I would like to see the cap at between 70-75 million starting with the year 1920thru2012  At game 100 all 8 AAA can come up, but at 120 you settle on 4 players 4-0,3-1,2-2,also starting at 1920-2012. The 20 year span is ok with me. Also the 6 teams 3 in the National 3 in the American with the worst records in there east,central and west division at 50 games can bring up there AAA players,is this even feasible?  Also you can select one hurler and one batter as your EXLUSIVE. the hitters and pitcher min and max are fine the way they are.
11/17/2012 9:50 AM
Posted by batgems on 11/17/2012 9:50:00 AM (view original):
I would like to see the cap at between 70-75 million starting with the year 1920thru2012  At game 100 all 8 AAA can come up, but at 120 you settle on 4 players 4-0,3-1,2-2,also starting at 1920-2012. The 20 year span is ok with me. Also the 6 teams 3 in the National 3 in the American with the worst records in there east,central and west division at 50 games can bring up there AAA players,is this even feasible?  Also you can select one hurler and one batter as your EXLUSIVE. the hitters and pitcher min and max are fine the way they are.
With the HR/9 limit on the pitchers, limitimg the seasons, IMO, loses some of its value. Old timerswith that high of a HR/9 ratio aren't too desirable. I have wrestled a lot with variations on the AAA system. I thought about putting limits on them for BA, and WHIP, along with the regular restrictions, and let them be used at will. But, the way we did it last year has its valueas well. The exclusive player seems to be gaining momentum, I think that will be in. I dowant to emphasize that no definite decision has been reached. I am hoping for more input, and more ideas. If we use the AAA more freely, then I would go for a lower cap. The more restrictive the AAA would play would encourage a higher cap.
11/17/2012 1:22 PM
First of all, I really enjoy the league as it is and I've learned quite a bit from it. I really like the low cap and AB/IP parameters. The AAA set up is challenging for me in that I really had to think about who to rest early and who to pull out for the season and that challenge makes it really enjoyable. Too many times I wish I could have more up at once.   But again, that challenge makes it more enjoyable to me. I think adding an owner created blacklist (1 pitcher, 1 hitter) and exclusive era's would be great enhancements, especially if the blacklist is selected following the era selections. In regards to SB's, rather than limiting them by total quantity why not limit it by overall team RL SB%? Set the maximum at say 60% success rate for the team. Or enact the max % if the total team RL SB's exceeds 60? Just a thought. In regards to the AAA system, I really would have liked to have 2 more pitchers to choose from with the rest of the current parameters. Would have made my decisions of who to bring up and when a little more challenging. Leaving the 2-2 / 3-1 call-ups the same for the 100-120 period I would like still but add 4-0 to the final call up at 120. I like it at average and wouldn't change it up or down. But I also like the idea of reaching loss milestones in order to bring up AAA players, but maybe keep the 100-120 call-up period. Anyways, just the thoughts of someone who has only played for a few months. Like I said in the beginning, I enjoy it alot the way it is but am sure I would enjoy alot of the ideas that have also been proposed here.
11/17/2012 6:33 PM
pfatt - I HUGELY vote for keeping average AAA.  They are more than good enough to make an impact.  You go to above average and they will make too big of an impact in my opinion.  I think a franchise for AAA would completely eliminate AAA overlap.  Could use reverse records - last place team chooses franchise first (although I'd be hugely disappointed if I didn't get the Giants!).  You could even allow a franchise to be picked twice, and would have very limited overlap and would eliminate somebody being stuck with the Padres or Astros.  I like the 4/0 ideas.  If I don't need pitching help it would be nice to use 4 hitters, or use all hitters through 100-120 and then call up my pitchers at 120 for a big influx of pitching help for the stretch run.  I don't like the team SB idea.  You could draft Ricky Henderson and then just find one of those big hitting old timers who went 5-37 in stolen bases and set his SB frequency to zero.  I really don't like the cap above $70M.  $75M tops.  I don't like to threaten but if the cap raises to $80 or above I may bail as it's just an open league with a couple restrictions at that point.  I think the low cap makes it much more realistic and makes you make decisions.  You want a $6m hitter or an $8m pitcher, you must suffer elsewhere.  One league I played in that I loved was an albatross league.  $60m cap and you had to have one pitcher and one hitter with a salary between $7.5-$8M.  It was fun to see who's albatrosses did the best.

11/18/2012 12:23 PM
I like the general setup we currently have. My recommendations would be just for changing the player pool around a bit. My recommendation would be to up the minimum PA to 150 or 200, and then have the IP range changed to 75-150 with each team allowed to have one pitcher between 150-250 IP OR one hitter with 500+ PA.

Havin the higher PA min will force owners to draft from a largely different pool of hitters than currently, and while there would be a few familiar pitchers in the exception pitchers, most of the pitchers would be very different.

And both changes will still keep the rest of the league foundations and goals intact. A league that requires management and platooning and is lower cap with an influx of AAA at game 100. I'd prefer to not have to call up AAA pitchers and go with a 4-0 call up, but I'm ok with the 3-1 and 2-2 options.
11/18/2012 6:25 PM
These are my thoughts, please tell me yours. I will create next season as soon as I am sure we have the most agreement possible on what we want.
70m cap
Hitters:100- 500 PA/162, 40 SB limit. Pitchers: 60- 225 IP/162, min .25/9 HR allowed. Same as last year.
AAA: 6/2 average U-Pic. This season, the transaction deadline will be on. Every team may call up a AAA player at each 15 loss increment. they reach. At the 90 game mark, we may call up AAA, rosters set at game 105. Under no circumstances can anyone ever have more than 5 AAA players up, 4/1 or 3/2.
No clones, trades, WW.
You may draft 5 200k players to make room for your AAA call ups. These players may not ever appear in a game.
As you enter the league, you may claim one exclusive player or pitcher, not subject to league usage limitations. This player is yours, and yours alone. No other season or variation of these exclusive players may be used by anyone else. They do count against the cap. If a hitter, he cannot have a BA higher than ,320,  HR/100PA higher than 5. Exclusive Ps must have a WHIP higher than 1.1. These players are also subject to all other league performance limitations.
As you enter the league, you will also designate a 20 year period, from which all your players, including AAA and exclusive,  and ballparks, must come. Your 20 year span will be exclusive, but there will be some overlap.

11/20/2012 10:46 PM (edited)

Random thoughts;
Owners choose a team with all players drafted playing for that one team historically. First come first choice and so on. All league parameters would be the same except as in real baseball you use the minor leagues throughout the season. The object to me should be to simulate true to life baseball. Your not drafting a team of all-stars, you should be managing the team by maximizing strengths and minimizing weaknesses. The u-Pick major league players would be fill in players only with restrictions of 100PA and 40IP. I've truly enjoyed playing in this league and appreciate pfattcatt's efforts. There are so many holes in the engine's logic that I would really like to participate in a league that mirrors RL performance. By the way, you can only choose a field or stadium that the selected team called home. Thanks to all for a great league.

11/21/2012 9:37 AM
To make sure I understand: We can draft 5 200K scrubs that do not have to conform to the min IP/PA requirements, but if we draft them, they can never be used in a game?

So long as we're not obligated to do so, I'm OK with that.

(Edited to add: HR/100PA < 5, or HR/100AB < 5? The former metric isn't an option...)

11/21/2012 1:13 PM
Wow. So many thoughts... All I ask is that we keep the basics that have made this league so much fun in tact. It seems like the suggested new league has more changes than simple tweaks. I agree with all that Big has talked about at the beginning of the post. In our league forum I suggested what Big talked about: Blacklist a player. We could do that in the league we are in now and in that forum. Keep all other things the same. I suppose a little higher cap might be beneficial--but not higher than 75mil. I would change NOTHING else. This keeps the premise the same with less of the same ole names.

I do like the gradual call-up based on team performance. I also like the pick a franchise idea with the same theme and restrictions. Maybe open two leagues? One as mentioned in the first paragraph and one franchised. I would probably play both, because I love the platoon system. It makes it so much more interactive. 
11/21/2012 6:38 PM
Posted by polymerguy on 11/21/2012 6:38:00 PM (view original):
Wow. So many thoughts... All I ask is that we keep the basics that have made this league so much fun in tact. It seems like the suggested new league has more changes than simple tweaks. I agree with all that Big has talked about at the beginning of the post. In our league forum I suggested what Big talked about: Blacklist a player. We could do that in the league we are in now and in that forum. Keep all other things the same. I suppose a little higher cap might be beneficial--but not higher than 75mil. I would change NOTHING else. This keeps the premise the same with less of the same ole names.

I do like the gradual call-up based on team performance. I also like the pick a franchise idea with the same theme and restrictions. Maybe open two leagues? One as mentioned in the first paragraph and one franchised. I would probably play both, because I love the platoon system. It makes it so much more interactive. 
I am positing ideas that are different from what I have seen, that might be fun. Nothing is set at this point. I do not consider this "my" league, but our league. I like the time span more than the franchise, but maybe that's just me. Th other ideas are things I hope more of us will comment on, and we can reach a reasonable consensus as to what we would like to see in the league. So EVERYONE, please keep the suggestions coming.
   Where I am really confused, as to what the consensus is, is exclusive, black list, or neither, and exactly how we should handle the AAA. Ithink the periodic call up is gaining momentum, but I am not sure if my suggestion of how to do it is the way we would like to do it.

11/21/2012 8:05 PM
Franchise or Exclusive or blacklist?

Votes: 7
(Last vote received: 11/23/2012 9:08 PM)
11/21/2012 8:08 PM
Salary Cap

(Last vote received: 11/23/2012 9:08 PM)
11/21/2012 8:09 PM
franchise or time span

(Last vote received: 11/23/2012 9:09 PM)
11/21/2012 9:25 PM
I like this league and how it is set up, so I think only tweaking it would be the thing to do. I like low caps, the hitters ranges are fine, but I would like to have less restrictions for the pitchers. Ininngs pitched range both less than 60 and more than 225 would be the change I would like to see.
11/22/2012 4:57 AM
If we blacklist and franchise, we need to be careful that not all blacklist players are one team. Also, not sure if we don't franchise that we limit a time frame of the drafted players BECAUSE we will have a TON of duplicate players if we limit teams to a 20-year span or so. I'm not a fan of the time-period draft and wouldn't purchase a team for it. UNLESS, each player gets their own time frame. Even then, it will promote some duplicates.  
11/22/2012 8:59 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.