Maryland & Rutgers to Big Ten? Topic

Posted by inkdskn on 11/19/2012 5:42:00 PM (view original):
Where I live, ABC/CBS/ESPN/FOX show all the good games people want to watch.

ESPN3 shows all the crappy games that only alumni want to see.

Conf. channels show the shittiest games that even ESPN3 doesn't air.

Big10 crap seems to always come on in the noonish timeslot on ESPN/ESPN2. They also occasionally come on ABC. Is ABC or whatever blacked out in those areas if a big10 game is on (ie, is that game shown on the conference channel)? That seems impossible, since many big10 games are going on at the same time. I feel like they're just trying to add games to their conference channel, which only shows **** games no one watches. Am I missing something, or is that simply the goal? i.e., to take Rutgers/MD off the air and only be available in the new markets on their subpar conference channel? Is that the goal? If so, they are dicks. If I were a fan of one of those teams, I would resent that.

They're about even with the Big East/ACC in my eyes. What a joke. Better on-field product = better conference, at least in the long run, imo.
The Big Ten Network plays at least 2 games of every single team every year (and 1 has to be a conference game).  ESPN/ABC has first tier access and thus has first pick so it isn't like OSU v. Michigan will ever be on the Big Ten Network, but every team plays at least twice a year on the Big Ten Network.
11/19/2012 7:01 PM (edited)
They have confirmed Illinois is going to the Legends (M's, N's and Iowa) and Maryland and Rutgers will join the Leaders (OWPI).
11/19/2012 6:56 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 11/19/2012 6:34:00 PM (view original):
you all do realize that FoxSports owns a majority of the Big10 network so the majority of the dollars from Big10 network goes to FoxSports.

the SEC has had every opportunity in the world to start their own network but is smart enough to understand a SEC Network doesn't translate into more viewership.  SEC-CBS-ESPN relationship is the gold standard in college sports right now.

Give this 5 years and guarantee you all will regret the Big10 adding Rutgers and Maryland

Fox Entertainment Group owns 51%.  The Big Ten owns 49%.  So yeah Fox owns a majority, but it isn't like the Big Ten doesn't make a ton of money in the deal.

11/19/2012 7:01 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/19/2012 7:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cravedogg on 11/19/2012 6:34:00 PM (view original):
you all do realize that FoxSports owns a majority of the Big10 network so the majority of the dollars from Big10 network goes to FoxSports.

the SEC has had every opportunity in the world to start their own network but is smart enough to understand a SEC Network doesn't translate into more viewership.  SEC-CBS-ESPN relationship is the gold standard in college sports right now.

Give this 5 years and guarantee you all will regret the Big10 adding Rutgers and Maryland

Fox Entertainment Group owns 51%.  The Big Ten owns 49%.  So yeah Fox owns a majority, but it isn't like the Big Ten doesn't make a ton of money in the deal.

I don't have the contract in front of me but I think the percentages on the deal can change in more favor in Fox in the future.  Depends on viewership and adverting.  Fox is guaranteed a certain revenue stream on the deal.
11/19/2012 8:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2012 3:42:00 PM (view original):
As I said earlier, smarter people with more information makes these decisions.   There's no way that bringing in Rutgers/MD damages the B1G product or hurts revenues.  

Don't believe me, I'm just another dumbass on the internet, but say this out loud.   "I'm the commissioner of the B1G and bringing in Rutgers/MD will make our conference and bottomline worse."    Then ask yourself if that makes sense.
This is about as clear as anyone can make it.

The B1G must have pretty solid information about the increase in TV contract negotiations because they can add three pretty big markets.

Just like Mizzou. They certainly don't "add value" to the SEC. At least on the football field, but they bring the ST Louis market, and just about the rest of the whole state with them, so it's a good move, financially, for the rest of the conference.

11/19/2012 8:33 PM
Big East has added Tulane as a full member to replace Rutgers and has added East Carolina as a football only member (to get back to an even number).
11/27/2012 4:04 PM
Louisville apparently is the ACC's pick to replace Maryland.  A vote will come later today from the ACC board, but I can't imagine they make that vote without knowing ahead of time they are going to vote in favor of Louisville joining.
11/28/2012 8:39 AM
I think it is a done deal
11/28/2012 10:22 AM
Posted by cravedogg on 11/28/2012 10:22:00 AM (view original):
I think it is a done deal
Yep.  Looks like they voted.  Apparently Connecticut and Cincinnati were also considered briefly, but were both quickly shot down and might not have even been voted in had Louisville not been an option.  I find that very interesting.

Big 12 should have invited Louisville and Cincinnati when it added West Virginia last year.  Would have made a nice little 3 team pod and gotten them back to 12.  Now if it ever wants to expand again it will likely have to go to the ACC which will make it a lot more difficult (as a result of the massive buy out).

11/28/2012 11:42 AM
Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee joining CUSA from the Sun Belt.
11/28/2012 2:20 PM
◂ Prev 12345
Maryland & Rutgers to Big Ten? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.