obama had good intentions.   It hasn't worked.   But, if I have a kid cutting my grass poorly for 4 years, I'm not giving him another 4 years to do it right.   Especially if he says "I only need 4 years to make this right."
Brookings is liberal. TPC is non-partisan.

Fixing your analogy for you, your previous landscaper lit your yard on fire, jack hammered your driveway, and crashed his truck into your car. You replaced him with a new landscaper and then immediately started b!tching when the grass didn't grow back fast enough.
Well, if he says "I need four years", I think I have a right to ask "WTF?" after about 3 1/2 years if my 6.5 problem is over 8 now.   I damn sure don't say "Well, it's worse now than when you started but it's better than it was last month.  Want another 4 years?"

Anyway, that's just a variation on "It's Bush's fault!!!".    I've heard that long enough.   Do something or STFU.    Since STFU isn't an option, a denied re-election is the next best thing.

10/23/2012 5:23 PM
Yes because a 15 trillion dollar economy is as easy to control as a yard. Especially when no one has unilateral control.

I'm pretty sure Obama has advocated for several pieces of legislation designed to address the economy. That those bills got voted down in Congress is certainly not his fault.

Even if you say he hasn't done enough, we are most certainly better off now than we were four years ago.
10/23/2012 5:37 PM (edited)
I hope our President is a little smarter than the kid cutting grass.     You're hired to do a job.   You either do it right or you don't.   The job description doesn't matter.  It's either done right or it isn't.    Obama has not improved America. 

As I said, if there's a mouse in your pocket, perhaps the "we are most certainly better off now than we were four years ago" statement is correct.  But the country, as a whole, is not.   Record numbers of under/unemployed.  Record numbers receiving government assistance.   How in the hell is that better?
10/23/2012 5:33 PM
Ok, so the whole country is better off than it was 42 months ago, if you want to get picky about the timing.
10/23/2012 5:37 PM
I still stand by my original point - Romney has virtually no concrete platform aside from "I'm not Obama" and "his benchmark accomplishment was Obamacare, so I'm going to get rid of that."  Let me be clear here - I'm fairly moderate, but I'm registered Republican.  And I HATE Obamacare.  Far more than any other government action of the past 20 years, including the Patriot Act (which was horrible).  But at some point if he wants to run a successful campaign Romney has to take some real stands.  I understand that he doesn't want to be specific about what spending he'd like to cut because no matter what it is somebody isn't going to like it.  But I think the public as a whole would probably respond better to a reasonably specific plan than a hazy nothing nobody knows if they can trust a little bit or not at all.

Total aside, I really hope that if he wins Romney honestly will reduce government spending assisting startup tech companies and put it into basic research.  At the end of the day, private backing for a good startup can usually be found eventually.  If your idea is actually going to do something to make our country better or stronger or help our people, it's probably going to be profitable, and you can usually find wealthy people or corporations willing to invest in profitable ideas.  Nobody wants to fund basic research because it's too far away from the development stages.  Research costs a lot - many science labs at major research universities burn through several million dollars a year, and big facilities at national labs that facilitate groundbreaking discoveries can cost many billions per year to maintain and operate.  That money is never going to be made up from the private sector if it's cut, but the discoveries at facilities like these can help provide the background discoveries to drive the technological innovations of the future and make America and the world better.
10/23/2012 5:38 PM
Numbers without context. Yes, 7.8% unemployment is bad, but if it was 10% in 2009, then we are certainly better off now.
10/23/2012 5:39 PM

Who was President in 2009?   Lemme guess.  Bush's fault?

10/23/2012 5:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/23/2012 5:43:00 PM (view original):

Who was President in 2009?   Lemme guess.  Bush's fault?

Obama was inaugurated in 2009. Are we really going to hold him responsible for the unemployment rate just a few months after his butt hit the chair?
10/23/2012 5:47 PM
Right now:  Record numbers of under/unemployed.  Record numbers receiving government assistance.  

Are you going to blame that on Bush?
10/23/2012 5:56 PM
Um...7.8<10, jclarkT23.
10/23/2012 5:59 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/23/2012 5:56:00 PM (view original):
Right now:  Record numbers of under/unemployed.  Record numbers receiving government assistance.  

Are you going to blame that on Bush?
Unemployment is down. The stock market is up. We are gaining jobs instead of losing several hundred thousand a month. Housing starts are up. GDP is up.
10/23/2012 6:07 PM
RECORD NUMBERS OF UNDER/UNEMPLOYED AMERICANS.   RECORD NUMBERS OF AMERICANS RECEIVING GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE.   RECORD NUMBERS, RECORD NUMBERS, RECORD NUMBERS. 
10/23/2012 6:23 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Both of those numbers are correlated. That's like screaming "IT'S RAINING AND THE GROUND IS WET!!!!"

Once again, numbers without context. Maybe try getting your news from someone other than Sean Hannity. The unemployment rate is down significantly from 2009.
10/23/2012 6:26 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...11 Next ▸
Let's face it... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.