Most Championships all HD worlds Topic

oh wait. i must be thinking of bing. looks like i left d3 before you started dominating, i think i did play you a few times though with howard payne, although it looks like i had the better program then. never mind. except about the part where i taught u all u knew ;)
11/16/2012 5:39 PM
ill be honest. the baby is going crazy and my wife still isnt home, so this is about all i got. so, i figured id give a list of titles or phrases for the top coaches, picking up on emy's OR - the king. i only even know who about half the guys on the list are, so maybe you guys can fill in. if i was me, but a me with less knowledge, i'd look at this list and want to know the back story behind the titles/phrases im putting in - why might you give it to them? or, it might make me remember something and smile, who the hell knows.

having 10 worlds is good but the down side is, you just dont get to know all the cool coaches out there, i think its fun to know a little history or something. so if anyone has some lines for coaches not on the list, that would be great. or, feel free to replace anything i pick, its really just random and for fun, i'd prefer people DID replace the ones i make up here because i dont do most of these guys justice. and again, its just for fun, i identified some people as "best X", for example, "best coach of the new engine". if its not you and you think it should be, sorry! i just picked people i thought had good claims, to maybe spark some interest in their history. if i saw someone labelled "best coach of the new engine", and i didnt know them, id sure want to know why someone could call them that (even if im only half right). so yeah, just for fun, but im also open to hearing if i got them wrong - i like those kind of conversations/friendly debates, in RL i like those kind of hearing about or talking about who are the best programs, even in sports where that doesn't mean i get to talk about how awesome UK is the whole time :)  - why not in HD? so, aejones, when you get ****** that i didnt call you the best coach in the new engine, feel free to call me out on it :)

OR - the king
oldave - chief ranter
kelby - most likely rantee (he deserves better, i know)
lostmyth - best d1 recruiter
clone - iowa state has fans?
uglyskunk - chief of arrogance (just ribbing)
tianyi - who is this guy and why is he so good?
aejones - best d2/d3 coach of the new engine
majresorter - the prince
coach_billyg - best team/game planner
fussyd - best zone run
tannermcc - the triple def champion
emy - the veteran's veteran
mpollon - an all-time great GLVer. oh yeah, and one of the best d2/d3 coaches ever, but that obviously comes second :)
girt/dalter - best coach of the new engine
grecianfox - class act, what else would you expect from stanford?
alblack - the guy who burns d1 coaches at the stake in the morning
bing - the best bingballer
rails - the best d2/d3 recruiter
zhawks - the guy who almost hated HD as much as vegaskevin
porkpower - champion superclasser
vandydave - dont talk the talk if you cant beat yourself for a championship!
kmason - should have stuck to poker
ryan75 - shhhh, you have enough titles already
johnsensing - a mediocre GLVer, but may be the best d1 coach of the new engine
acn - the best coach nobody talks about being the best coach
narcotico - has one of the two legendary d3 runs
plumpy - the original gangster

wifes home, im grasping at straws... so i better stop here. amazing to me how many coaches have so many titles now, its crazy. someone suggested a veterans world or something, i never realized how ridiculous the competition might be, until i saw this list (the championship list, not my stupid list here)
11/16/2012 6:44 PM
i dont pretend not to have had an agenda there... come back to the GLV john! you have proven yourself everywhere else, so why not :)
11/16/2012 6:48 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 11/16/2012 5:39:00 PM (view original):
oh wait. i must be thinking of bing. looks like i left d3 before you started dominating, i think i did play you a few times though with howard payne, although it looks like i had the better program then. never mind. except about the part where i taught u all u knew ;)
Yeah, Bing's reign of terror in Tark came to an end just as mine was beginning. We met a few times in the tourney...my memory is hazy but I think he beat me the first few times on his NC runs but I think I took the last two, iirc I had some success switching lockdown m2m defenders onto his bingball scorers and beating up his press on the boards. He left the game soon after, a shame because he was definitely a creative coach and it could have developed into a fun rivalry.

I do remember some strong teams at Howard Payne back in the day but I'm not sure we ever played each other.

11/17/2012 4:03 PM
I have a sneaky suspicion I gave away my 10th championship by leaving Drew for the GLV...
11/17/2012 4:28 PM
Posted by narcotico on 11/17/2012 4:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by coach_billyg on 11/16/2012 5:39:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, Bing's reign of terror in Tark came to an end just as mine was beginning. We met a few times in the tourney...my memory is hazy but I think he beat me the first few times on his NC runs but I think I took the last two, iirc I had some success switching lockdown m2m defenders onto his bingball scorers and beating up his press on the boards. He left the game soon after, a shame because he was definitely a creative coach and it could have developed into a fun rivalry.

I do remember some strong teams at Howard Payne back in the day but I'm not sure we ever played each other.

you sort of jogged my memory here... i feel like there were 4 really strong programs at that same time, yours, bings, mine, and one other... who beat bing at central a few times, with a strategy similar to yours. i was a pressing team so of the 3 of us, i fared the worst, i remember that. i don't know if we played specifically, but for some reason i thought i had gotten to play both you and the other guy who was fighting to take him down, at some point in the NT over the years. i coach south carolina on the ID i had at howard payne, we could play an exhibition and see if we ever met :)
11/17/2012 10:55 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 11/17/2012 4:28:00 PM (view original):
I have a sneaky suspicion I gave away my 10th championship by leaving Drew for the GLV...
how long have you been playing for? you have more total seasons than i thought, i really thought you were a fairly new coach. but with 6 teams including all 3 fast worlds, i guess you could rack em up quick. i think of you as the newest coach on the scene, if you will, but i really don't know when you started.
11/17/2012 10:56 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 11/17/2012 10:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tianyi7886 on 11/17/2012 4:28:00 PM (view original):
how long have you been playing for? you have more total seasons than i thought, i really thought you were a fairly new coach. but with 6 teams including all 3 fast worlds, i guess you could rack em up quick. i think of you as the newest coach on the scene, if you will, but i really don't know when you started.
I think a little less than 2 yrs. Championship distribution is 4 Tark, 2 Rupp, 2 Naismith, 1 Wooden. All of them were d2/d3. With half of my teams being D1 now, my championship pace will signifcantly slow down, especially after losing Drew in Tark. 

11/18/2012 4:20 AM
Congratulations to these 3 coaches who just won titles.
Dwoeflin07 who is now on the board with 5 championships in 80 seasons.
Alblack, who won #11 in 348 seasons, moving up to 9th place on the list.
lwbraun who won #12 in 152 seasons moving up to #6.

11/30/2012 8:35 AM
I now have 5 in 53 seasons (2 Naismith, 3 Knight) under this ID.
11/30/2012 9:09 AM
Oops. I missed me being added already. I also apparently miscounted seasons (I have a 6th title as itest in Wooden).
11/30/2012 9:13 AM (edited)
Posted by gillispie2 on 11/14/2012 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 11/14/2012 12:03:00 AM (view original):
Just to add, Oldresorter also has 5 titles under his Ryan75 ID.

36 titles all-time?  There's only one king!
man, that is a LOT of championships. i really dont know how he coaches all those teams together. i cant imagine running 10 teams and winning with any of them. well, i guess over enough time, you'd sort of have to win one eventually - assuming you were at least fielding NT quality teams and stuff, which I think he does, like, everywhere. but it seems like you'd never really get to focus on any of them, and somehow he keeps so many so competitive. i know personally if i stop paying attention to my teams its like, dramatically lower performance. i used to try to run 3-4 teams, but i couldnt get any of them really going, so i cut back to really focusing on just the best 1-2 each season, and it worked wonders. 10, man, i just couldnt do it.
If I remember correctly, O.R. Always insisted he spent the bulk of his time recruiting. Then he'd set them and only look in on them, *maybe* tinker around a little here and there, but basically just let them do their thing. I can say that I checked his game PBP's at W.conn St religiously for many seasons, while it was under both ID's and I could rarely find an instance where things had been changed and most of those were injury related changes. For the record, I believe him when he says he was mostly hands off. The man has/had an eye for talent and potential (before there WAS potential) that is 2nd to NONE.
12/1/2012 12:54 AM
Posted by coach_billyg on 11/12/2012 3:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by spasticity on 11/12/2012 2:20:00 PM (view original):
If you add together spasticity and killbatman, I have 10 titles in 153 HD seasons. 

I think I'm an "old guy" since I've been here since 2005, but the total seasons look like a "new guy" without playing the 2-a-day worlds or having more than a few teams at a time.  I also only play in D3 currently, so there's plenty of people I never cross paths with.

Also I've been way more successful in the new engine (i.e. potential) than the old, whatever that means.

oh damn, you are killbatman too? very impressive. i can't believe how many 10+ title coaches are cropping up. it used to be that everybody had heard of anyone who even got close to 10 titles. in this thread alone, ive found out about a few new ones and a **** ton of 5+ guys, that i had no idea won so many. its kind of a shame, IMO, that people dont talk about this stuff much. when i was a new coach, the coolest thing to me was to hear about rails and OR pulling off their great runs, it really motivated me to know the engine was deterministic enough to do such a thing, and that there were coaches THAT GOOD out there. but its not just the best runs of all time that interested me, i liked hearing about people pulling back to back titles, or a coach getting to 5 championships, its just interesting to see what people are accomplishing. i havent accomplished anything in so long, although mostly for lack of trying, but that doesnt mean i would like to hear about all you guys and the cool **** you do. i think people are afraid to mention some of these things because they dont want to gloat or come off arrogant, but i wish there was a way to get around that and still hear about it. for all the "hey look at this team i lost to, who i should have crushed, although i wrote them off ahead of time and employed a horrible strategy for the opponent" threads, i could sure use some "hey look theres a coach at kansas, i forget which world, but that crazy SOB just pulled off a record setting 7 straight final fours in d1 (which also ties the all time record)". or "Hey look at this program, this coach just won their 4th title in 15 seasons". i like to see those. its nice to know there are still people kicking *** out there. and its a hell of a lot more interesting than the "look at what happened" threads on the forums today. that is why i originally wrote the program to compute HDs longest streaks (most consecutive NT appearances, stuff like that) and the dynasty lists, so people could look and see what the top programs and accomplishments were, and then go look at those teams to see it. but man, i am just so bad at keeping them up to date...

Well, then -- we've had 5 championships in the last 16 seasons at Alabama (and 5 more Final Fours), including the top 2 RPIs of all time!
(You're right -- now I do feel like I'm gloating :) )
12/1/2012 1:43 PM
Man, I really killed this thread :)
I blame you for tricking me, billy!
12/3/2012 3:24 PM
what? 10 final fours in 16 d1 seasons, that is nuts. i have to run those damn dynasty lists, you should have something pretty high up. and bama no less! is the SEC really strong in that world and the ACC sucks, or something? seems like alabama is NOT an easy place to recruit talent like that year after year
12/4/2012 2:14 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...15 Next ▸
Most Championships all HD worlds Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.