Alex Anthopolous Topic

Just give him Executive of the Year for 2013 right now if this trade goes through
11/13/2012 7:43 PM
Really?  Selling the farm for Bonifacio, Reyes and three old men?  It only puts you into the hunt while sending the payroll through the roof and setting the franchise up for lean times past 2014.
11/13/2012 7:55 PM
Selling the farm? I guess it depends how much of their farm system they're giving up, but losing Escobar, Hechevarria and Alvarez is not crippling in any way.
11/13/2012 7:57 PM
Why?  He picked up two backloaded deals signed last year for guys who are now a year older in Reyes and Buehrle, and then added some value in Bonifacio and a risky, but very talented pitcher for one year in Josh Johnson.  To do this, he gave up some pretty good prospects in Marisnick, Henderson Alvarez, and Justin Nicolino.  The Blue Jays have drafted well, which gave them the prospects to trade, and ownership has finally allowed them to increase their payroll.  They were not happy with Yunel Escobar, but how much better off are they now than if they had signed Anibal Sanchez, maybe Shaun Marcum, and maybe Stephen Drew and Marco Scutaro or something.  That wouldn't have costed Marisnick, Alvarez, and Nicolino.
11/13/2012 7:59 PM
oh and Hechevarria
11/13/2012 7:59 PM
I think they would have been better off signing two free agent pitchers and trying to trade for a shortstop without Reyes's contract.  
11/13/2012 8:01 PM
Rogers has money to spend. Now their SS spot is filled for 5 years. Costly? Yes, but Reyes will give them better production than anyone else would have at that spot, by far. Alvarez is good, but about even with Buehrle, and no where near as good as a healthy Johnson. Last year was rough, but I think that was the exception, not the rule.

The Jays have some good pieces, but they've had a couple rough years - by the time those prospects got to town, the Jays would be heading for another rebuild. A lineup with Lawrie, Reyes, Bautista, Encarnacion and Rasmus is solid. Plus they also kept D'Arnaud, who's one of their top prospects and should be around soon. Other than the money, which Rogers has to spend, I don't see how this is a bad deal for the Jays.
11/13/2012 8:05 PM
I'm guessing he flips Buerhle with Arrencibia and gets a 1B/DH.
11/13/2012 8:06 PM
Not to mention the Jays clearly have a conditioning problem with some of their younger pitchers. I think 7 have gotten Tommy John in the last few years. Johnson and Buehrle are veteran, established guys who will eat innings, which TO desperately needs from their rotation this season and beyond.
11/13/2012 8:07 PM
Posted by jonas1102 on 11/13/2012 8:07:00 PM (view original):
I'm guessing he flips Buerhle with Arrencibia and gets a 1B/DH.
Ya, the fact they got Buck says JP or D'Arnaud is on the way out of town. I would say JP too. Buck starts next season with D'Arnaud as the backup, and then D'Arnaud takes over midway through the year.
11/13/2012 8:08 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 11/13/2012 8:07:00 PM (view original):
Not to mention the Jays clearly have a conditioning problem with some of their younger pitchers. I think 7 have gotten Tommy John in the last few years. Johnson and Buehrle are veteran, established guys who will eat innings, which TO desperately needs from their rotation this season and beyond.
Yeah, Josh Johnson is the definition of an "innings eater."  How are they better off with those guys than Elvis Andrus, Anibal Sanchez, and Shaun Marcum?  They could have gotten Andrus with that package and signed those guys with the same amount of money.
11/13/2012 8:15 PM
They could not have got Andrus.
11/13/2012 8:17 PM
The Rangers have already said they're not trading Andrus - and if they did, it would take a ton to get him. And you're assuming Marcum and Sanchez were coming to Toronto. I'm sure they have more appealing offers out there, and maybe AA realized that.

As for Josh Johnson - he's thrown 183IP+ in 3 of the last 4 years. Team lead for the Jays last season was 187IP. Johnson will give them much needed innings in the rotation.
11/13/2012 8:21 PM
Seems to me that Toronto recognizes that the Yanks will likely take a step back, question whether Balt was real, knows Boston sucks balls and think it's time to strike.   NY/Boston won't be down forever.
11/13/2012 8:32 PM (edited)
Boston may lose 120 games next year though, at this rate.
11/13/2012 8:32 PM
1234 Next ▸
Alex Anthopolous Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.