Real Opinions? Who Do You Vote For And Why? Topic

Also, if you don't think three people per day in each state will start suddenly going to the doctor for nonsense because "I have insurance", you have a lot more faith in people than I do.   Hell, three people per day will go just to have someone to talk to. 
10/31/2012 1:12 PM
?As I said, every tiny cut doesn't require medical attention.  People with insurance are far more likely to seek it because "I paid for my insurance."  People who don't have insurance are far more likely to say "It's not too bad.  Where are the band-aids?"

I don't think this is a fair assessment of the real situation at all.

I think people without insurance ARE less prone to seeking medical attention in both situations when they do need it and when they don't.

However, I also think very few people go because they think "I paid for insurance". Most people I know, myself included, go because they feel they need to go. The only reason they might not if they don't have insurance is fear of the cost, not because they feel like they don't need to go.

Personally, I would never go to seek medical attention just because I have insurance. I would treat the situation the same if I didn't have insurance, with the caveat that I might fear the cost a lot more. So the only time I'd want to go and wouldn't because of insurance was if I felt I really did need to go, meaning I would be suffering for not having insurance.

To be clear: I do NOT believe MOST people go to the doctor or other medical places for more unnecessary reasons if they have insurance.

As for your "hangover headache" example, those people who get hangovers should know better.  Most of them have probably gone through it before and will again - take some headache pills and rest.

By the way, simple tip to avoid a hangover: Drink more WATER, either in between alcoholic drinks or directly after but before you go to bed. Make sure to drink at least as much water as you ingested in alcoholic drinks volume wise. Most hangover headaches are caused by simple dehydration brought on by the combination of alcohol's diuretic effects on the body and people's unwillingness to drink enough water because they feel as though they've already drank enough and have to go to the bathroom too much. That's just an FYI since it was brought up.

Also, people paying $25 already stops most unnecessary visits. Increasing that to $125 would result in a lot less people going for LEGITIMATE reasons, but the numbers of those who are unnecessary and go at $25 but not at $125 are probably quite small.

10/31/2012 1:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/31/2012 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, my concerns are quelled if the out-of-pocket expense is $125 instead of $25.  That stops a lot of unnecessary visits right there.
Insurance companies want people to go to the doctor if the person thinks there is a problem. 

Setting the copay higher stops people from seeing the doctor when there is an actual problem. This leads to more small problems becoming big problems. Insurance rates are not going up because people have $500 medical bills. Insurance rates are going up because people have $800,000 medical bills.

I know you think your argument makes intuitive sense and I hate to pull this, but you run a trucking company, I run an insurance brokerage. You're wrong.
10/31/2012 1:27 PM

Allow one check-up visit per year on the house. 

10/31/2012 1:27 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/31/2012 1:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/31/2012 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, my concerns are quelled if the out-of-pocket expense is $125 instead of $25.  That stops a lot of unnecessary visits right there.
Insurance companies want people to go to the doctor if the person thinks there is a problem. 

Setting the copay higher stops people from seeing the doctor when there is an actual problem. This leads to more small problems becoming big problems. Insurance rates are not going up because people have $500 medical bills. Insurance rates are going up because people have $800,000 medical bills.

I know you think your argument makes intuitive sense and I hate to pull this, but you run a trucking company, I run an insurance brokerage. You're wrong.
You suck at math and know virtually nothing about human nature.  How you run anything is beyond me.   But you're not dealing with people, you're dealing with numbers on a piece of paper.   I suppose, if they match up to what you believe, you can do math.  If they don't, you're screwed.

10/31/2012 1:29 PM
Sounds great mike. Good luck.
10/31/2012 1:33 PM
I've had to deal with workman's comp and ridiculous insurance claims.   That's numbers and humans.   Again, you don't deal with the actual Joe on the street.  You have a piece of paper with numbers and, when you actually have to leave your partioned office, you're dealing with other professionals.  Not the same.
10/31/2012 1:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/31/2012 1:42:00 PM (view original):
I've had to deal with workman's comp and ridiculous insurance claims.   That's numbers and humans.   Again, you don't deal with the actual Joe on the street.  You have a piece of paper with numbers and, when you actually have to leave your partioned office, you're dealing with other professionals.  Not the same.
My company is a brokerage, I'm not an actuary. I have clients. Almost all of them are business owners.

But the numbers do back up my argument.

And work comp is an entirely different animal than health insurance.
10/31/2012 1:45 PM
Work comp is a fine example of human nature in my experience.   I'm quite sure it transfers well to health insurance as far as out-of-pocket expenses deterring claims/visits.
10/31/2012 1:50 PM
And, FWIW, business owners are professionals in the business world.  .  Not the same as a Joe on the street.
10/31/2012 1:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/31/2012 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Work comp is a fine example of human nature in my experience.   I'm quite sure it transfers well to health insurance as far as out-of-pocket expenses deterring claims/visits.
It's not the same. People file fraudulent wc claims to get out of work so they can have a paid vacation. There is no benefit to going to the doctor unnecessarily (EDIT: in a non-work injury situation).

Most of my clients are small business owners that run small contracting businesses, small job shops, offices, mechanics, etc.

Keep talking, though, this is interesting.
10/31/2012 1:58 PM (edited)
Sure it's the same in relation to out-of-pocket expense.  

People are less likely to go thru the WC process if it costs them money to get to the pot of gold.
People are less likely to go to the doctor if it costs them money to deal with the minor issues. 

Human nature.  Something you evidently know nothing about.    Just work your numbers and let people who actually deal with people talk about human nature.
10/31/2012 2:09 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/31/2012 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Sure it's the same in relation to out-of-pocket expense.  

People are less likely to go thru the WC process if it costs them money to get to the pot of gold.
People are less likely to go to the doctor if it costs them money to deal with the minor issues. 

Human nature.  Something you evidently know nothing about.    Just work your numbers and let people who actually deal with people talk about human nature.
Wow.

Filing a work comp claim usually results in paid time off work.
Going to the doctor results in...a trip to the doctor.

But please, continue to enlighten us.
10/31/2012 2:13 PM
Jeez, are you really that dumb?

Out of pocket expense.   How many times do I have to type it?

Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.Out of pocket expense.

It's a deterrent for frivilous bullshit.
10/31/2012 2:20 PM
OK. What's the benefit of going to the doctor?

EDIT: You can stop embarrassing yourself if you want now. I think everyone has seen enough.
10/31/2012 2:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...18 Next ▸
Real Opinions? Who Do You Vote For And Why? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.