How do you explain WiS to friends? Topic

I was thinking about starting a team but my question is how much time does this game take per day?
11/22/2012 10:24 AM
Per day, one team would take 10 or so minutes, 3 times a day. At the beginning of each season, a little more time is necessary for the free agent/ coach hiring process.
11/22/2012 10:50 AM
Posted by chisox378 on 11/22/2012 10:24:00 AM (view original):
I was thinking about starting a team but my question is how much time does this game take per day?
There's a pretty steep learning curve. It's a ton of fun but you should prepare yourself to spend some time learning how the game works.

Once youre comfortable, it takes no more than 15 minutes a day on most days.
11/22/2012 11:19 AM
It's more just checking in everyday. Some days it can take 30 mins, some days it can take 2 mins. Although after awhile you get addicted and end up checking it 10-15 times a day on your phone.
11/22/2012 12:52 PM
so its best to learn about the game before signing up? thank you guys for your helpfull advice.
11/22/2012 12:53 PM
I'd suggest picking up a team and getting a mentor to help you through the first couple seasons before you pick up on all the intricacies of the game. 

Also, don't make any trades until you really have a grasp on the ratings, advanced scouting, etc. 
11/22/2012 12:59 PM
Chisox,

Just sign up.  You'll learn as you go, just like we all did.

Find a good non-tard league with helpful veteran owners.  They'll provide great advice.

Get a mentor to bounce stuff off of.  Lots of us are willing to do that.

Some days I spend more than an hour doing this, miserable winter days, for example.  Spend as much time as you wish.  It's great fun.

PM me if you wish.

11/22/2012 12:59 PM
I used to talk about this game to everybody I knew, trying to get all my friends to join.  Most of my friends are either computer nerds, or huge sports jocks, or like me, both.  So naturally since HBD combines 2 things I'm quite fond of (sports and computers) I love it and I assumed all my friends would too.  Most people I tried to explain this game to would think it's stupid.  I used to explain kind of like this:  "Think of playing a dynasty mode in Madden, except it's baseball instead of football.  Now think of if you just let the computer simulate all your games, and all you did was make trades, do the draft, hire coaches, etc.  That's what HBD is like."  If that didn't work then I'd fall back on "It's fantasy baseball but with fake players."  When I tried to get people to join, they'd decline either because of money, time, or because this game is only for losers and they don't consider themself one of those.  I did get one friend to join and he played one season before quitting (he said he liked it alot but he just didn't have time to log in--at that time he had 2 jobs).  Another friend picked a team in the same division as me and and has been playing for about 11-12 seasons now. 
11/23/2012 1:21 PM
You guys actually admit that you do this?
11/25/2012 6:52 PM
◂ Prev 123
How do you explain WiS to friends? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.