I've now been in 100 National Tournaments (combined record of 131-100) withour a single champoinship.  I'm sure that's not the record but it seems strange to me that since I've started played I've...gotten married, adopted a dog, bought a condo, had a kid, sold the condo and bought a house in the 'burbs (yikes), had another kid, bought a minivan (double yikes), and had a third kid..but have yet to win a single championship.  Not upset at all, more just amazed that as much as my life changes 1 thing remains constant  NO CHAMPIONSHIPS!.

11/2/2012 11:46 PM
And that is truly the greatest tragedy of them all.

Excluding the minivan.
11/2/2012 11:49 PM
I feel your pain brian. I have a 72.2% career winning percentage. I've made 28 NTs (including the D2 Iba NT that we are both in that is just now starting) and I have a 41-27 record in the NT with 6 Final Fours and I haven't won it all yet. I've only been playing HD for 2 years now, but it seems like much longer. It would be nice to get the monkey off my back and win one. Maybe the WIS gods will be kind and one of us can win the D2 Iba title this season since you are a 1-seed and I'm a 4-seed. Of all the worlds I'm in, a D2 Iba title would be the most satisfying since it is such an incredibly strong D2 world.

On another note, yikes on the minivan. I refuse to buy one. When our 2nd son was born I gave my wife the Acadia (the crossover is the closest I will allow this family to get to the dreaded minivan!) and got myself an Audi A6. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to drive a powerful car!
11/3/2012 8:21 AM (edited)
I wish my wife would let me drive a car with some power. Currently I am stuck in a Buick. A BUICK, I say!! I'm 25 years old!! It is madness!
11/3/2012 10:08 AM
The minvan is for my wife.  We alternate picking cars and while I shed a few tears it works for her.  I drive an Avalon.  In many ways it's an old man's car (my Dad loves it!).  (sigh)...and when I started HD I lived in downtown Chicago and didn't even own a car.

Mduncan...I'm shocked at how well my team has done this year.  Pegged us as no better than #3 in conference behind you and Dave.  I just hope we can all do well in the NT and bring a title back to the Heartland.
11/3/2012 10:14 AM
This depressed me a little. I'm now 116-102 in the NT, with no titles, between the 3 IDs I've ever used. 6 or 7 final 4s, I think 2 title game appearances, but mostly a ton on 2nd round losses. Oh well. Somehow, it's still fun.
11/3/2012 2:41 PM
Posted by wronoj on 11/3/2012 2:41:00 PM (view original):
This depressed me a little. I'm now 116-102 in the NT, with no titles, between the 3 IDs I've ever used. 6 or 7 final 4s, I think 2 title game appearances, but mostly a ton on 2nd round losses. Oh well. Somehow, it's still fun.
there was that thread like 6 months or a year ago, surprising coaches with no titles, you were one of the names i was most surprised to see. a lot of the other guys i didnt know, i guess they just dont play the same worlds as me, but for whatever reason i just assumed you won a couple.

if you ever want someone to take a second look at one of your teams (preferably, one of the ones you feel good about), id be happy to do it. but wait at a week or something... ive been a little loose in inviting people to ask me stuff and ive got a decent number of sitemails i have yet to answer, probably at least a 10 hour backlog
11/3/2012 4:15 PM
I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I'll never win an NT here...I'll never stop trying, but I just don't think it will happen...with that said, it doesn't deter from my enjoyment of this game either.
11/3/2012 5:05 PM
its so hard to win a national tournament if you cant form some kind of power conference so you can get the best players available.
11/5/2012 1:10 AM
Posted by unlikelyhero on 11/5/2012 1:10:00 AM (view original):
its so hard to win a national tournament if you cant form some kind of power conference so you can get the best players available.
That's true in D1, but I see teams in D3 Tark from non power conferences winning titles all the time.
11/5/2012 5:35 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 11/3/2012 5:05:00 PM (view original):
I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I'll never win an NT here...I'll never stop trying, but I just don't think it will happen...with that said, it doesn't deter from my enjoyment of this game either.
+1
11/5/2012 8:21 AM
Wow, this thread got me curious. In 4 days it will be my 6 year anniversary playing HD. WOW!
11/5/2012 12:58 PM
Wow yeah I've had a lot of changes in my years on this site (it's been over ten for me) but I also realize I will almost certainly NEVER win an NT in HD. It's so far from realistic that I don't even have it as a goal now.

I've done well at the other games, but while I'm decent at HD, I'm just not that good. With some of my teams, especially in certain seasons, I just consider myself successful if I make the postseason at all.

HD is more about the fun of team building with occasional success rather than building a dynasty or pursuing the NT Championship, both of which as I said seem far outside my grasp.

11/5/2012 2:10 PM
I have 79 NT bids.  my record is 49-78.  That's pretty bad, but is it a good trade off for the 1 championship?  I'll take it
11/5/2012 4:06 PM
Posted by ll316 on 11/5/2012 5:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by unlikelyhero on 11/5/2012 1:10:00 AM (view original):
That's true in D1, but I see teams in D3 Tark from non power conferences winning titles all the time.
+1. I had a pretty good run with Drew and I was the only human coach in my conf.
11/5/2012 5:50 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.