UPDATE update 11/1 Topic

We are currently alpha testing the new engine with the council in a test world.  The rushing and passing logic are roughly in place and playing through games.  I am currently working on tightening up the results so they more closely resemble results you would expect from the college teams.  I expect the results will need more tweaking as we go along and probably will continue to be adjusted throughout beta.

A large part of the remaining work is re-adding penalties and turnovers to the plays, as I can't use the old penalty and turnover logic since the base play simulation code was pretty much gutted.  The good news is I hope to get penalties and turnovers to be more closely related to ratings and what's happening during a play.  I will definitely work on getting turnovers in before beta, but for the sake of getting beta rolled out sooner, I might hold off on penalties and add them in during the beta.

We are also working on getting all of the new game setting pages working so they can be tested in the alpha testing and we'll have at least one more season of alpha testing before beta can be considered.  I want all of the pages to be fully functional and complete (minus any changes that come out of beta) before we launch beta testing.

I would expect at least two more seasons of internal alpha testing before we consider beta testing.

11/1/2012 11:40 AM
Cool... Are we talking full GD seasons before the beta?
11/1/2012 11:46 AM

When you say two more seasons of internal testing before beta testing, is a season the same time frame we currently play with now or by testing do you basically speed a season up? 
I guess after thinking about what I typed, this is the same question shonuff has asked.

11/1/2012 11:57 AM
They will most likely be shortened seasons.  The next bit of updating for the engine will require a little more attention to detail of the games, so will probably be the normal pace, but at some point I should be able to run 2 or 3 games per day.  I really don't want to wait another couple months for the beta as that in itself will take some time away from launching the update, so we're trying to get the internal testing done and the update to the point where everything looks great for the beta and the engine is in a place where it's pretty close to final.
11/1/2012 12:57 PM
Will the beta be released before 1/1/2013?

Votes: 75
(Last vote received: 2/27/2013 8:12 PM)
11/1/2012 2:03 PM
thank god. I'm about to give up understanding D1A
11/1/2012 2:49 PM
Who is on the coaches council?
11/1/2012 3:24 PM
You should change the poll to 1/1/2014.
11/1/2012 3:35 PM
Posted by tcochran on 11/1/2012 3:35:00 PM (view original):
You should change the poll to 1/1/2014.
LOL
11/1/2012 3:40 PM
Posted by jibe717 on 11/1/2012 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Who is on the coaches council?
snake 
11/1/2012 3:59 PM
Thanks norbert.

Any word yet on how beta testing will work? What levels people will be eligible to try, etc? How many teams?
11/1/2012 5:22 PM
The plan right now is everybody that wants to test will be able to get at least one team.  After the initial start of the worlds, we may look at adding more worlds and more teams per user, as well as come up with some way to get users to the higher levels.  We want to test as much as we can at every level of the game.
11/1/2012 6:04 PM
Norbert, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for these updates. I and many others appreciate your work and it is good to know that things are starting to get closer.
11/1/2012 6:07 PM
Thanks for the update norbert, it is good to hear about some "concrete" testing going on
11/1/2012 6:49 PM
Posted by norbert on 11/1/2012 6:04:00 PM (view original):
The plan right now is everybody that wants to test will be able to get at least one team.  After the initial start of the worlds, we may look at adding more worlds and more teams per user, as well as come up with some way to get users to the higher levels.  We want to test as much as we can at every level of the game.
Creating this type of variability for teams is what I was concerned about. Thanks Norbert.
11/1/2012 9:53 PM
12 Next ▸
UPDATE update 11/1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.