A 52 M cap with contracts would be the best.  But that league would have to be filled with dedicated owners who know 
what they're doing.   Even in Ash's Cap some owners went over.
It would seem relatively easy to get it right just by selecting theme league w/ 52M cap.
A 3 year max on contracts would cycle the talent quickly.  Perhaps two seperate drafts could be used.
1).  1 round Free Agent Draft with a slightly weighted random lottery in favor of all playoff teams. (reward winning).
(a slightly weighted draft might be all playoff teams get 2 chances to non playoff team 1).
(or just have a random drawing of all 24 teams).
2.)  Open draft with all available players weighted in inverse order of finish. (bottom 6 random lottery to curb tanking). 

Right now adding another prog. to the mix makes it more frustrating.  Perhaps when some of these leagues
are no longer drawing interest it would work.  Ash & Sly have a great league going and  it'll need 3 or 4 more
seasons to see how it turns out.

11/13/2012 6:18 PM
I'm in if I make the cut and pass the review process!
11/13/2012 10:35 PM
I will be revisiting this idea soon.
11/27/2012 11:41 AM
To anyone reading this post. If you're tired of the constant stalling of theme leagues and want a fresh start with a league full of proven committed owners, then voice your opinions on this league idea. It works so much better if we are all a part of the foundation before it begins to build up. If you want in, then tell me so and we will start the process of creating rules as a collective.
11/27/2012 11:46 AM
I want the PCL to work. I didn't invest the time I did for nothing. I drafted with the idea that i would have the best Rodman season at the same time as the best Wade season. And then the awesome Mourning half year with Jayson Williams best season at PF? Beast mode. I'm starting to doubt that will happen though.

I don't know if I'm willing to put in the time to research and manage for a team long term when there doesnt seem to be 24 different BB owners on this site that will do the same.
11/27/2012 12:20 PM
I understand where you're coming from. I am right there with you and my team has been solid so far. I am still willing to try though.
11/27/2012 12:25 PM
But if I'm going to throw out some ideas to make a progressive league that will be attractive to new owners... maybe like a fantasy football league with keepers, 4 per year with a 8 round draft every year. Or setting aside say 20 players that are released into the draft pool as necessary to give new owners a chance at a franchise player.
The problem to me is that every concession you make to attract new owners hurts owners that draft well.
11/27/2012 12:26 PM
It seems the initial prog draft is the key especially on a
PCL type league because all the franchise players
are taken.
Draft well and your competitive for many seasons.
Draft poorly and it takes a few seasons to turn it around
which can be frustrating and new owners don't want terrible
teams.
So a balance is needed. Reward smart owners who draft well
and give losing teams an opportunity to draft franchise players.
I think that's why the ODL is popular it redrafts anew every
season.
11/27/2012 4:01 PM
Posted by seapilots on 11/27/2012 4:01:00 PM (view original):
are taken.
teams.
season.
Exactly.
How many franchise players would you say there are though? And why should someone who manages to grab two or three great players have to drop one of them because he runs out of contract years?
Because really with contract years, what will happen is a good owner is going to be giving their initial 3rd round pick (which for my PCL Bandits was Alonzo Mourning) to a new owners through the draft. Granted everyone is playing under the same rules, but I just don't like it. If you give out too many contract years it's no different than any other progressive. Too few and I have no interest in joining, because we're basically redrafting our teams every year. Sounds like the ODL.

Maybe if a progressive league allowed clones in a way. An initial draft, then starting from sometime in the 60s or 70s each years draft class is added to the available draft pool. This would make the draft each season much more interesting and allow new owners at a chance for actual franchise players. If set up this way, the clones would never be in the same season at the same time. A 52 million cap would keep any team from getting way too powerful. 
11/27/2012 4:35 PM (edited)
ill all for starting a new progressive league with membership invite only....but i think we need to simplify things here

i say we do it like the pcl....52 mil hard cap every year

but EVERY player in the database progresses at the same time...i think that would better help lottery teams

once a player retires hes done...no reset

have it run for only 10-15 years(im sure someone can figure out when the database gets to small to continue) and then do v2

what do you guys think?
11/27/2012 5:04 PM
i think the draft day decisions would be pretty fun....do you cut your pf with 7 more solid seasons for the the pf who is about to have 2 dominant years and then fade out?
11/27/2012 5:08 PM
I ran a hockey league a few years back called CRAP.. Crazy random Progressive.. I took players from set salary tiers and built random draft classes that spread the league's talent out over a set number of seasons. The Nba talent pool is not as fair to do this with however.
11/27/2012 6:08 PM
I am at work, but later tonight I am going to create some kind of rough draft outline as to how this will work.
11/27/2012 6:22 PM
What does everyone think about this rule, just toying with ideas. Each season during the keeper stage, you have to keep six active players and must drop six. It will also help with team construction and if an owner bails, the new owner coming in won't have to worry about the guys he is left with. Obviously six is a number I am throwing out, it kind of goes with the idea of having only so many guys that can be retained each year.
11/27/2012 6:24 PM
Posted by Ginandjuice on 11/27/2012 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by seapilots on 11/27/2012 4:01:00 PM (view original):
are taken.
teams.
season.
Exactly.
How many franchise players would you say there are though? And why should someone who manages to grab two or three great players have to drop one of them because he runs out of contract years?
Because really with contract years, what will happen is a good owner is going to be giving their initial 3rd round pick (which for my PCL Bandits was Alonzo Mourning) to a new owners through the draft. Granted everyone is playing under the same rules, but I just don't like it. If you give out too many contract years it's no different than any other progressive. Too few and I have no interest in joining, because we're basically redrafting our teams every year. Sounds like the ODL.

Maybe if a progressive league allowed clones in a way. An initial draft, then starting from sometime in the 60s or 70s each years draft class is added to the available draft pool. This would make the draft each season much more interesting and allow new owners at a chance for actual franchise players. If set up this way, the clones would never be in the same season at the same time. A 52 million cap would keep any team from getting way too powerful. 
Depending on your definition of a franchise player, perhaps less than 30.  Why would someone take over a mediocre team if they have very little chance of improving the team to the status of contender?  Having a limited number of contract years would be very different than the ODL.  With regards to clones, if that was going to happen, I'd rather it be a double draft progressive.
11/27/2012 9:20 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.