Posted by tianyi7886 on 11/5/2012 5:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ll316 on 11/5/2012 5:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by unlikelyhero on 11/5/2012 1:10:00 AM (view original):
its so hard to win a national tournament if you cant form some kind of power conference so you can get the best players available.
That's true in D1, but I see teams in D3 Tark from non power conferences winning titles all the time.
+1. I had a pretty good run with Drew and I was the only human coach in my conf.
Likewise, I has some reasonable success with Hamline, and my conference mates all abandoned me towards the end, so I think my last NT might have been when I was by myself.
11/5/2012 5:52 PM
My goal in this game is to be fredpaull....create more ghost towns than a spaghetti western
11/5/2012 9:14 PM
its so hard to win a national tournament if you cant form some kind of power conference so you can get the best players available.
This thread really makes me appreciate what happened to me last night.  My D2 team, Abilene Christian (Smith), won my very first NT in my 14th season in HD.

It honestly shocked me.  I started the season with no expectations of anything great and went 6-4 in noncon play.  I have 1 guy who might be considered a star, overall decent ATH and DEF but not even good enough to be ranked for most of the season.

Then luck started falling my way and after I went 0-1 in the CT,  I won 6 straight including vs 5 ranked teams (2 #1s and a #3). 

I cannot explain it.  I've had better teams with better players that flopped in the 1st or 2nd round.   The best team did not win this tournament.  It was sheer, blind luck.

My point, I guess, is that you just never know.  If you recruit solid players every year and schedule tough it could happen to anybody.  Abilene Christian's not even in a power conference - Lone Star on Smith is #9 RPI this season, but generally in the 10-12 range.

I may never win another NT, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

11/6/2012 12:17 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 11/3/2012 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wronoj on 11/3/2012 2:41:00 PM (view original):
This depressed me a little. I'm now 116-102 in the NT, with no titles, between the 3 IDs I've ever used. 6 or 7 final 4s, I think 2 title game appearances, but mostly a ton on 2nd round losses. Oh well. Somehow, it's still fun.
there was that thread like 6 months or a year ago, surprising coaches with no titles, you were one of the names i was most surprised to see. a lot of the other guys i didnt know, i guess they just dont play the same worlds as me, but for whatever reason i just assumed you won a couple.

if you ever want someone to take a second look at one of your teams (preferably, one of the ones you feel good about), id be happy to do it. but wait at a week or something... ive been a little loose in inviting people to ask me stuff and ive got a decent number of sitemails i have yet to answer, probably at least a 10 hour backlog
billy,

just sent you a sitemail... would love some input if you have the time.
11/23/2012 12:52 PM
73-60 in sixty trips .. And been in the big game a few times, never managed to win it though
11/23/2012 2:00 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 11/5/2012 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tianyi7886 on 11/5/2012 5:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ll316 on 11/5/2012 5:35:00 AM (view original):
That's true in D1, but I see teams in D3 Tark from non power conferences winning titles all the time.
+1. I had a pretty good run with Drew and I was the only human coach in my conf.
Likewise, I has some reasonable success with Hamline, and my conference mates all abandoned me towards the end, so I think my last NT might have been when I was by myself.
Makes sense when you look at that world geographically. Tark D3 is kind of unusual in that the top 3 power conferences(ODAC/University/USA South) are all in the southeast, and heavily cannibalize each other for local star recruits. It may actually be an advantage, in that kind of case, to be in a lesser conference in a region of the country with less competition for elite recruiting talent.

Of course mileage may vary according to world.

11/23/2012 11:58 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.