What really eats me up... Topic

The deficit is smaller and the economy has improved since the bottom of the crash. You're cherry picking unemployment numbers.

We got both (but I'd prefer better economic growth and less deficit reduction).
11/7/2012 9:40 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/7/2012 9:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/7/2012 7:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/7/2012 5:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/7/2012 5:13:00 PM (view original):
I simply picked one insignificant funded program and explained how it won't affect the economy because they can privatize or, if that's not feasible, take their skills to the private sector.   
It's so insignificant that it won't help with the deficit.

Would you rather the president and congress focus on economic recovery or deficit reduction?

It is an either/or.
I'd settle for one or the other.

Obama's first term, we got neither.
We actually got both. The economy is improving and the deficit is smaller.
this economy is on very unstable ground... especially factoring in the uncertainty in Europe and the uncertainty around Obamacare for businesses (job creation).... I'd go as far as saying it's stagnant... hardly a recovery. banks still haven't cleaned their loan portfolios..... when they start foreclosing on squatters I expect housing prices will drop again. sure I could pick out some positives (New home construction, manufacturing jobs) but I could easily pick out some negatives too. I'm bullish the economy...... just not right now.

I'm not sure how you can argue the deficit is smaller.
11/7/2012 9:43 PM
Because it is.
11/7/2012 9:43 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/7/2012 9:43:00 PM (view original):
Because it is.
go research debt as a % of GDP... and it's impact on economic recoveries. fascinating stuff.
11/7/2012 9:52 PM
The deficit is smaller.
11/7/2012 10:00 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/7/2012 10:00:00 PM (view original):
The deficit is smaller.
fine.  don't learn something new.
11/7/2012 11:33 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 11/7/2012 3:29:00 PM (view original):
Back to my original point: Romney might have won this election if he'd just played the hell out of this video on commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1kuTG19Cu_Q
Let's just all agree that one of the many ways in which the Romney campaign was mishandled was that this video was not played.  It should have been.  Along with the video of Obama telling us about how important transparency would be in his administration.
11/8/2012 4:24 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/7/2012 10:00:00 PM (view original):
The deficit is smaller.
And, with just a little bit of spending cuts, it could be even smaller.

But that's not on the agenda.
11/8/2012 8:33 AM
GUT THE MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX, BIG OIL, AND SOAK THE RICH

PROBLEM SOLVED
11/8/2012 8:36 AM
Hell, tell Obama that "date night" is off for the next 4 years and we'll save half a billion in security.
11/8/2012 9:03 AM
K
11/8/2012 9:24 AM
HOWEVER, it's ******* ridiculous and disgraceful to say "I don't care about them."    That says a lot more about you than you probably need to tell.

I have every right to feel however I'd like about the troops or their situation (or anything else in the world, for that matter). What IS ridiculous is for anyone else to tell me I'm not allowed to feel the way I feel, as you're apparently trying to do here.

Your problem here is you want to assign attributes to me that are not at all reflected in what I've said, which you indicate by saying "that says a lot more about you than you probably need to tell".

No, it doesn't. It says nothing about me except my opinion on the topic at hand. That's all. Anything else you read into it is your own (almost assuredly misguided) assumption. Usually those who make such assumptions then jump to incorrect conclusions and set themselves up to look foolish.
Looks to me that you're learning to be brief.  Good job.

Then I guess you're really going to freak out when you read this one. Now THAT thought has me laughing again. Your comedy act never ends, does it?
If income taxes are eliminated, it won't be the government spending the money now will it?

I'd be in favor of making ALL taxes income taxes and streamlining the process so that you pay a certain percentage based upon your income (with the wealthy paying MUCH more than the middle and lower classes). This would also include the elimination of most or all deductions and other ways to artificially lower your tax rate. You pay the percentage no matter what. That would make sure everyone pays their fair share.
I'd rather deal with an extended recession now than a major security issue and potential total economic collapse 30 years in the future.

I don't want to see either, but an extended recession now would terribly harm those who are already on the brink of not being able to provide for their basic needs. We don't need more unemployment or people employed in jobs that don't pay an actual living wage. If we don't worry about now, the future won't matter.
If it were all tied up in bonds held within the country it's only a long-term economic risk, but when so much of it is owned by China and other nations that aren't particularly strong allies it is a long-term security risk.
Sure it can be a security risk, but ignoring the domestic economy in order to stop a potential risk in the future is only going to make worse problems in the US.
But that money is being used to employ people who use their paychecks to buy stuff. That's economic activity that is eliminated. Cut enough of it to actual impact the deficit and it becomes a major drag on the economy. Even Romney said so.
It sounds like someone actually gets that the economy depends upon consumer spending if it is going to recover and function properly.

Nothing will ever improve the economy unless it improves consumer spending, and most of that is done by the middle class (as the rich tend to invest their money instead and the poor don't have it to spare to begin with).

One solution very few people actually think of or say is to encourage the wealthy to spend more of their money instead of investing it. Done by enough people with enough money, this would absolutely stimulate the economy. The problem is most wealthy individuals don't want to spend money unless it stands to make them more money, which is why they invest instead.
When the economy is slow because demand has fallen (what's been going on since 2008), cutting spending weakens demand further.
This is true as long as it ultimately means cutting CONSUMER spending (and cutting spending in other places often ends in that result). I'm glad someone can see how spending is linked to economic recovery and prosperity.
this is the last time I respond to you.... as you've been promoted to 'idiotic poster'. You and swamp are in an elite club together. congratulations!
When you disagree with someone but can't find a retort against the logical points they make, it's easier to simply call them names or insult them and then ignore them. After all, if you don't respond because they're a (insert childish name here), then you can claim a victory of sorts, when in reality you didn't make any argument against them at all.

I guess there is something good to be said - at least you're bowing out of a debate you didn't have the ability to win in the first place. It's oddly noble when people realize their limitations and shoot for goals they actually can achieve. Congratulations on that.
go research debt as a % of GDP... and it's impact on economic recoveries. fascinating stuff.
The U.S. debt to GDP ratio seems alarming when taken by itself, and while it would be better if the percentage were lower (more ability to pay off debt), it is actually lower than several other countries.

The problem for the U.S. is that its debt is held in a larger percentage by foreign countries rather than domestically.
11/8/2012 9:29 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/8/2012 9:03:00 AM (view original):
Hell, tell Obama that "date night" is off for the next 4 years and we'll save half a billion in security.
Don't have to do away with it completely, just replace it with a Netflix subscription and Pizza Hut delivery.
11/8/2012 9:30 AM
Too long, bis.  You know damn good and well that I'm not reading it.

tec, doesn't the WH have a built-in theater?   Netflix is good.  He could use one of his three personal chefs to make a pizza.   They're getting paid anyway.  Put 'em to work.
11/8/2012 10:21 AM
The WH used to have a bowling alley.  Tricky Dick put it in.  What better to do on date night than bowl a few games with your sweetie, catch a flick, and chow down on some delicious pizza?

11/8/2012 10:28 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...34 Next ▸
What really eats me up... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.