Official Sim-Basketball Progressive League

I will float this idea out there. With so many leagues stalling and an over abundance of progressives in that fold, isn't it time for an official one?

I am proposing this.

24 owners, one initial draft.

When you draft a player initially, you are given the ability to start him at either his 1st, 2nd or 3rd season. He will thereafter progress accordingly until he retires.

There will be a hard salary cap of either 47 or 52 million, put to a league wide vote.

I will be commissioner during the first season. I will then pass it on to an owner willing to work season two.

Owners wishing to participate must have shown a great track history, any 'rookie' owners will be scrutinized, but ultimately can gain entry via vouching from senior members. We don't need people who are going to drop out after one season.

I will add additional league information, but this post should be read as a proposal amongst us all in order to maintain a fun game for everyone without stalling.

11/12/2012 4:44 PM
evil sounds good.  Let's throw around some ideas and input. 
I'm thinking about a contract league with no cap.
Every team starts with 24 years of contracts for 12 players.  For each drafted player a 3 year max contract
can be given.  After his contract is up he becomes a free agent and added to the availables for next draft.
So drafting Lebron and give him a 3 year contract his first 3 years. 
Season 4 Lebron becomes a free agent and is added to availables in his 4th year.

Can issue contracts from one to three years for each player on your roster.
This eliminates keepers lists.  I'm in a baseball league similiar to this.
It takes extra work for the commish and I'd volunteer to keep contract forum for league.

Anyway just an idea.  Would like to hear some input. 
11/12/2012 5:49 PM
As much as I hate to give up on both the UPL and my PCL, one league would make sense.  I think people discovered REALLY fast how hard a $52m cap is in a progressive (take that nay-sayers) and the ones who bailed are the ones who didn't like the challenge.

I like evil's idea of being able to start a player at his 1st, 2nd or 3rd season.  That would make some teams immediately better and people wouldn't have to wait 2-3 seasons for their team to get interesting.  If we go that route, I vote $52M (or even a little higher).

I like the contract idea... do the players progress or can you use the same year over & over?  If they progress, I dislike 3-year max, at least for the first round pick.  Maybe a 5-year for a first round pick, 3-year for any after that?

Anyway... I'm not ready to give up on those other leagues, but trust me, I feel your frustration and support this idea of one prog.

11/12/2012 9:26 PM
It could be interesting to implement something along the lines of the first three rounds are five year contracts, the next six are three year deals and the final three are one year contracts. Perhaps adding the amnesty rule as well. Just throwing out ideas.
11/12/2012 9:31 PM
it could get really complicated really quick, too.
11/12/2012 9:49 PM
Five yr. max would be good and you could add years each season.  Playoffs & champs earn extra.
With 5 yr. max elite players would be incentive to stay with league since every 4 to 5 drafts elite
players would be available.
Cap league that is already set up is cool.  Especially since I finally got a young Kareem!
11/12/2012 11:50 PM
The problem with the PCL.. more so than the UPL.. is those teams that drafted poorly early on.. when we go searching for new owners they have to take over a team at a major disadvantage. Sure there is a deep talent pool.. but lets face it there are no MJ's Wilt's Kareem's or Lebron's in that talent pool. An excellent owner might be able to make a low playoff team or even piece together a contender for a season.. but its a rough road.

Something with more player recycling would be good.
11/13/2012 10:52 AM
Here is an idea, just touching on what Seapilots wrote. So each year the team is automatically given one year to extend to any roster player, making the playoffs gives you two and winning gives you three. You can use the two or three to distribute evenly, or all on one player, the choice is ultimately the owners. Regardless if you miss the playoffs you're looking at a top pick and even if you make the playoffs each season, around the fourth season mark you're going to have to sacrifice something.

I also like the concept of this:

If you're an owner and you lose a player, he goes back in to the talent pool and drafting owners can start him at either season 1, 2 or 3. So recycling occurs, but also owners don't have to fear losing their best players. How you distribute the add-on is primarily up to each GM.

11/13/2012 11:20 AM
ha evil, I like your suggestion about being scrupulous about people who bail on leagues - but haven't you bailed on leagues yourself repeatedly? lol

But this sounds like a good idea. The cap will make it very interesting.

11/13/2012 12:34 PM
What league did I bail on?

The only league I was ever in that I couldn't continue was the UPL and it was due to credit card issues and nothing more.
11/13/2012 12:35 PM
Even though I have never played in a progressive on this site, this league could interest me.  Here are the ideas I've seen so far that I like:  ability to start a player at his 1st, 2nd or 3rd season, $52M cap, 24 years of contracts for the 12 players drafted with a max of 3 years, one add on year per season.  I think allowing 5 year contracts to the 1st (or more) round picks and multiple years of add on each season would cause some of the same issues that other progs have (the bad teams have a lot of difficulty getting better).  With regards to trades, could you veto a trade?  Would there be anti-tanking rules?  Would the league be randomly aligned each season?

11/13/2012 2:25 PM (edited)
Posted by xxevilivexx on 11/13/2012 12:35:00 PM (view original):
What league did I bail on?

The only league I was ever in that I couldn't continue was the UPL and it was due to credit card issues and nothing more.
1 season of the All-Time Regressive, when you were still omegax - drafted a team that was only good for one year, then bailed.

And you're constantly in and out of the ODL and 52 mil draft leagues.

Not a big deal though. I just thought it was funny.

11/13/2012 2:30 PM
Tarheel, please do me a huge favor and support the claims on the ODL and 52 Mil leagues. Those are not prgressives and ultimately if the leagues needed an extra person I've been more than willing to join. In regards to an old account, how many years ago was this? Is it even relevant to bring up something that happened years ago?

I'd consider myself an active member of the sim having not left the site at any point in time over the last three years or more.
11/13/2012 2:46 PM
It's not a big deal. I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place. I just thought it was funny, is all. I'm not actually worried about your trustworthiness, because it doesn't really matter. The ODL and 52 stuff is just entertaining, because you say you're out like every season but always end up back in. It's like an annual ritual, haha.
11/13/2012 3:10 PM
To be honest I was the last one in for the ODL draft, if it filled I was going to sit one out.
11/13/2012 3:16 PM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.