Buh-Bye Bay Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by antoncresten on 11/8/2012 5:10:00 AM (view original):
ABOUT 2 YEARS TOO LATE

BAY TURNED OFF A MILLION METS FANS FER LIFE
I don't think so and Ill tell you why.

I ALWAYS was a big Bay fan.  Dreamed of the Mets getting him.  Little did I know my dream would turn into a nightmare.

Unlike most of the jerks on this site, I tell and admit the truth.  I thought when the Mets signed Bay it was the greatest signing in Met history.  Look at his stats, look at the guy.  Great hitter, great work ethic, great citizen, fine, good man.  What was there not to like about him?

Is there anyone out there that even imagined in their wildest dreams that Bay would be so bad??  I didnt, the Mets didnt, nobody did.  How can you blame the Mets for going out and spending alot of money and trying to get a good player?  You cant .

The only thing anyone can say negative is the Mets should have cut him loose sooner.  And again thats easy for us to say, its not our money going in the trash.

I applaude the Mets for finally doing it and taking the $21mil hit.  Its not their fault the guys sucks so bad.

And PS even though I said Bay makes me sick, as a person who watched almost every Met game he played in,  the poor guy never stopped hustling or trying or busting his ***.  He really is a good man.  Its a shame and will always be a mystery WTF happened to this guy.
11/9/2012 2:46 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/8/2012 12:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by miket33 on 11/7/2012 10:03:00 PM (view original):
Mets and Jason Bay "part ways"  Only bad part is Bay is taking $21mil with him.  How bad do you have to be if a team pays you $21mil not to play for them?  Only good part is that , different than an outright release,  the $21 mil will be deferred and stretched out over a number of years.  But also different is that Bay will be allowed to become a FA and steal money from another team.  Somebody will take a chance and sign him.  Bay is the second person I know from Canada that turns my stomach.
I'm also hearing that the money saved this year is fairly insignificant.  Mets paying most of $21 mil this year.
The Mets are paying ALL of the $21mil.  What makes it significant is that in the deal they worked out with Bay its deferred.  Its spread out over a long number of years which frees up alot of money now. 

Bay stands to make more money because if he was realeased and signed by another team that team would only have to pay the ML min and the Mets pay the rest of whatever he was supposed to make.  With this deal if someone signs him 1 year say $5mil, they pay $5mil not the ML min ($400K). SO (if anyone signs him) Bay makes out like a fat cat.
11/9/2012 2:52 PM
A lot of people thought the Mets overpaid to get him.  It reeked of Minaya overreacting to a present need without thinking much about the future, which he did time and time again.  When we got him, I hoped he'd average .250/25/100 over the time he was here, and I'd be satisfied.  The red flag, that not many people saw, was the strikeouts.  When you strike out that much in your 20s, and your bat speed starts to slip in your 30s, it's bad news.  I think it was a combination of that, the concussions, and just trying too hard, and pressing too much the entire time he was here.  It is sad, because he IS a hard worker, and always hustles to the point where he physically hurts himself.

And as a Mets fan, I expect him to win comeback player of the year, wherever he ends up.
11/9/2012 2:56 PM
Posted by miket33 on 11/9/2012 2:52:00 PM (view original):
Mets and Jason Bay "part ways"  Only bad part is Bay is taking $21mil with him.  How bad do you have to be if a team pays you $21mil not to play for them?  Only good part is that , different than an outright release,  the $21 mil will be deferred and stretched out over a number of years.  But also different is that Bay will be allowed to become a FA and steal money from another team.  Somebody will take a chance and sign him.  Bay is the second person I know from Canada that turns my stomach.
I'm also hearing that the money saved this year is fairly insignificant.  Mets paying most of $21 mil this year.
The Mets are paying ALL of the $21mil.  What makes it significant is that in the deal they worked out with Bay its deferred.  Its spread out over a long number of years which frees up alot of money now. 

Bay stands to make more money because if he was realeased and signed by another team that team would only have to pay the ML min and the Mets pay the rest of whatever he was supposed to make.  With this deal if someone signs him 1 year say $5mil, they pay $5mil not the ML min ($400K). SO (if anyone signs him) Bay makes out like a fat cat.
As I said, it appears very little of the money is deferred.  He's getting most of what he's owed this year.

What team is paying $5M for Jason Bay?  He's lucky if he makes a big league roster on opening day.
11/9/2012 2:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/8/2012 11:02:00 AM (view original):

So they have less fans than the Yankees?   Shocker.

The Yankees are good and the Mets suck.  Is that what you wanted to hear?  Great

Beleive it or not there were years (mid 70s and mid 80's) when it was the other way around and the Mets outdrew the Yanks.

In the history of these 2 teams the Yanks were almost ALWAYS good.  They are the best franchise in history.  And the Mets were almost ALWAYS bad.  But when the Mets are good, as rare as it is, they have alot of loyal fans and they draw.

But i think its going to be a long time before the Mets are better than the Yanks, thats for sure.
11/9/2012 2:58 PM
Posted by jiml60 on 11/8/2012 6:09:00 PM (view original):
Buyer beware...and wouldn't we all like to leave our current job and still  get our salary then find another paying job. 
Freaking sick isn't it??
11/9/2012 2:59 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/9/2012 2:56:00 PM (view original):
A lot of people thought the Mets overpaid to get him.  It reeked of Minaya overreacting to a present need without thinking much about the future, which he did time and time again.  When we got him, I hoped he'd average .250/25/100 over the time he was here, and I'd be satisfied.  The red flag, that not many people saw, was the strikeouts.  When you strike out that much in your 20s, and your bat speed starts to slip in your 30s, it's bad news.  I think it was a combination of that, the concussions, and just trying too hard, and pressing too much the entire time he was here.  It is sad, because he IS a hard worker, and always hustles to the point where he physically hurts himself.

And as a Mets fan, I expect him to win comeback player of the year, wherever he ends up.
Although I agree almost 100% of what you said I did expect to to hit better than 250/25/100.  Not alot better, but better.  And I thought they may have overpaid for him, but again, not by alot.  I didnt think overpaying alittle was a bad thing.  I was really happy they went the extra mile and made sure they got him.  So again we were all wrong.  I dont blame the Mets or ******** Omar this time.

Normally I would agree with you about Bay being Comeback player.  Typical Met luck.  But in this case HE WAS SO BAD I just dont see how he could turn it around that much.  
11/9/2012 3:06 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/9/2012 2:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by miket33 on 11/9/2012 2:52:00 PM (view original):

As I said, it appears very little of the money is deferred.  He's getting most of what he's owed this year.

What team is paying $5M for Jason Bay?  He's lucky if he makes a big league roster on opening day.
Not sure you are right about the deferred money.  Of course I dont know for sure but I heard it said that they gave him a Bobby Bonilla deal (Oh God I just threw up in my mouth!), and its deferred over a long period, like 10 years.  But this could be totally wrong.

Oh yeah I agree.  Jay will be lucky if he is playing baseball next year unless he signs for a very small contract (which he can afford to do being he is already getting a kings ransome from the Mets).  I just said $5mil as an example but nobody is giving him anything close to that. 
11/9/2012 3:12 PM
I heard a lot of it was deferred which was why the Mets were willing to do the deal.   Of course, there's probably plenty of misinformatoin out there.

As for 5m for Bay next season, that wouldn't be surprising.  Abreu, Damon, etc, etc were getting that with the hopes of catching lightening in a bottle   Bay will certainly be motivated to do well on a 1 year deal.     A team looking for a push for one season, hell the Yanks might even be interested, might see that as a good investment.
11/9/2012 3:26 PM
Everything I'm seeing/hearing says it was a small portion of the $21M.  I've obviously not hearing what you're hearing though.

I would be SHOCKED if Bay got 7 figures.  He's coming off a disgusting year.

11/9/2012 3:41 PM
He's getting the entire $21 million. The Mets just get to defer it over several years instead of all of it being due this year. No way he gets $5 million per.
11/9/2012 4:02 PM
"Bay's deal differed from an outright release in that it allowed the Mets to defer a portion of his salary, though a source said he will still receive a significant chunk of it in 2013" - mlb.com

"But a person who was directly involved in the negotiations said the 2013 money saved is not significant" - nypost.com

That took me like 90 seconds.  How hard is it to look this stuff up?  You're already on the internet.

Only a small portion was deferred.

11/9/2012 4:45 PM

Define "small" and "not signficant" when talking about 21m. 

11/9/2012 5:55 PM
BOTTOM LINE: HE GONE

DON'T HAVE TO SEE HIM IN A CORNER OUTFIELD SPOT KNOCKING IN 43

BRUCE BOISCLAIR COULD DO THAT FER 700K

METS NEED 2 OFERS, C, 2B, BULLPEN
11/9/2012 6:08 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Buh-Bye Bay Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.