Is it time to remove AAA from open leagues? Topic

Well, I definitely would not want to increase the cap in an open league... The higher the cap, the fewer players who are good at that cap. 

Keeping the cap at $80m means that you'd have to have a pitching staff of 1300 IP or so, which means you need to bring your team's WHIP over 1.00.   Similarly, it means that you would need another 800-1000 PA, which means you have a few more guys with OBP below .400.

I think it makes sense to kill AAA. 
11/14/2012 7:15 PM
Removing AAA (or at least decreasing the variability in AAA players) makes sense.

Perhaps at the same time they could reconsider the price of '08 Joss...
11/14/2012 7:41 PM
I don't think raising the OL cap to $90k and reducing the AAA count by 50% would cause problems in the game.  I see biglenr's point and don't necessarily disagree, but it would end up being fine.  What we really need are some updated salary adjustments. 
11/14/2012 8:31 PM
All good points... bottom line is no matter what you do you're never going to make everyone happy. AAA adds flexibility which can be especially nice for noobies. For veteran players it adds the ablity to strategize a bit. The AAA "luck of the draw" can be argued both ways.

I agree with grizzly, AAA is part of the essence of WIS. I too would argue for real names for AAA players... but the unknown quality of AAA players is also part of the essence of WIS.

Having been on the site for 8 years, I would bet the answer to this request is "set up a theme league with open league rules and no AAA." Funny thing is, I can't recall ever seeing that theme league advertised. Maybe someone should jump on that! I'd join for the variety.
11/15/2012 10:39 AM
I enjoy the OL format, and prefer it to remain unchanged. But perhaps WIS could add variations to the OL, giving say another choice. In another
Type of OL, do what you suggest and eliminate the AAA, but perhaps add a small cash influx after 25 games so owners can still try to improve their team with the WW. An advantage to OL over themes is they fill up much more quickly. I'd love to see another variation.
12/5/2012 2:09 AM
I definitely agree with Grizzly that real names are the way to go: they make life much less complicated in the progs that I play in that use real name AAA.

As to the issue of abolishing AAA in OLs - I don't know. I think I may have even posted a comment calling for this some time last year when I was running out of patience with OLs (here is an opportunity for boogerlips to find such a post and slam me with it). 

I actually find that a limited use of AAA in progressive leagues is helpful. In OLs - I don't know because there the careful drafting is the whole point - a team has a theme, reflects a philosophy and so on and then a couple of excellent AAA ringers can swing a division race. 

Maybe limiting them only to rookie seasons. Not sure. But I won't dismiss out of hand anything biglenr suggests. 
12/5/2012 1:52 PM
ps biglenr was it you that suggested those Harry Turtledove books to me ? If so thanks.
12/5/2012 1:52 PM
Posted by italyprof on 12/5/2012 1:52:00 PM (view original):
ps biglenr was it you that suggested those Harry Turtledove books to me ? If so thanks.
Yes.

Sounds like you enjoyed them. 

12/5/2012 2:32 PM
i like the aaa players it adds fun to managing and drafting i dont have a problem with people drafting with using aaa players to rotate with players and cut some bench players and strenghten their team thats the fun of drafting and general managing
12/12/2012 2:23 AM
◂ Prev 12
Is it time to remove AAA from open leagues? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.